Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Does anybody have image of Lotus without engine cover?I would like to see shape of their exhausts under engine cover.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

raymondu999

carvetia wrote:Does anyone else find it odd that they find low-speed traction to be a weak point this year? Between their tradition of lightning starts and the otherwise ordinary R30 finding its way towards the front of the grid in Monaco, what is it about the current regs that has caused Enstone to lose its mechanical edge? Too much compromising of the rear geometry for the sake of aero?
Possibly. Different tyres overall too, don't forget. The R31 was also no traction king, and in fact was downright slow in mechanical circuits. How much of that is the fundamental car design and how much is the lack of a good exhaust blowing system is another matter.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

raymondu999 wrote:
carvetia wrote:Does anyone else find it odd that they find low-speed traction to be a weak point this year? Between their tradition of lightning starts and the otherwise ordinary R30 finding its way towards the front of the grid in Monaco, what is it about the current regs that has caused Enstone to lose its mechanical edge? Too much compromising of the rear geometry for the sake of aero?
Possibly. Different tyres overall too, don't forget. The R31 was also no traction king, and in fact was downright slow in mechanical circuits. How much of that is the fundamental car design and how much is the lack of a good exhaust blowing system is another matter.
I don't know why but I think they may be a better high speed car with very stable turn-in and braking. Perhaps they have compromised that low speed traction to be a little bit stiffer and consistent on top. And I don’t think it is a real weakness JMHO
BTW how do you fancy Renault lotus' chances in The Principality!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Adamski

And of course wouldn't like to know, what could have been the outcome of this season, if the FIA doesn't stop this team's reactive ride height system!
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

horse

raymondu999 wrote:Possibly. Different tyres overall too, don't forget. The R31 was also no traction king, and in fact was downright slow in mechanical circuits. How much of that is the fundamental car design and how much is the lack of a good exhaust blowing system is another matter.
Could be related to the exhaust solution. Perhaps they are not getting the free heating that they got with last years exhaust hitting the wheels, with this years car sending the gases over the beam wing. I guess the level of interaction of the FEE and the rear tyres would have been track dependant also.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

This image was accidentally posted in the RB8 thread. I know it's out of focus but there's quite a large radiator at a weird place in the bottom of this shot. At least I think it is.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

Nice photo
The E20 like the R30 has all its radiators placed in the sidepods; but while the R30 had two rads (engine and Gbox per sideopd) the E20 has 3 rad on the right hand sidepod; the big obvious one, a small one (Kers ? Gbox ?) and a big long strangly angled one (Kers ? Gbox ?)

R30:
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/14/79/55/26/540wri10.jpg

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

I've found this image but it's quite useless because it's impossible to see exhaust pipes from this angle.Does anybody have image with better angle?
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

MarkedOne8 wrote:
I've found this image but it's quite useless because it's impossible to see exhaust pipes from this angle.Does anybody have image with better angle?
I looked for you yesterday when you asked but couldn't find any picture better than the one you have. There just aren't any that show the exhaust without the engine cover. Sorry mate.

Carlo's
Carlo's

Lotus will be introducing a high-downforce specification rear wing for Monaco, as well as updates to the sidepod and brake drums.

Ral
Ral

Adamski wrote:And of course wouldn't like to know, what could have been the outcome of this season, if the FIA doesn't stop this team's reactive ride height system!
Wasn't it someone on here who said they never got it working quite right so they weren't too bummed out about it being banned? Can't remember now, but am sure I read that somewhere, for what it's worth :p

bhall
bhall

Pierce89 wrote:
Gridlock wrote:They've historically been very good at running exotic systems which only come to light much later, if at all (Alonso 2005-06, MSC 1994 etc). I strongly suspect this is the case with the E20, but fair play to them.
I've mentioned that bit of this team's history as well. I would almost put money down that the E20 has some "trick" bits in the suspension.
kwanchepan wrote:0501 Test.Strange things on left suspension.

Blackout

MarkedOne8 wrote:Does anybody have image with better angle?

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Thanks, Blackout!

Gridlock

Relatively that's a lot of large-diametre pipework back there, both inboard and outboard of the exhausts, no?