Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

shelly wrote:And also important, comparison to flow viz in cfd
how would one do that? vector plot on the car surface?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

shelly
shelly

plot of the lines of tangential strees at surface - so called oil flow
twitter: @armchair_aero

PlatinumZealot

tangential tress? Strange that you use that term to apply to this.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Some more flo-vis for those interested. I assume the cleaner parts are vortices from the suspension, neat how they match up with the mirror, top of sidepod entry and the lower part as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferferferf ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferferferf ... otostream/
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Pup
Pup

If the exhaust blows down shouldn't we expect to see the flovis blown clear in front of the rear tire? It actually looks sort of stagnant instead. I wonder if that's why we're seeing debris collecting there. The 'stagnant' area does match up nicely with the debris...

It almost seems as if the exhaust is creating a shield that's preventing flow over the diffuser - that can't be right. :|

shelly
shelly

@pup: the perspective here is not good. the exhausts are aimed at the gap between the rear wheels and the diffuser footplate.
Stagnation in front of the rear wheel is the right thing to expect, and this high pressure region is exploited because it acts against the upper surface of the floor.

With a picture more from the top we should see, as you say, the paint being swept away by the exhaust plume on the side of the wheel

Pup
Pup

To me it looks like the stagnant area is worst right where we'd expect to see the exhaust blow, which is just inside and to the front of the rear wheel. But I guess we'll know more as the tests continue - as you say, it could be an illusion from the angle, or it could be that they just put a heavier coat of floviz there.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Pup wrote:If the exhaust blows down shouldn't we expect to see the flovis blown clear in front of the rear tire? It actually looks sort of stagnant instead. I wonder if that's why we're seeing debris collecting there. The 'stagnant' area does match up nicely with the debris...

It almost seems as if the exhaust is creating a shield that's preventing flow over the diffuser - that can't be right. :|
I don't know it looks to me like the airflow has all been sucked downwards at the point of the exhausts towards the diffuser. Maybe that's why there's no vizflow on the top portion of the sidepod after the exhaust.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

bonjon1979 wrote:
Pup wrote:If the exhaust blows down shouldn't we expect to see the flovis blown clear in front of the rear tire? It actually looks sort of stagnant instead. I wonder if that's why we're seeing debris collecting there. The 'stagnant' area does match up nicely with the debris...

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7192/6855 ... _b.jpg[img]
[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7192/6855 ... _b.jpg[img]

I don't know it looks to me like the airflow has all been sucked downwards at the point of the exhausts towards the diffuser. Maybe that's why there's no vizflow on the top portion of the sidepod after the exhaust.
You have to keep in mind where they applied the flow vis. Obviously on the suspension and front of sidepods. I think there's probably some extra put near the floor as well to make sure they can look at that part extra closely (many teams have been trying different profiles around the diffuser and rear tyre).
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Richard
Richard

I'm surprised no one has commented on the orange flow viz on the keel. It doesn't appear to have spread onto the side pods, does that mean it has all be captured under the floor?

ps - They'll be using the to correlate both the CFD and the wind tunnel results.

pps - The pit garage screens are common in testing so people can't snoop on secret development parts. In contrast, the pit garages have to remain open to view when the pits are open.

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:I'm surprised no one has commented on the orange flow viz on the keel. It doesn't appear to have spread onto the side pods, does that mean it has all be captured under the floor?
The splitter I take it you mean?

It's either that it's all going under the floor (which would be bloody impressive... Or they're really providing 0 air to that area. I suspect the latter – that they're using the snow plough to do the job of the splitter, and that really no significant amount of fast flowing air should be getting to the tea tray.

shelly
shelly

Most of the flow in the keel zone will go under the floor, it is not surprising not to see any orange on the sides

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

I really don't care if they this car is a dog, i'll be happy watching it as it's simply a stunning piece of machinery to look at ! especially with all the other cars being so damn ugly !!

It'll be interesting to see the development of the exhaust & some other features over the next two tests, i'm still amazed that they can run the car with the cooling port completely blocked off

Hail22

hollowBallistix wrote:I really don't care if they this car is a dog, i'll be happy watching it as it's simply a stunning piece of machinery to look at ! especially with all the other cars being so damn ugly !!

It'll be interesting to see the development of the exhaust & some other features over the next two tests, i'm still amazed that they can run the car with the cooling port completely blocked off
Well remember its testing which means unlimited gearboxes, clutch sets, brakes, engines etc so they can have that inherit risk associated in doing so.

But also we need to remember the temperature on day 3/4 was freezing cold which the air going in (however small) was low in humidity yet very cool thus it would of had the same effect of lets say running FP2 in Melbourne on an Average Autumn day with the full port open.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Shakeman

I was watching the live times and Lewis was doing fast laps then slow laps quite regularly during testing. That could've been one of those slow laps.