Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sambo

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Thats definatly the simulator car that Mclraen use for their guests to use. Ive actuallly had a go in it when I was a guest of theirs at the Circuit de Catalunya back in the 2010 pre-season test....It's quite fun :-)

sAx
sAx

KeiKo403 wrote:Are these not just tyre marbles?

I know they normally fly off backwards but it doesn't make sense that they can burn the floor so close to the exhaust exits.
The car is travelling very fast going forwards, the exhaust gasses are going very fast travelling backwards. Those 2 speeds combined together would be very fast indeed.
My question is, is it possible to go from exiting exhaust gasses pointing 10 degrees upwards to blow practically 90 degrees downwards within 350-450mm.

Make sense??
+1 granularity (nee marbles) does not convince me that the floor is burning. Also not convinced of little change in enthalpy between exhaust gas exit and suggested acute contact with floor with no loss of temp to cooler surrounding air. Happy to be proved wrong either way.

sAx
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

RichardF1

Pup wrote:It's a mobile simulator tub that McLaren takes to events, for fans and sponsors to play with...

Unless you guys really think that F1 cars can be split in two for shipping. :?
Just to clear up any confusion, I was on about this tub, not the tub in the dark. The tub in the dark is the 27 surely?
WWKD- What would Kimi do?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

RichardF1 wrote:
Pup wrote:It's a mobile simulator tub that McLaren takes to events, for fans and sponsors to play with...

Unless you guys really think that F1 cars can be split in two for shipping. :?
Just to clear up any confusion, I was on about this tub, not the tub in the dark. The tub in the dark is the 27 surely?
It's not the 27, most likely that sim tub judging by the floor and blanked off rear end.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Shrieker

Pup wrote:
slimjim wrote:I'll go back to just looking and not posting!
8) Don;'t feel bad - I think my first several posts here were just outright ignored. :cry: :lol:
Mine still do get ignored lol.

About the subject: I thought it was a sim tub as well... I think I've been into one of them a good number of years ago, not this one though.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

RichardF1

To move back to the technical aspect, McLaren's exhaust, has anyone been able to distinguish at what angle the exhaust is lying at? Is it the minimum in order to blow below the beam wing/over the floor/possibly through the same area as last year with the EBD?
WWKD- What would Kimi do?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Autosport user NoDivergence caught the flo-vis on this video.

Looks like UV on the front wing to differentiate where that flow is going. I'd imagine they're just trying to make sure it matches the wing tunnel/CFD models hence why they covered the whole car on the last lap of the test.

There's even some nice orange flo-vis on the splitter as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61511127@N ... otostream/
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

Autosport tweeted that after that happened, when the car went into the garage, mechanics wheeled out huge partition boards to cover their garage. Lotus were watching intently; and one of their crew even took a photo
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall
bhall

Pup wrote:Unless you guys really think that F1 cars can be split in two for shipping. :?
Why not? It's not like the tub is split into two pieces.

That said, the pictured tub doesn't appear to be current, because it doesn't have the raised bodywork around the cockpit for driver's head protection.

EDIT: Actually, all teams must carry a tub like that for races because T-cars are no longer allowed.
Last edited by bhall on 11 Feb 2012, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

Yes; but you normally see it split a different way - the entire engine cover and side pods is usually shipped as 1 block.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

raymondu999 wrote:Autosport tweeted that after that happened, when the car went into the garage, mechanics wheeled out huge partition boards to cover their garage. Lotus were watching intently; and one of their crew even took a photo
I remember reading that the Lotus guys were amused, but surprised they got a shot. Damn

Spencifer_Murphy

raymondu999 wrote:Yes; but you normally see it split a different way - the entire engine cover and side pods is usually shipped as 1 block.

Agreed. Although, I was thinking the most obvious indicator was the fact the floor has been split clean in two. How has nobody else mentioned this? :lol:

Even if it is a sim tub based on the -27...its not an actual 27, lets move on lol.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

McLaren MP4-27 exhaust

Hi
I havent seen this posted but i wonder if anyone has an idea on the benefits of Mclarens bodywork that extends beyond the exhaust outlet as seen here...

cheers, chris

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:Autosport tweeted that after that happened, when the car went into the garage, mechanics wheeled out huge partition boards to cover their garage. Lotus were watching intently; and one of their crew even took a photo
Mclaren will compare the Flo-Viz pattern on the real car with the Flo-viz pattern on the 60% wind tunnel model to see how they match up. All their going to do is photograph the Pattern under black light. My hunch is that they just cover the car to block out the sunlight so they can photograph it in the dark.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

shelly
shelly

And also important, comparison to flow viz in cfd
twitter: @armchair_aero