2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

He looks comparable on power as you can see after the exit of turn 2 and on the home straight. He seems lose speed from the exit of turn 10 and continues to lose down the straight, but also through the higher speed section, so a mix of power and downforce.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Didn't see it. But, I can live with messing up with a fast car. It happens when pushing. If we are messing up with slow car it's more of a problem l.

Seerix
Seerix

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:14
Didn't see it. But, I can live with messing up with a fast car. It happens when pushing. If we are messing up with slow car it's more of a problem l.
Quite the opposite. Messing up in slow car is ok because they need to overdrive it to be fast. Messing up easy p2 p3/p4 is much worse.
There might be an entertaining race on Sunday, but they should be keeping Max in check and they will be scrapping for top4 instead.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ben1980 wrote:
In my book Lando has a lot of credit left to make a few mistakes here and there… He has been placing the McLaren in positions it had no right to be in for quite a while now.

And between pushing maybe trying to get a pole and difficult conditions on the track (green / slippery + windy) can’t really punish the guy… Also, some seem to think that just scrubbing a tenth or two is easy job… Taking it easy could have well placed them in P6 or below… They took a risk for the front row and it didn’t pay off, it happens

Ben1980
Ben1980

Seerix wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:18
Ben1980 wrote:
Quite the opposite. Messing up in slow car is ok because they need to overdrive it to be fast. Messing up easy p2 p3/p4 is much worse.
There might be an entertaining race on Sunday, but they should be keeping Max in check and they will be scrapping for top4 instead.
In just, in not that bothered. It's something that can happen, one of those things. The car is fine, in fact it's good.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Just remembered that all that sand is still gonna be sitting there off-line, any overtakes will have to be simple DRS passes on the main straight. Imo the team should see what the racing is like tomorrow and, if its extremely tricky to pass, just take the penalty on Lando's car to maximise the races coming up

And a question? If they did change the engine after the sprint, would that be a pitlane start or would there be a further penalty like Sargeant last week? Ik if its a normal weekend and you do it after quali its a pitlane but idk if its different with a sprint too.

Ben1980
Ben1980

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:27
Ben1980 wrote:
In my book Lando has a lot of credit left to make a few mistakes here and there… He has been placing the McLaren in positions it had no right to be in for quite a while now.

And between pushing maybe trying to get a pole and difficult conditions on the track (green / slippery + windy) can’t really punish the guy… Also, some seem to think that just scrubbing a tenth or two is easy job… Taking it easy could have well placed them in P6 or below… They took a risk for the front row and it didn’t pay off, it happens
Yep. It's just something that can happen. We aren't really challenging for anything overall, so try amd push and take the consequences. It's all fine with me.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

You are right of course, in the context of this season. But when we start pushing hard at the front of the constructors championship and the drivers championship, these mistakes can be the difference. I think what some are suggesting is that Lando may make a few too many mistakes on Qualy laps and not be able to max his speed consistently like others can.

It doesn't make a difference this year, but from next year onwards it may well do.

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:36
I think what some are suggesting is that Lando may make a few too many mistakes on Qualy laps and not be able to max his speed consistently like others can.
A driver than in 5y has never been beaten in qualifying, makes “too many mistakes in Qualy”. Suuure…

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:50
LionsHeart wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:48
organic wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:45
Top speeds taken from fastest q3 runs by fastest driver of each top 5 team

https://i.imgur.com/yVghAV2.png
Thank you. Can we get the data from Lando's lap?
Included the delta to see if we can maybe see Lando losing time from lack of power

https://i.imgur.com/sQt1Fqg.png
Thank you so much!

mwillems

billamend wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:39
mwillems wrote:
I think what some are suggesting is that Lando may make a few too many mistakes on Qualy laps and not be able to max his speed consistently like others can.
A driver than in 5y has never been beaten in qualifying, makes “too many mistakes in Qualy”. Suuure…
Never been beaten in Qualy? Lando?

it's 12-5 this year to Lando, he's been beaten 5 times.
Last edited by mwillems on 06 Oct 2023, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

You are right of course, in the context of this season. But when we start pushing hard at the front of the constructors championship and the drivers championship, these mistakes can be the difference. I think what some are suggesting is that Lando may make a few too many mistakes on Qualy laps and not be able to max his speed consistently like others can.

It doesn't make a difference this year, but from next year onwards it may well do.
Well yep, but it'd pretty clear that Lando has been pretty damn good at this qualifying lark over the recent years. The odd mixup, is pretty normal anyway. Nothing to worry about.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:42
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Well yep, but it'd pretty clear that Lando has been pretty damn good at this qualifying lark over the recent years. The odd mixup, is pretty normal anyway. Nothing to worry about.
It's not a question of being good at Qualy, but when you're in a title fight and every point counts, the driver that doesn't make those mistakes gets the advantage. It becomes a question of being Consistently good at qualy.

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mwillems wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 21:40
billamend wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Never been beaten in Qualy? Lando?

it's 12-5 this year to Lando, he's been beaten 5 times.
I assume OP is referring to the qualy h2h victor.
A lion must kill its prey.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

billamend wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Lando is just a bit beyond the capabilities of the car. No one has ever beaten him in qualifying in the last 5 years, and he's made quite a few mistakes in decisive attempts in qualifying in those 5 years. One doesn't prevent the other.
At least Lando is honest with himself and the team. He's been that way many times before. I am sure he will be able to get back in the race, the main thing is not to overdo it with aggressiveness.