Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
donskar
donskar

Re: Ferrari F2012

RE: "aggressive" versus "radical."

Let's remember that in every successful organization, public statements are usually created or at least approved by the PR department. Engineering spokespersons will have been given a "script" supplying commonly asked questions, with approved answers to those questions. Spokespersons will be given certain words and phrases to use whenever possible. Also remember: Ferrari is a leader at creating and maintaining its brand identity through every means possible, so the above scenario is very likely in their case.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Here is a short video of the Ferrari simulator that Fernando & Felipe have been using to help develop the F2012. Word from Fry & Byrne is that they believe next years car will be amongst the top cars. Hopefully so.

http://www.f1talks.pl/2011/12/27/w-serc ... r-ferrari/

Polish to your language of choice is the translation needed.

bhall
bhall

This year's car was "amongst" the top cars.

aleks_ader

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Here is a short video of the Ferrari simulator that Fernando & Felipe have been using to help develop the F2012. Word from Fry & Byrne is that they believe next years car will be amongst the top cars. Hopefully so.

Nice article!

Jep sadly nowadays with lack of free test days are the teams forced to invset a lot of meney in sutch unreliable simulators... And the most funny part is that, FIA thinks if they cut away the normal free testing will F1 teams expend less? NOT

But i think if you have very bad programed simulator, you could go in wrong direction on the developmend of the car...

Remember the last year where Ferrari have calibration problems with CFD simulation! And result of that was slower car...

I hope that ferrari examine very carfully the coleration beween simulator and reality! And maybe will be smart to make plan B, just for one case if thiks gone wrong1
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Hemsy
Hemsy

aleksandergreat wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Here is a short video of the Ferrari simulator that Fernando & Felipe have been using to help develop the F2012. Word from Fry & Byrne is that they believe next years car will be amongst the top cars. Hopefully so.

Nice article!

Jep sadly nowadays with lack of free test days are the teams forced to invset a lot of meney in sutch unreliable simulators... And the most funny part is that, FIA thinks if they cut away the normal free testing will F1 teams expend less? NOT

But i think if you have very bad programed simulator, you could go in wrong direction on the developmend of the car...

Remember the last year where Ferrari have calibration problems with CFD simulation! And result of that was slower car...

I hope that ferrari examine very carfully the coleration beween simulator and reality! And maybe will be smart to make plan B, just for one case if thiks gone wrong1
I agree that they shouldn't have totally cut testing out and instead should have a few days of testing but for young drivers only. Young drivers coming up the ranks need all the experience they can get if they are to one day make the jump to F1.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Hemsy wrote:I agree that they shouldn't have totally cut testing out and instead should have a few days of testing but for young drivers only. Young drivers coming up the ranks need all the experience they can get if they are to one day make the jump to F1.
Except that while that's valuable, it also in large part defeats the point of testing.
1) Testing is about finding setups that work well for your race drivers
2) In testing, you typically need people to go out and drive very consistent, similar laps so that you can directly compare parts.

Neither of these is possible if you enforce using new, up-and-coming drivers.

All this aside, many teams would simply use drivers who never really stand a chance of racing in F1 anyway, e.g. McLaren would just get Paffet out their box.

shamikaze
shamikaze

beelsebob wrote:Except that while that's valuable, it also in large part defeats the point of testing.
2) In testing, you typically need people to go out and drive very consistent, similar laps so that you can directly compare parts
I would disagree. The main reason for testing is to verify the quaity of updates (measured results vs expected results) and these can perfectly be performed by Young Drivers. Young drivers are not new to driving high performance machines, they are new to driving F1 machines. You coudl argue some back-and-forth here, but I'm fairly confident that the young-drivers considered for these type of duties would be well suited and very gratefull for such "dull tasks" as trying to make perfectly equal laps around at anywhere betweeen 80 and 95 % of the car's abilities.

At least, that's just my humple opinion anyway, but I am open to any other point-of)view :D

GReetz,

S.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:This year's car was "amongst" the top cars.
I guess in a way it was but other than Silverstone the F150 Italia wasn't good enough to win, so while close to the top it wasn't. My main point was that in 2012 the car will be good enough to challenge for victories consistently.

beelsebob
beelsebob

shamikaze wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Except that while that's valuable, it also in large part defeats the point of testing.
2) In testing, you typically need people to go out and drive very consistent, similar laps so that you can directly compare parts
I would disagree. The main reason for testing is to verify the quaity of updates (measured results vs expected results) and these can perfectly be performed by Young Drivers.
The key to being able to establish a baseline for just how much better a part is, and what weird effects it has is to be able to drive the same lap over and over consistently, young drivers in general are pretty appalling at that – hence why drivers like Rhubbinio hang about at teams that need to do a lot of development.

Secondly, testing whether a part suits your driver or not is very important. Checking that you're not making the car entirely unpredictable when a driver like lewis hamilton lets the back slide a bit is really important, and can only be tested by putting the driver who's going to be racing it in there.

Finally, testing is used in large part to get baseline setups figured out, and to tune the simulators for later. You need the actual racer in there to figure out what setups are going to work for them.

aleks_ader

Latest 2012 car sugestions:

-Pat Fry, thanks to feedback from Alonso simulator, modified the front suspension to improve handling balance of the car and Pirelli

-After modification and the car has improved its overall balance and stability under braking, the Pirelli heated prior

-Modifying the suspension has been made in plan 'fudge', although it is not a new one was manufactured until it reaches Jonathan Heal

-A source tells me that the Ferrari diffuser is designed with the latest in carbon coated with a derivative of Zircotech.

-The derivative of Zircotech completely unknown, and according to this source (not standard) has been entirely produced by Ferrari.

-The Zircotec is able to withstand high temperatures, generating much heat diffuser to cover the whole of this compound.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

beelsebob
beelsebob

aleksandergreat wrote:-The derivative of Zircotech completely unknown, and according to this source (not standard) has been entirely produced by Ferrari.

-The Zircotec is able to withstand high temperatures, generating much heat diffuser to cover the whole of this compound.
Interesting if true... that would suggest Ferrari still plan on getting hot gas there in some way... I wonder how.

wesley123
wesley123

aleksander; Where do you got this info from?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aleks_ader

wesley123 wrote:aleksander; Where do you got this info from?
From Twitter! :D Some sugestions could be true!

aleks_ader

beelsebob wrote:
aleksandergreat wrote:-The derivative of Zircotech completely unknown, and according to this source (not standard) has been entirely produced by Ferrari.

Interesting if true... that would suggest Ferrari still plan on getting hot gas there in some way... I wonder how.
I assume that could be misslead... I think they search coating whitch efective dissipate head from engine, Kers electromotor etc.

Mavbe they also find out that sort Zirotech coating are more aerodynamic efficient on the surfice?

aleks_ader

And abaout suspentions is definetly that Ferrari finaly made a pushrod?