Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

hardingfv32 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The purpose if it is what it looks like, is to get more air flow over the central part of the diffuser.
You really think there is going to be 'measurable' benefit to the diffuser? This is some cooling exhaust flow, component unknown, that opens into a low pressure zone.

Brian
No sense, Brian.This looks more like exchange for double diffuser.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

MarkedOne8 wrote:No sense, Brian.This looks more like exchange for double diffuser.
Are we talking about the same 20 sq cm (3 sq in) hole that lacks a high pressure source of flow?

Brian

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Yes.

As I said, there's no sense why it should have cooling function.Cooling what?I still think this is some kind of exchange solution for double diffuser.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

MarkedOne8 wrote: some kind of exchange solution for double diffuser.
Please expand on "exchange solution for double diffuser".

Brian

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

hardingfv32 wrote:
MarkedOne8 wrote:No sense, Brian.This looks more like exchange for double diffuser.
Are we talking about the same 20 sq cm (3 sq in) hole that lacks a high pressure source of flow?

Brian
How do you know the pressure of the source of flow? We, which includes you, can only speculate what comes from that slot. RB are doing something similar although we know what the source of their flow is.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian
How do you know the pressure of the source of flow? We, which includes you, can only speculate what comes from that slot. RB are doing something similar although we know what the source of their flow is.
Not that we know where the RB exit is anymore :lol: .

It looks to be a bit of a cooling exit. In the center of the floor is a dipped section where they put the plank, that means you can now have space in the floor of the car if you keep the top side perfectly flat. Where the sidepods curves inwards just above the plank is where you can finally put an exit to allow some more cooling.

RBR used to do the opposite on the RB7 where they put an inlet duct in the dipped section of the floor.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:How do you know the pressure of the source of flow?
It is my thought that because there is no obvious source for meaningful flow, say on the side-pod surface, that you are not going to get any aero benefit over the diffuser. I can appreciate that the RB system has some small effect.

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32 on 13 May 2012, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Owen.C93 wrote:
Not that we know where the RB exit is anymore :lol: .

It looks to be a bit of a cooling exit. In the center of the floor is a dipped section where they put the plank, that means you can now have space in the floor of the car if you keep the top side perfectly flat. Where the sidepods curves inwards just above the plank is where you can finally put an exit to allow some more cooling.

RBR used to do the opposite on the RB7 where they put an inlet duct in the dipped section of the floor.
I think you & Brian are right and it's just a cooling exit but I had to mess with Brian a little since he's all about the hard facts. :D

I had just remembered the slot wasn't there in Bahrain but showed up in Mugello and thought it was interesting.

Bahrain
Bahrain Floor

Agreed about RB. I'd love to know for sure where Newey is sending that air.

AnthonyG

I'm wondering: in races the Lotus/Renault always seems so soft, it's as like Grosjean and Raikkonen go very deep into a corner while other cars follow a more "normal" line. (it makes them look slow imo)
What's the reason for this?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

tikavi
tikavi

I think, because of good mechancal grip they can choose diffrent lines in corner without significant loose = easier overtaking in corners/easier to defend position. They can also go deeper through the corner end be earlier on-throttle.

Ral
Ral

What is the difference between mechanical grip and traction? I mean, I can understand the difference as such, but Boullier was saying they needed to work on traction a bit more to get the car in contention for Monaco, clearly not happy with what it is like at the moment. And that kind of bore out in Spain in that their last sector wasn't anything special compared to the other cars.

But wouldn't you need good mechanical grip to get good traction?

Neno
Neno

Ral wrote:What is the difference between mechanical grip and traction? I mean, I can understand the difference as such, but Boullier was saying they needed to work on traction a bit more to get the car in contention for Monaco, clearly not happy with what it is like at the moment. And that kind of bore out in Spain in that their last sector wasn't anything special compared to the other cars.

But wouldn't you need good mechanical grip to get good traction?
i thinks is opposite. Traction refers to the maximum frictional force that can be produced between surfaces (car and track in this case) without slipping, and mechanical grip is 'just' grip made between the friction of tire rubber and abrassive road surfaces. that means, better traction of the car, better mehanical grip. but with traction you not only improve mehanical grip (who felling in slow corners), you improve even aerodynamic grip (in high speed corners)

EDIT: When you are surrounded by current tehnical regulations, you are limited with aero of the car, what means downforce. also think with these Pirelli's tyers, searching for grip and theres performances, improving traction is great idea and direction. last few years whole idea about great traction was forgetted, since 2008. from ban traction control.

raymondu999

I think generally people refer to the longitudinal component of mechanical grip as traction, and the lateral component as mechanical grip. In a conversation sense that is - ie traction determines how early and you can get on the power, mechanical grip determines how much apex speed you have.

The two can come together but they don't have to. Sometimes it's a function of how much compound grip (lateral + longitudinal) the car has - some tyres apparently don't like doing two directions at once, meaning the power delivery will have to be delayed.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

Gridlock wrote:They've historically been very good at running exotic systems which only come to light much later, if at all (Alonso 2005-06, MSC 1994 etc). I strongly suspect this is the case with the E20, but fair play to them.
I've mentioned that bit of this team's history as well. I would almost put money down that the E20 has some "trick" bits in the suspension.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

carvetia
carvetia

Does anyone else find it odd that they find low-speed traction to be a weak point this year? Between their tradition of lightning starts and the otherwise ordinary R30 finding its way towards the front of the grid in Monaco, what is it about the current regs that has caused Enstone to lose its mechanical edge? Too much compromising of the rear geometry for the sake of aero?