Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Interesting slot here on the E20

via @AbakarovShamil

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

On all images above cameras are situated at center below nosecone.So, I think cameras can be easily relocated without need for producing new prototype of wing.About image with top view, it is new front wing no doubt.Look at the endplate section which is now more complex with three profiles.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Polishboy808
Polishboy808

The nose doesn't seem that much higher at all from a portrait view, but it definetly appeared higher in those pictures.

Here are some comparisons:

Spain

China

That being said, the pylons do seem to be different, a little bit longer than those in china. But I think those were already there in Malaysia. Either way, they seem to have scrapped their front wing design language that they've been using for the past 2 years and have gone for something completely different. Lotus seem to be the only team to continualy bring new imporvements to the front wing every single race. Not even Red Bull or McLaren make as many changes to the FW as they do.

madly
madly

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Interesting slot here on the E20
Yes, indeed especially when zoomed. This is picture from Mugello test. Unfortunately it's not available in bigger size now.

madly
madly

Polishboy808 wrote:The nose doesn't seem that much higher at all from a portrait view, but it definetly appeared higher in those pictures.
I had the same feeling when I saw yesterday photos. It could be angle and camera lens changing perspective but... Look at this picture:

JMN
JMN

edit: delete

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

madly wrote:
Yes, indeed especially when zoomed. This is picture from Mugello test. Unfortunately it's not available in bigger size now.
I'm looking for better pictures so maybe we can get a better view of the new slot/duct.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Looks like Lotus is still using older front wing.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.

bhall
bhall

Polishboy808 wrote:The nose doesn't seem that much higher at all from a portrait view, but it definetly appeared higher in those pictures.
It only seems higher because the pylons connected to the wing are longer due to them being fitted more forward on the nose.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Not having much luck, but will find one. :) In the mean time here's a couple good ones.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Best qualifyings so far this season for Lotus.

madly
madly

HQ photos, right click
Oldest FW from top

New FW from top:

So far, fifth race and third FW revision.

madly
madly

OK, Mugello photos are back at at f1zooom. Look at the HQ photo (right click). I was wondering, what is purpose of this slot.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

madly wrote:
OK, Mugello photos are back at at f1zooom. Look at the HQ photo (right click). I was wondering, what is purpose of this slot.
The purpose if it is what it looks like, is to get more air flow over the central part of the diffuser. Where it's being fed from is anyones guess. It's somewhat similar to what we thinnk RB were doing yesterday with the air from their tunnel.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The purpose if it is what it looks like, is to get more air flow over the central part of the diffuser.
You really think there is going to be 'measurable' benefit to the diffuser? This is some cooling exhaust flow, component unknown, that opens into a low pressure zone.

Brian