2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I think they are 3 tenths off as is, and they have time to find dialling in the new parts. They are potentially a threat, along with Red Bull.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Mercs long run didn’t look great either
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

I know I’ll get told off again but this lad once again, he always finds a way to say Red Bull are the quickest

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... F5Amo.html

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 22:07
I know I’ll get told off again but this lad once again, he always finds a way to say Red Bull are the quickest

I was 100% sure they will predict Red Bull to be fastest. Again they are putting McLaren to be marginally slower. I am confident they are heavily massaging this data, if there is any real data at all.

I wonder how long will McLaren have to be faster until they admit it in those prediction articles.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

From AMuS

Christian Horner is still confident about the rest of the weekend: "We're there. According to our measurements, Norris had turned the engine up more. We compare ourselves more with Piastri."

Horner is also happy with the long runs, although Piastri was on average 3-tenths ahead of Max. "We were more consistent at the beginning, McLaren was better at the back. But no one was on the track long enough to find out whether the grain in the tires would go away again."

AMuS also says Piastri made a mistake on his fast lap that lost him around 2 tenths.

I'm expecting a Piastri pole and win. Norris said he's not feeling comfortable, and he's cursed on this track. Hopefully he finishes ahead of Verstappen.

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 22:29
CjC wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 22:07

I was 100% sure they will predict Red Bull to be fastest. Again they are putting McLaren to be marginally slower. I am confident they are heavily massaging this data, if there is any real data at all.

I wonder how long will McLaren have to be faster until they admit it in those prediction articles.
Agreed. I checked his last 2 analysis before today and he had Red Bull fastest in quali and the race. Silverstone Merc pole and win, Hungary McLaren pole and win :lol:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Dafnalina wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 22:35
From AMuS

Christian Horner is still confident about the rest of the weekend: "We're there. According to our measurements, Norris had turned the engine up more. We compare ourselves more with Piastri."

Horner is also happy with the long runs, although Piastri was on average 3-tenths ahead of Max. "We were more consistent at the beginning, McLaren was better at the back. But no one was on the track long enough to find out whether the grain in the tires would go away again."

AMuS also says Piastri made a mistake on his fast lap that lost him around 2 tenths.

I'm expecting a Piastri pole and win. Norris said he's not feeling comfortable, and he's cursed on this track. Hopefully he finishes ahead of Verstappen.
Norris did his lap later, it is possible he benefitted from track evolution and maybe slight tow. I am really surprised they are thinking he had a higher engine mode? Why would they do that.

Btw they said the same in Hungary about engine modes.

If I remember correctly, Norris didn't feel comfortable in Hungary as well but they improved the car overnight. I think he is just a perfectionist.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 21:41
After every Friday everyone and their mother thinks McLaren ran high engine modes.
Then comes Saturday and McLaren is on front row.
Then comes Sunday and the car is fastest or close to it.
When will they learn? The team does the same run plan every time, it is very similar to other top teams and there are no big changes in pace after it.

Mercedes had compromised hot laps with both drivers but they seem to think that we ran a glory run? Silly stuff.
It's just a couple of opinions, everyone will always have their own opinion. RB might be faster. We might be faster. We'll find out soon.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

When RedBull set fastest, they're hiding their real speed, when McLaren are fastest they've got the PU turned up. Each week they predict McLaren won't be quite as well suited to the track, it's getting amusing.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 22:44
Dafnalina wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 22:35
From AMuS

Norris did his lap later, it is possible he benefitted from track evolution and maybe slight tow. I am really surprised they are thinking he had a higher engine mode? Why would they do that.

Btw they said the same in Hungary about engine modes.

If I remember correctly, Norris didn't feel comfortable in Hungary as well but they improved the car overnight. I think he is just a perfectionist.
They do mention Norris had the benefit of a better track as he set his lap 8 min later, but still RB thinks his engine was turned up. He does have an advantage in top speed from the graphs I've seen, and I didn't see him get a tow, but I might be wrong.

elldizzle
elldizzle

BMMR61 wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 23:12
When RedBull set fastest, they're hiding their real speed, when McLaren are fastest they've got the PU turned up. Each week they predict McLaren won't be quite as well suited to the track, it's getting amusing.
It always amuses me, the Raw data is always posted here and we can all see it. Yet F1's data always seems to be different.

MrGapes

I’m thinking if you are Oscar and Lando, and you feel you have a healthy advantage to the rest (bar a charging verstappen from the back) you probably don’t want to be on pole.

Lucky
Lucky

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 21:30
LionsHeart wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 21:25
mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 21:07

Ah, no. Alas I am not as clever as you. I would have split the corner into tertiles or quartiles of speed ranges and measured the average speed and the time spent in that range whilst in the corner. I didn't go to college or university, so a parabola sounds more like a type of hat to me.

But to be honest, the best metric is from when the brakes are hit on entry to when throttle is at 100%, and then just what was the time spent in that zone. And then in between the cornering zones you can measure total time spent in that "straight" zone, or represent it as an average speed.
I just gave an example. You can display the picture in different ways. One option is to do it the way you wrote. Divide it into mini sectors and find the time in each sector. Based on this, get the average speed on each segment. In general, even on the telemetry that you attached, you can already see where the cars are fast. In general, telemetry is needed to visually show the pace and speed of the car.
It does. But most people want a simple visualisation and impactful colours like on the top speed charts, so you want to break it down into the key numbers, not too many of them, in a way that is easily digested by the average fan. We've spoken at length so it might be worth me reiterating that it is those top speed charts that I think are quite misleading and I would replace with another tweetable and digestible visualisation.
In this case, you need to take the segment starting from the exit of the turn and then to the end of the straight segment. And calculate the amount of time the car has traveled. The faster it travels, the faster the car. :D

_cerber1