McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Snowblindoz

Re: McLaren MCL38

I'm not buying that sidepod comparison from nicolas carpentiers. He points to a difference at the top of the Dell logo, but if you look at the join of the body panel that comes forward horizontally from the suspension point, it's clear to see that the logo is applied quite differently, and the difference in the gap at the top between the bulge and the drivers number, can be accounted for by the different camera angles, the one from Monza being slightly lower.

mclaren111

Emag
Emag

Snowblindoz wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 15:09
I'm not buying that sidepod comparison from nicolas carpentiers. He points to a difference at the top of the Dell logo, but if you look at the join of the body panel that comes forward horizontally from the suspension point, it's clear to see that the logo is applied quite differently, and the difference in the gap at the top between the bulge and the drivers number, can be accounted for by the different camera angles, the one from Monza being slightly lower.
I agree, I can’t actually see any significant differences. The paint scheme being mostly black makes it difficult to see shapes clearly anyway.

KimiRai
KimiRai

michl420
michl420

I don´t see a difference. Is it possible that the new one just have a greater cut-out for more heat exit louvres?
I also think the green arrow is likely a minimum radius (75mm?) area, meaning it is as small as allowed.

Farnborough
Farnborough

michl420 wrote:
08 Sep 2024, 09:49
I don´t see a difference. Is it possible that the new one just have a greater cut-out for more heat exit louvres?
I also think the green arrow is likely a minimum radius (75mm?) area, meaning it is as small as allowed.
Agree.

Check the different aspect, the left image having a notably different "elevation" of camera image plane than the other.

Look at the view of front suspension between the two to recognise this difference, they are effectively of a different profile of the same side pod topography it looks like.

Darth-Piekus

Got anything new for Baku?

mwillems

The pictures so far do not show the new "Monza" wing. I will be highly surprised if it will run in anger here despite what the team alluded to. Silverstone wing here?

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

_cerber1

Singapore check?

Vanja #66

mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 10:33
The pictures so far do not show the new "Monza" wing. I will be highly surprised if it will run in anger here despite what the team alluded to. Silverstone wing here?

https://i.ibb.co/QNfpMpt/RWBaku.png
Jeddah, Australia, Miami, Imola, mid-low spec. Way too big, might be just a test of sorts, or a wing they use for shipping
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

They probably have something else in the garage, because this is some serious drag.

Will they do that thing where they run this in FP1 than in FP2 with the more rubbered in track they go for "normal" levels of drag/downforce.

Francis Bacon
Francis Bacon

michl420 wrote:
I see quite a difference revealed in the chord length and diameter of the cooling louvers.

michl420
michl420

Francis Bacon wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 15:34
michl420 wrote:
I see quite a difference revealed in the chord length and diameter of the cooling louvers.
That´s what I mean. The only difference I see is, that the insert with the cooling louvers is different.

mclaren111

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 12:38
mwillems wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 10:33

https://i.ibb.co/QNfpMpt/RWBaku.png
Jeddah, Australia, Miami, Imola, mid-low spec. Way too big, might be just a test of sorts, or a wing they use for shipping
Indeed, they brought two wings, the wings ran at Spa and Monza, and the wing we saw initially that was run at Miami and Imola.

Team look to be running with the Low downforce Monza wing for FP3, both cars having the same wing on today after gathering data between the two wings yesterday.

As expected, the ultra low downforce wing will not run, and I can't imagine it will be used at all this year.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit