2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Dishing out upgrades every other race is not realistic. Aston is kind of doing it, but they're confused. I simply pointed out that they have (potentially) cancelled some of the upgrades that were rumored to come to the car. And there could be many reasons on why that could happen which we don't really have any clue in since nothing has been said publicly by the team.

Also, great decision to lock-in Andrea. A hidden gem within that team that finally got the chance to shine. Great part of this team's success should be attributed to him for putting together a structure which allowed the already-existing talent at McLaren show off their work.

Zaamy
Zaamy

Darth-Piekus

Can I now make a bold prediction. Considering in the next race we expect more upgrades, let's say the car becomes faster by a good marjin and Mercedes keeps eating away points from Red Bull who's to say that Oscar could not become champion even though he is 100 points behind but with 10 races to go or Norris 78 points behind.

Mtshali_Motorsport
Mtshali_Motorsport

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 20:48
Can I now make a bold prediction. Considering in the next race we expect more upgrades, let's say the car becomes faster by a good marjin and Mercedes keeps eating away points from Red Bull who's to say that Oscar could not become champion even though he is 100 points behind but with 10 races to go or Norris 78 points behind.
Oscar Piastry becoming Champion in 2024 was not on my F1 bingo card, but given his consistent performance it’s not far off. I did mention in the thread earlier ( page 550 I think) that if Max doesn’t dominate Spa and McLaren outperform them then they’re in a long chance to clinch both titles. If McLaren can win in Zandvoort, oh boy :mrgreen:

BMMR61

2024 in F1 has somewhat been the "year of the upgrades". It's become almost an obsession as teams clamour to gain position. Mercedes have arrived at every round claiming "upgrades". McLaren arrived at one race, Miami, showing and demonstrating UPGRADES, multiple upgrades. It looks like the more teams arrive with an upgrade here, an upgrade there, they start to get confused about what is working and what isn't. Look at Ferrari - they don't seem to know what is the way forward, instead of being the team that is the one challenging Red Bull, they're falling away as fourth fastest and very erratic. It looks like the measured approach by McLaren is producing consistency while even Red Bull is getting confusing performances. I'm heartened by the news that there are still upgrades to come as it's been a while and we can expect they have been held back until they are confident of their effectiveness. Understanding and correlation are more important than upgrades delivered in desperation of more performance.

mwillems

Mtshali_Motorsport wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 20:59
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Oscar Piastry becoming Champion in 2024 was not on my F1 bingo card, but given his consistent performance it’s not far off. I did mention in the thread earlier ( page 550 I think) that if Max doesn’t dominate Spa and McLaren outperform them then they’re in a long chance to clinch both titles. If McLaren can win in Zandvoort, oh boy :mrgreen:
No disrespect is meant, but I liken this to a month back when he had a couple of poor performances and many are suggesting he isn't up to it and then he has a couple of good performances and he's up for the WDC. It's polarism.

He's just getting his head down and taking it race by race and maintaining his trajectory. He's nailed his tyre management a few times now, but he's still on that journey.

I get that his trajectory is exciting, but in my opinion he isn't there yet. What I like is that there's no drama from him with a good result or a poor result, he's getting on with the job.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
02 Aug 2024, 10:09

He's just getting his head down and taking it race by race and maintaining his trajectory. He's nailed his tyre management a few times now, but he's still on that journey.

I get that his trajectory is exciting, but in my opinion he isn't there yet. What I like is that there's no drama from him with a good result or a poor result, he's getting on with the job.
Absolutely. It isn't just his current speed, or his trajectory I find exciting, it's the calm of his total performance, his maturity in media work and even a growing personality to go with the reserved nature, and just avoiding the pressure others put on themselves with their media responses. Contrast these to Lando, his talent is enormous, but he subjects himself to unreasonable pressure by his statements which are brutally honest but damaging.

I continue to advocate for Lando getting some better guidance on mind management, and, log out of most of the social media presence, it's damaging.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Mtshali_Motorsport wrote:
01 Aug 2024, 20:59
Darth-Piekus wrote:
That's a very long shot, he'd have to win near enough every race and hope Max finishes well down in the points. But stranger things have happened in F1. If McLaren produce an excellent car in 2025 then I think Oscar might be the driver to beat. Lando needs to concentrate on his mind management, that should see him lessen the mistakes.

All in all I think McLaren have the best driver line up on the grid.

Lucky
Lucky

Oscar is still too slow.

mwillems

It's 9-5 not 9-4. Those stats are generic and don't remove all the noise and circumstance for any driver. I don't trust timings over a race, or even mini sectors! Let alone this.

None the less, the team think he's doing great, I think most commentators do and he's now referred to as Landos rival in most outlets. It's not unfeasible that he will catch Lando in points this year though that is a big ask.

He's work to do, but I'm curious as to the criteria for "too slow".

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 09:20
It's 9-5 not 9-4. Those stats are generic and don't remove all the noise and circumstance for any driver. I don't trust timings over a race, or even mini sectors! Let alone this.

None the less, the team think he's doing great, I think most commentators do and he's now referred to as Landos rival in most outlets. It's not unfeasible that he will catch Lando in points this year though that is a big ask.

What are the criteria? Partner, he's noticeably slower than him. How many times has Oscar fought to win? And how much is Norris?

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 09:32
mwillems wrote:

What are the criteria? Partner, he's noticeably slower than him. How many times has Oscar fought to win? And how much is Norris?
Worth noting that the stat has removed Norris' DNF, if included his average finish is 4.64 to Oscars 5.14. Oscar's also had trouble, but finished, and these are included in all the average lap times etc. Either remove all the dirty data or add context.

I know he's slower than Lando, but what I asked where the criteria for too slow. Why are you unhappy with him? I wouldn't expect him to be faster than Lando at this point, and if he was as fast as Lando then that would be a damning indictment of Lando. Personally I think it is great that in the first half of year one he's had one win and if it wasn't for circumstance of Miami, he'd have had the only other Mclaren win this year. Challenging for 2 wins in 13 races is OK for me.

If you like stats, then Lando finishes on average one place further back than his start, whereas Oscar comes slightly
Last edited by mwillems on 04 Aug 2024, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 09:35
Lucky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Worth noting that the stat has removed Norris' DNF, if included his average finish is 4.64 to Oscars 5.14. Oscar's also had trouble, but finished, and these are included in all the average lap times etc.

I know he's slower than Lando, but what I asked where the criteria for too slow. Why are you unhappy with him? I wouldn't expect him to be faster than Lando at this point, and if he was as fast as Lando then that would be a damning indictment of Lando.
I'm very happy with Oscar, but he still needs to get up to speed. He doesn't match Norris yet.

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 09:41
mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Worth noting that the stat has removed Norris' DNF, if included his average finish is 4.64 to Oscars 5.14. Oscar's also had trouble, but finished, and these are included in all the average lap times etc.

I know he's slower than Lando, but what I asked where the criteria for too slow. Why are you unhappy with him? I wouldn't expect him to be faster than Lando at this point, and if he was as fast as Lando then that would be a damning indictment of Lando.
I'm very happy with Oscar, but he still needs to get up to speed. He doesn't match Norris yet.
I agree, he needs to keep improving, it just reads like he's below where he needs to be. He would have won in Miami if not for circumstances. He was the fastest driver, and he would have had both Mclaren wins this year, but he got dropped to 4th and into a battle with Sainz who damaged his car. He changed his nose and lost a ton of time. It's things like that that make those stats you posted a bit redundant.

I think I said before, he is less consistent than last year, but he is starting to hit the peaks now and have some weekends where the tyre management is on point.

If you remove that Miami number, for instance, then his average finish is 4.53,1 place below Lando, which is fine, I think?

Worth noting that Oscar finishes a full place ahead of his start position whereas Lando finishes on average where he starts.

In any case, I don't think that 1.5 season old Oscar should be expected to be in the same place as 6.5 season old Lando, and I think his trajectory is fine. I would imagine that by next season, at this rate, he will be close to a match for Lando, which is why Lando needs to get his act together. And it is for this reason why I think the team won'e put Baby (Oscar) in the corner.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 09:47
Lucky wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 09:41
mwillems wrote:

I agree, he needs to keep improving, it just reads like he's below where he needs to be. He would have won in Miami if not for circumstances. He was the fastest driver, and he would have had both Mclaren wins this year, but he got dropped to 4th and into a battle with Sainz who damaged his car. He changed his nose and lost a ton of time. It's things like that that make those stats you posted a bit redundant.

I think I said before, he is less consistent than last year, but he is starting to hit the peaks now and have some weekends where the tyre management is on point.

If you remove that Miami number, for instance, then his average finish is 4.53,1 place below Lando, which is fine, I think?

Worth noting that Oscar finishes a full place ahead of his start position whereas Lando finishes on average where he starts.

In any case, I don't think that 1.5 season old Oscar should be expected to be in the same place as 6.5 season old Lando, and I think his trajectory is fine. I would imagine that by next season, at this rate, he will be close to a match for Lando, which is why Lando needs to get his act together. And it is for this reason why I think the team won'e put Baby (Oscar) in the corner.
No, Oscar was much slower in Miami, just look at the pace before pit. The tire management has improved, but here is the merit of the car, it has become better. Oscar has a champion character, which is a huge plus.