F1 - the marketing and advertising of

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cam

Re: F1 - the marketing and advertising of

Jersey Tom wrote:
Cam wrote:If so, looking at this, where is F1 now (with it's 'spice it up' campaign) trying to increase it's viewership from? Thoughts?
Everyone. 0% of the demographic enjoys watching / paying to watch a boring event.
That's a generalization and I don't think it's constructive. "Everyone", is not a target market - are babies or children into F1? No, so your statement is false and would be considered ill informed and not well thought through if suggested in a marketing meeting. Please have an opinion, although please think about what you're saying first.

F1 are trying to increase the cash - both through 'bums on seats' and through viewers. This increase leads to increased revenue through advertising and collateral media. These media companies will have clients looking to sell things. To consider F1 as a market to sell, we must first identify the market and potential market.This potential market is what we're trying to establish.

Now, would you like to try again?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Fat_T0ny
Fat_T0ny

Jersey Tom wrote:
Cam wrote:If so, looking at this, where is F1 now (with it's 'spice it up' campaign) trying to increase it's viewership from? Thoughts?
Everyone. 0% of the demographic enjoys watching / paying to watch a boring event.

Except purists. Because when a drivers car is 4sec a lap quicker than the rest, it makes him a true champion. :roll:

raymondu999

Finally! Someone who understands!! :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

Fat_T0ny wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:
Except purists. Because when a drivers car is 4sec a lap quicker than the rest, it makes him a true champion. :roll:
Silver Arrows 1934 to 1939: "The superiority of these vehicles in international motor racing established the term "Silver Arrow" as a legend, for example by usually winning the first race in which they were entered. In 1954, both cars dominated as the rest of the field was at least a lap behind Fangio and Kling."

So boring no-one ever refers to them do they :roll: and I suspect no-one would begrudge they were true champions except you, obviously.

It's amazing how the domination, that created legends, made brands and sold who knows how many cars, if replicated today - is boring.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Cam

There's already a great thread about purists, maybe we keep those discussions there.

If you would like to talk further about the real target market and possible grow areas for F1, I am happy to continue.
― Socrates

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Cam wrote:That's a generalization and I don't think it's constructive. "Everyone", is not a target market - are babies or children into F1? No, so your statement is false and would be considered ill informed and not well thought through if suggested in a marketing meeting. Please have an opinion, although please think about what you're saying first.

F1 are trying to increase the cash - both through 'bums on seats' and through viewers. This increase leads to increased revenue through advertising and collateral media. These media companies will have clients looking to sell things. To consider F1 as a market to sell, we must first identify the market and potential market.This potential market is what we're trying to establish.

Everyone as in anyone who is into motor racing. I think that's a fairly binary attribute... you're either into it or you're not. To me it makes no difference whether it's Stock Car, Grand Prix, Oval Open Wheel, Endurance, whatever. If it's a good race it's a good race. That's the pool to draw from.

And incidentally, I consider myself more a "purist" and I have no interest in seeing one team just run away with the championship from the get go. There needs to be competition, contention. Same goes for any pro sport.

In a case like this I don't think it's sensible to focus on any particular mini demographic if it isn't there in the source population you're trying to draw from. For example, let's take F1 viewership being predominantly male. That doesn't mean that they need to try to get more female viewers... if the source population itself is predominantly male. The thing you'd need to do to make an educated observation here would be to compare the viewership breakdown of F1 to the breakdown of all potential motorsport enthusiasts... rather than the global population.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Cam

Jersey Tom wrote:
Cam wrote:That's a generalization and I don't think it's constructive. "Everyone", is not a target market - are babies or children into F1? No, so your statement is false and would be considered ill informed and not well thought through if suggested in a marketing meeting. Please have an opinion, although please think about what you're saying first.

Everyone as in anyone who is into motor racing. I think that's a fairly binary attribute... you're either into it or you're not. To me it makes no difference whether it's Stock Car, Grand Prix, Oval Open Wheel, Endurance, whatever. If it's a good race it's a good race. That's the pool to draw from.

And incidentally, I consider myself more a "purist" and I have no interest in seeing one team just run away with the championship from the get go. There needs to be competition, contention. Same goes for any pro sport.

In a case like this I don't think it's sensible to focus on any particular mini demographic if it isn't there in the source population you're trying to draw from. For example, let's take F1 viewership being predominantly male. That doesn't mean that they need to try to get more female viewers... if the source population itself is predominantly male. The thing you'd need to do to make an educated observation here would be to compare the viewership breakdown of F1 to the breakdown of all potential motorsport enthusiasts... rather than the global population.
Maybe you're right although I was kind of looking for an exact (or close to it) demographic as I'm going to use that to ask another question. So, for example: If Pirelli wanted to (and I'm not saying this is the case) grow it's market to get a piece of the budget tyre market, it would be prudent to first understand who is watching F1 currently (age, salary, sex, location etc), then to understand what the budget market (age, salary, sex, location etc) watches currently (INDY, NASCAR, off road, bikes etc), then to find a way to move the budget market across to F1 - because you now have something they want to see.

Everyone is too broad and when you have a limited budget, it's better to speak to the exact people you want, rather than trying to speak to everyone.

Perhaps they're trying to draw people who never watch motorsport? They have tyres too. In fact, they would be a very large market. Not everyone with a car watches sports, let alone F1. That's why it's important to know currently where F1's market is, so we can determine what markets they can draw from.

I might move this question to a marketing forum as I'm not really getting the specific details I'm after, rather people seem to want to debate if it exists, rather to determine what it is. I'll post back the results, if anyone's interested. Apologies for wasting your time.
― Socrates