2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

MCLvamos wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:44
Was Verstappen on new softs? Both McLarens were on new Softs, but they did set their times a while before the others.
Probably doing banker laps, which means there is still some caution by the drivers to make sure they don’t exceed track limits… Last lap in Q they will probably throw caution to the wind and go for it… Will be interesting to know if they are on the hunt for pole… But so far, pace looks pretty good

Darth-Piekus

MCLvamos wrote:
Was Verstappen on new softs? Both McLarens were on new Softs, but they did set their times a while before the others.
I suppose all were on new softs but track evolved quickly. On another note what is Stroll still doing in F1? Fernando has obliterated him into dust.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 06 Oct 2023, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

MCLvamos wrote:
VER was on new softs on his last run.
He was on used softs on his first run (one Lando and Oscar were just a bit faster than).

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:46
MCLvamos wrote:
I suppose all were on new softs but track evolved quickly.
True, just wanted to find out if Max's advantage was Japan level or maybe a little less of a gap to the McLarens. I guess we'll find out in the next few minutes!

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:42
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:38

Not sure if I understand the question, lol… a Maximum Lap Time would make sure they don’t go too slow, therefore speeding them up
Ah yes - maximum time - you have to be faster than that time meaning you can't go too slow.
Minimum time lol

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-exten ... rule-monza
That article makes no sense. Rule for minimal lap time is silly as there is no danger if cars are quick on outlaps. It is dangerous if many drivers do slow cooldown laps.

This is what F1 reported:
"INCIDENT INVOLVING CARS 44 (HAM), 22 (TSU), 40 (LAW), 81 (PIA) NOTED - FAILING TO FOLLOW RACE DIRECTORS INSTRUCTIONS – MAXIMUM LAP TIME"
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 06 Oct 2023, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

Still despite the result the team finally has a car to go for second best.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:48
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:42

Ah yes - maximum time - you have to be faster than that time meaning you can't go too slow.
Minimum time lol

That article makes no sense. Rule for minimal lap time is silly as there is no danger if cars are quick on outlaps. It is dangerous if many drivers do slow cooldown laps.

"INCIDENT INVOLVING CARS 44 (HAM), 22 (TSU), 40 (LAW), 81 (PIA) NOTED - FAILING TO FOLLOW RACE DIRECTORS INSTRUCTIONS – MAXIMUM LAP TIME"
There is both a minimum and maximum lap time, I was going from your original description which was of a minimum lap time, not a maximum one.

But both serve the same purpose which is to ensure that those on an outlap do not interfere with racing laps by going too slow or too fast so if they have broken the max rule then it is the same principal but the other end of the scale. it is so they don't go so fast that they can't cause issues.

The article explains minimum time just fine.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Norris and his track limits!!
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:51
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Minimum time lol

There is both a minimum and maximum lap time, I was going from your original description which was of a minimum lap time, not a maximum one.

But both serve the same purpose which is to ensure that those on an outlap do not interfere with racing laps by going too slow or too fast so if they have broken the max rule then it is the same principal but the other end of the scale. it is so they don't go so fast that they can't cause issues.

There can’t be a “Minimum Lap Time”… Lol

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:55
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

There can’t be a “Minimum Lap Time”… Lol
None the less, there is one!

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Minimum time lol

I think there is no "minimum" laptime and that it is matter of how you frame it (what is your frame of reference). If it is time - this is maximum time that can be done, but if it is car speed - this is minimum/worst car speed/laptime you can do.

When you check articles with "minimum laptime" - they always talk about going too slow.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 19:57
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

I think there is no "minimum" laptime and that it is matter of how you frame it (what is your frame of reference). If it is time - this is maximum time that can be done, but if it is car speed - this is minimum/worst car speed/laptime you can do.

When you check articles with "minimum laptime" - they always talk about going too slow.

Yes, exactly, there is a minimum and maximum laptime to ensure traffic doesn't interfere with Qualy laps as extremes at either end would cause a problem.

Reading the rules, the minimum time applies to in lap only, the article was talking about it being extended to in and outlaps at Monza, but here there is a minimum time on inlaps.

Your description of the infringement was of someone going too slow, not too fast, hence it seemed they'd broke the minimum lap time rule.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Very weak qualifying by Norris. Mistake in each part.

Quick but couldn't keep it on track.

If he gets a grid penalty as well - it might be a long day tomorrow.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 06 Oct 2023, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

I don't think Lando is gonna keep P2. He went off track limits I'm afraid and he will probably get his time deleted by that BS rule. There should be leniency regarding understeering.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 06 Oct 2023, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:02
Very weak qualifying by Norris. Mistake in each part.

Quick but couldn't keep it on track.
Only followed it on the app but P2 was the maximum today? I saw nothing that made me think he had a 23.6 in him?
Just a fan's point of view