2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

I can't even find Singapore on f1-tempo. It was available after FP1 (and showed an odd time sync issue on some lap comparisons). It has vanished entirely now.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 19:18
I can't even find Singapore on f1-tempo. It was available after FP1 (and showed an odd time sync issue on some lap comparisons). It has vanished entirely now.
Scroll to around the middle of the list. 10th one down
Last edited by chrisc90 on 15 Sep 2023, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 19:19
AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 19:18
Scroll to very bottom of the list.
thanks! that is unusual :lol:

Yes I skimmed the fast laps too. Ferrari isn't that much quicker on the straights in normal conditions so we are definetely seeing a different in engine mode usage as RB seemingly have gotten extremely conservative since Zandvoort. The time trace shows the tell tale drift of engine modes across the entire RPM band.

scuderiabrandon

chrisc90 wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 19:16
Anyone looked at the telemetry for these sessions yet?

I missed both FP's today as didnt bother taking laptop to work, but will catch up later. But quickly choosing Sainz, Lec, Max fastest laps from FP2 shows the RB running a lot less engine. Can see the differences from around 230kmh on the graphs.
Yes lower engine modes for sure.

dialtone
dialtone

scuderiabrandon wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 19:36
chrisc90 wrote:

I missed both FP's today as didnt bother taking laptop to work, but will catch up later. But quickly choosing Sainz, Lec, Max fastest laps from FP2 shows the RB running a lot less engine. Can see the differences from around 230kmh on the graphs.
I agree that RBR is running lower engine mode but so is Ferrari. They have been running lower engine modes in FP1-2 since earlier than Monza last year.

Ultimately it will be a lot closer come quali, it will also be easier to pass in the race so starting 1st isn't going to be as big of a deal as in the past. Ferrari tire degradation, particularly in Leclerc's hands is a bit worrying, imho his tires don't even last the full quali lap.

But I don't see a 30+ sec win with the data from FP2, race sims are a lot less sensitive to engine modes and I don't remember that being so close in recent times.

organic

dialtone wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 20:31
scuderiabrandon wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I agree that RBR is running lower engine mode but so is Ferrari. They have been running lower engine modes in FP1-2 since earlier than Monza last year.

Ultimately it will be a lot closer come quali, it will also be easier to pass in the race so starting 1st isn't going to be as big of a deal as in the past. Ferrari tire degradation, particularly in Leclerc's hands is a bit worrying, imho his tires don't even last the full quali lap.

But I don't see a 30+ sec win with the data from FP2, race sims are a lot less sensitive to engine modes and I don't remember that being so close in recent times.
RB race sims at Hungary, zandvoort were slower than a few teams iirc . They have been running their FPs differently compared to the beginning of the season when every session would show that half a second gap in race trim. Last 5 races or so their pace only is shown in the race. Don't know why

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

organic wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 21:05
dialtone wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

RB race sims at Hungary, zandvoort were slower than a few teams iirc . They have been running their FPs differently compared to the beginning of the season when every session would show that half a second gap in race trim. Last 5 races or so their pace only is shown in the race. Don't know why
I'd guess they've probably dialled things back a bit in Free Practise sessions to avoid unnecessary wear and tear
on the power units etc.

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 21:05
dialtone wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

That's not my recollection:

Hungary best by a mile excluding Alfa (which was obviuosly light)

Zandvoort also best pace by a mile:

Best pace out of anyone, Italy was the same:

Only HAM and LEC were close-ish but with softs rather than mediums.

Juzh

dialtone wrote:
it will also be easier to pass in the race so starting 1st isn't going to be as big of a deal as in the past. Ferrari tire degradation, particularly in Leclerc's hands is a bit worrying, imho his tires don't even last the full quali lap.
You worry about ferrari being passed but last year at times leclerc was maybe a second faster in raw pace than perez but couldn't do anything with it, he was stuck at 0.2s for the entire time. I just dont see a ferrari being passed on track under normal circumstances, and that includes big tyre wear.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Even with a completely wrong setup / window Perez was still pretty much the fastest driver in race trim.

f1316
f1316

Worth remembering how Singapore does sometimes throw up a surprise for an otherwise dominant car. It happened a few times to Mercedes - in 2015, for example, they were streets ahead in general but nowhere in Singapore - so I do also think this is something that can happen at this circuit.

chrisc90

Fully expecting normal service by FP3 or the latest quali when the engine gets turned back up.

Worst case is there is actually a hint of a race (like we got for the first 15 laps of Monza)

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:

Ultimately it will be a lot closer come quali, it will also be easier to pass in the race so starting 1st isn't going to be as big of a deal as in the past.
This is still very optimistic. Singapore is just not a great track for overtaking. You have the wall issue. Defender can very easily put the overtaker in the wall and earn a lenient 5 second penalty.

r85
r85

With how much pace Red Bull has been holding back this year, they'll come out unscathed even with a completely messed up setup. Last year, Ferrari and Mercedes were there to take the win when RB had a bad setup, but that won't be the case this year.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!