2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:18
mwillems wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:14
Do we have shots of the car from qualifying?
I have it from the third practice. I didn't see any changes in the rear. I didn't really look at the qualifying, maybe there wasn't even a good plan. I don't remember anymore, to be honest.
From what the team and Lando said, I think there is something, curious to see. But perhaps they might have only dialled up the front as the rear was already decent.

I never know where to get the decent in session pictures.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:20
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:14
Do we have shots of the car from qualifying?
I have it from the third practice. I didn't see any changes in the rear. I didn't really look at the qualifying, maybe there wasn't even a good plan. I don't remember anymore, to be honest.
From what the team and Lando said, I think there is something, curious to see. But perhaps they might have only dialled up the front as the rear was already decent.

As far as I can tell, I don't think the team changed the car's configuration. According to Lando on Friday, the car has speed, but he wasn't very comfortable behind the wheel. It's enough to tweak the settings a little bit to make him feel more comfortable. It's unlikely that this requires changing the configuration and specification.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:35
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

As far as I can tell, I don't think the team changed the car's configuration. According to Lando on Friday, the car has speed, but he wasn't very comfortable behind the wheel. It's enough to tweak the settings a little bit to make him feel more comfortable. It's unlikely that this requires changing the configuration and specification.
Stella said they didn't compromise the race by adding too much downforce. Lando said they were running only slightly lower than those in front, that ran with more DF.

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Lando didn’t keep 2 mediums like Charles did, I need the people here who have faith in our strategy team to give me a good reason for this. That was a great advantage

willmesquita

Dafnalina wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:49
Lando didn’t keep 2 mediums like Charles did, I need the people here who have faith in our strategy team to give me a good reason for this. That was a great advantage
Despite the resurfaced track, deg was high in FP. Teams believe M-H-H could be best option for tomorrow but it is weather dependent.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

mwillems

The whole weekend Red Bull has been a step above us, even though we were a little bit quicker yesterday," Norris warned. "I just don't think Red Bull showed their cards at all and we did.

Norris confirming that we were pushing more than Red Bull yesterday, as some commentators suggested, and Red Bull themselves

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

I think Lando is highly sandbagging. The clue is when he talks McLaren down and others up, he's sandbagging. When he's very complimentary about McLaren but says "others were just better" then it's real

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

willmesquita wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:51
Dafnalina wrote:
Despite the resurfaced track, deg was high in FP. Teams believe M-H-H could be best option for tomorrow but it is weather dependent.
He still could've kept the medium instead of the soft, idgi. Especially with the high chances of a SC.

search

Dafnalina wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 23:25
willmesquita wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:
He still could've kept the medium instead of the soft, idgi. Especially with the high chances of a SC.
teams need to decide right after FP3, so although there was a very small chance of a dry qualifying, I guess they preferred to keep 4 sets of softs for Quali. Just in case.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

search wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 23:29
Dafnalina wrote:
willmesquita wrote:

teams need to decide right after FP3, so although there was a very small chance of a dry qualifying, I guess they preferred to keep 4 sets of softs for Quali. Just in case.
Agreed. Always the chance that the track might have dried enough to require softs....
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

PapayaFan481 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 01:09
search wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 23:29
Dafnalina wrote:

Agreed. Always the chance that the track might have dried enough to require softs....
Looks like they've forced their own hand with a M-H-H race then (barring SCs). Hope deg is relatively high then so that can work out well.

Ben1980
Ben1980

There seems to be an expectation our 2 will breeze through, bot sure that will be the case. The RBR car looks mighty, and Perez ahead won't be easy, and Max will fly up.

I'm not sure we yet have the car to blast past our challenges a la Max in recent years.

MrGapes

I do feel Lando is a step or two behind this weekend, if we win it will probably be with Oscar.

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 08:35
There seems to be an expectation our 2 will breeze through, bot sure that will be the case. The RBR car looks mighty, and Perez ahead won't be easy, and Max will fly up.

I'm not sure we yet have the car to blast past our challenges a la Max in recent years.
It will by no means be a doddle, but I feel there is reason to be slightly optimistic. As you say the RBR looks rapid, I even said that I’d expect Max to still win even starting in P11 prior to action on track had commenced. Perez is a big unknown, I feel he has an equal chance to win this race along with the other favourites.

@mrgrapes, yep totally agree, we could even see ‘the step’ in their confidence in the post race interviews
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:41
LionsHeart wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:35
mwillems wrote:

Stella said they didn't compromise the race by adding too much downforce. Lando said they were running only slightly lower than those in front, that ran with more DF.
I read their comments. But even before these interviews, I had come to the conclusion that McLaren did not choose a compromise option, based on how difficult it was for them in the third practice and in qualifying. Given the completely dry forecast for the race, this makes a lot of sense. And then, having read their comments, I was only doubly convinced that they did not overthink the car configuration.

And one more thing. Max has a new engine. How much power does he have now? How much does this affect his racing pace?
Last edited by LionsHeart on 28 Jul 2024, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.