Alfa Romeo C42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: Alfa Romeo C42

thevlack wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:23
Is it me or the car its actually named C40 and not C42.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
It was supposed to be called C40 but given that the rules got postponed, their 2021 car was named C41 and thus to avoid confusion they renamed their new rules car from C40 to C42.

Other teams added B spec or M on their version.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Are these also the first notes of the brand new Ferrari power unit for 2022?

west52keep64

This car looks a lot more developed than the others we've seen so far, particularly the front wing. It could be because we are seeing the race one package instead of a basic package that other teams could be showing to hide their secrets.

Very impressive, I can't wait to see it in it's true colours to see the details!

Saykas
Saykas

posted on reddit by Crash_666, video from simone_masetti_99 on IG

PlatinumZealot

This car is one ugly side-chick...

But it does have a very interesting philosophy though.

It appears that Alfa want to clear as much space going towards the rear wing as possible. A more efficient rear wing means more top speed. They stuck with their split air intake and they have moved all engine mounted coolers into the side pods. This is actually in harmony with the new side pod regulations, because for this year the side pods are bigger and longer, so not much will be added to the bulk of the side pods by doing this even with a huge undercut.

Looks like push-rod rear suspension too to free up the lower regions of the coke-bottle area. I believe the disadvantage is that the exhaust pipe has to be bent around all of that suspension hardware on top of the gear box. Who knows if any engine power is lost? Likely negligible.

I can't really say much on the front wing other than the Front wing aerodynamicist is a man that is obsessed with his craft! He seems to be very comfortable with twisting surfaces into all manner of unorthodox shapes to get the air to do what he wants. Very impressive front wing as usual.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Chuckjr

The way this car rids of heat is stealthy. The hot air exit at the back is thin, streamlined, and impressive. I don’t find this car ugly at all. In fact, I’m thoroughly enjoying the diversity of aero concepts/looks between all the cars.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Chuckjr wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 02:58
The way this car rids of heat is stealthy. The hot air exit at the back is thin, streamlined, and impressive. I don’t find this car ugly at all. In fact, I’m thoroughly enjoying the diversity of aero concepts/looks between all the cars.
But a small hot car exit is understandable for a car with gills, no? Just like the AMR22

Pany
Pany

I have the impression this early test is to check ferrari solutions. Not only the new engine, but also some car important solutions, such as push rod rear and most of all floor shape and details

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Pany wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 09:28
I have the impression this early test is to check ferrari solutions. Not only the new engine, but also some car important solutions, such as push rod rear and most of all floor shape and details
What do you mean floor shape and details as it relates to Ferrari? The floor would not have anything to do with Ferrari - rear suspension (although Alfa said they designed their own + gearbox carrier) and engine, sure.

AeroDynamic

mclaren111

Sounds X1000 better than on TV.... =P~ =P~

mcjamweasel

mclaren111 wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 12:14
Sounds X1000 better than on TV.... =P~ =P~
These engines always have. For some reason the TV mics do a terrible job when compared even to phones, never mind 'in the flesh'.

On topic, is the top surface of the nose slightly concave or is that my smooth brain being deceived by the camo?

AeroDynamic

I think the track Mic's are probably tuned to a smaller spectrum of sound in an effort to isolate the car and leave out the ambient noises from crowds etc?

You can probably get away with what the phone is doing at an empty Fiorano but if there was a big crowd there and 20 other cars, maybe we wouldn't enjoy 1 car's sound in isolation?

zioture
zioture

Mitch2.0

Does anyone else just hate the Alfa’s “roll hoop” and intake solution of the past few years?