Braking regulation change - "asymmetric braking torques for a given axle is forbidden"

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Vanja #66

Re: Braking regulation change - "asymmetric braking torques for a given axle is forbidden"

Wil992 wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 11:53
Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 08:53
Wil992 wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 23:13
“11.1.2 The brake system must be design so that within each circuit, the force applied to the brake pads are the same magnitude and act as opposing pairs on a given brake disc”
That particular rule is related to just one disc, meaning both pads at the same disc need to apply the same force to that one disc. If they don't, you can basically break the disc.
I don’t see your logic here.

The regulation says “ within each circuit, the force applied to the brake pads are the same magnitude”. The circuits are defined in 11.1.1 but basically mean front and rear brakes. So, the force applied to both rear (ie all 4 pads) brakes has to be the same. It’s not just referring to the opposing pads of one disc.
Read the entire sentence of subsection 11.1.2 - The brake system must be design so that within each circuit, the force applied to the brake pads are the same magnitude and act as opposing pairs on a given brake disc

A disc, singular
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Wil992
Wil992

Re: Braking regulation change - "asymmetric braking torques for a given axle is forbidden"

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 12:00
Wil992 wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

That particular rule is related to just one disc, meaning both pads at the same disc need to apply the same force to that one disc. If they don't, you can basically break the disc.

The regulation says “ within each circuit, the force applied to the brake pads are the same magnitude”. The circuits are defined in 11.1.1 but basically mean front and rear brakes. So, the force applied to both rear (ie all 4 pads) brakes has to be the same. It’s not just referring to the opposing pads of one disc.
Read the entire sentence of subsection 11.1.2 - The brake system must be design so that within each circuit, the force applied to the brake pads are the same magnitude and act as opposing pairs on a given brake disc

A disc, singular
Yes, the pads must act as opposing pairs on a disc. All that means is that each disc has 2 pads.
The whole sentence means each circuit has 2 discs with equal force and each (singular) disc within the circuit has 2 pads.

Andi76
Andi76

Wil992 wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 12:04
Vanja #66 wrote:
Wil992 wrote:

A disc, singular
Yes, the pads must act as opposing pairs on a disc. All that means is that each disc has 2 pads.
The whole sentence means each circuit has 2 discs with equal force and each (singular) disc within the circuit has 2 pads.
Could it be that exactly your different understanding clearly proves that there could have been different interpretations of this rule :wink: :D ?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 16:28
Such a system obviously does not require larger brakes. Neither the 1997 McLaren nor the 1998 McLaren, which were proven to have this system, had larger brakes. And back then, the cars were much closer to the limit as far as brakes were concerned (defective brake disks such as Frentzen's in Australia in 1997, etc.). In the same way, neither the 97 nor the 98 McLaren had ABS. McLarens System back then worked with a switch to select either rear brake according to the direction of the corner, which they were then able to apply to either turn the car in under power (by braking the inner wheel) or prevent inner wheel spin when accelerating out of a corner. Breaking of one rear wheel under power will reduce the torque delivered to the wheel on that side and increase it to the opposite side via the open differential. The net result is a turning moment imparted to the car, which steers it toward the side of the breaked wheel.
I think you are missing the larger brake point. More brake use creates more heat. There would have to be a way to compensate. Either the cooling ducts are larger than expected, or the brakes themselves are larger. "larger" does not mean obvious either. It could have been only a small increase.

I don't understand how you can dispute the brake locking. It is written in the article:
“We had to learn how to work with it, because you had to accelerate while you braked, otherwise you just locked the wheel.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/latest-n ... l-3153421/

Can you dispute David Coulthard, the driver who used the system?

I have not commented on the rest as I don't see a need to address speculation after further clarification from the FIA.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... l-fantasy/

Mark Hughes:
The original, somewhat wild, Italian-sourced story stating definitively that it had been in use by Red Bull was not substantiated and the dates for its supposed use and the additional regulation wording banning it did not align. It was a story to be treated with intrigue but suspicion. There were reasons why the underlying story, beneath the fuzzy details, was very feasible. It was a technology which would be fantastically useful in addressing one of the biggest limitations of the current generation of F1 car – that of achieving good balance at both low speed and high. But there was nothing concrete standing it up.

We are slightly better informed one week on, though still finding out more. But, talking to the relevant people in the paddock, it looks very much like no-one was using it, although at least one team (and probably three) had versions of it ready to go.
McLaren
McLaren advantage over non-Red Bull field before Miami: 0.899%

McLaren advantage over non-Red Bull field after Miami: 1.247%

I.e. McLaren pulled away from the non-Red Bull teams by 0.348% pre and post Miami.

Mercedes
Mercedes advantage over non-Red Bull teams before Miami: 0.614%

Mercedes advantage over non-Red Bull teams after Miami: 0.952%

I.e. Mercedes pulled away 0.337% from non-Red Bull teams pre and post Miami.

Red Bull
If we do the same calculation for Red Bull (taking out Mercedes and McLaren), we get the following:

2024 Red Bull advantage before Miami: 1.22%

2024 Red Bull advantage after Miami: 1.29%

I.e. almost unchanged gap between Red Bull and the non-Mercedes/McLaren teams pre and post China.

So in summary, since the supposed change was imposed upon Red Bull, there has been no significant change in its pace. But McLaren and Mercedes have improved by over 0.3% relative to the non-Red Bulls. Which utterly demolishes the idea that the numbers support the contention that Red Bull had some advantage which was subsequently taken off it. They absolutely do not.
Fair to have speculated either way, but it pretty much turned out how I predicted. Paolo Filisetti made up some nonsense like he does every year. Peter Windsor and Craig Scarborough perhaps unwittingly helped disseminate the nonsense to various parts of the internet. After that, many low-quality websites sites reposted it as their own original content.

AMUS, Motorsport-total, and Erik van Haren never wanted anything to do with this story but they are not in the business of writing fiction.

Wil992
Wil992

Andi76 wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 06:39

Could it be that exactly your different understanding clearly proves that there could have been different interpretations of this rule :wink: :D ?
:D . Yeah, I see your point and it’s well made.

I personally don’t think you can ignore the first half of a sentence just to get the meaning you want and stand any chance of convincing eg the FIA that you’re correct. But I’m not some internet hero who thinks he can never be wrong. So, that’s fine. My interpretation is what it is, others may differ. Vice la difference etc.

Stu

Vanja #66 wrote:
Wil992 wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

A disc, singular
This is the bit that has been making me think.
I can only imagine that a system that allows a progressive bleed of fluid pressure across a caliper to be of any real use. Other than to encourage turn-in during trail-braking I cannot see any real advantage to using such a system (progressively adding fluid pressure across a caliper could be really useful as a TC device, but would anyone want to use such a system when pad & disc thicknesses are mandated - wear would be a huge issue).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 11:00
Andi76 wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 16:28
Such a system obviously does not require larger brakes. Neither the 1997 McLaren nor the 1998 McLaren, which were proven to have this system, had larger brakes. And back then, the cars were much closer to the limit as far as brakes were concerned (defective brake disks such as Frentzen's in Australia in 1997, etc.). In the same way, neither the 97 nor the 98 McLaren had ABS. McLarens System back then worked with a switch to select either rear brake according to the direction of the corner, which they were then able to apply to either turn the car in under power (by braking the inner wheel) or prevent inner wheel spin when accelerating out of a corner. Breaking of one rear wheel under power will reduce the torque delivered to the wheel on that side and increase it to the opposite side via the open differential. The net result is a turning moment imparted to the car, which steers it toward the side of the breaked wheel.
I think you are missing the larger brake point. More brake use creates more heat. There would have to be a way to compensate. Either the cooling ducts are larger than expected, or the brakes themselves are larger. "larger" does not mean obvious either. It could have been only a small increase.

I don't understand how you can dispute the brake locking. It is written in the article:
“We had to learn how to work with it, because you had to accelerate while you braked, otherwise you just locked the wheel.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/latest-n ... l-3153421/

Can you dispute David Coulthard, the driver who used the system?

I have not commented on the rest as I don't see a need to address speculation after further clarification from the FIA.
Where did i dispute Coulthard? I didn't. I didn't contradict Coulthard anywhere. All I said was that you don't need bigger brakes or ABS. And that's obvious, because in 1998 the teams used the biggest brakes anyway because they were restricted by the regulations and ABS was banned. That's all I said. That you have to tune such a system is clear, but it didn't need bigger brakes or ABS.

And if you are already referring to this article - here are some excerpts on how "easy" it was to realize:

The technology was basic, to say the least: “All we had to do was put an extra master cylinder on the car, and a length of Aeroquip [brake hose] that went to the right rear calliper, so that when you pushed the normal pedal it would put both rear callipers on, and when you pressed the fiddle brake it only activated the right rear.”

“It was surprisingly simple to implement,” recalls Tim Goss, who was chief test team engineer at the time. “We obviously had to check that we were clear on the regulation side. My recollection is that we were confident that it was legal, and we just went for it. In terms of how we got to the assembly, and how we applied the brakes to one rear wheel, it was not much more than an additional pedal and brake master cylinder plumbed in the right way.”

Mika was using the paddle clutch so we just went back to an extra pedal – still only three, but throttle, brake and fiddle-brake. He was very open-minded so he went out and tried it, and on his first run he went half a second a lap faster, which was pretty enormous.

“It did a fantastic job. I set it up on purpose with the pressure in the master cylinder so that he had to push quite hard on it, because I didn’t want him to tap the thing and it suddenly spin. He’d use the normal brake to slow the car down enough and then use the fiddle brake just to balance the car. You could push with a little more or less pressure.

“It was a brilliantly simple piece of engineering, which worked,” says David. “It meant I had four pedals because I didn’t use the hand-clutch. Well, I had a hand-clutch – actually I had two hand-clutches, and one foot-clutch, which I preferred. I felt at that time it was still an advantage.

“I had tried left-foot braking in the ’96 car in Jerez and didn’t really feel comfortable with it, and reverted to right-foot braking. And it must have been 1999 before I got into left-foot braking again.

“We had to learn how to work with it, because you had to accelerate while you braked, otherwise you just locked the wheel. You could feel it was an advantage, because it yawed the car. So instead of riding over the front tyre, you could rotate the car without having to put steering lock on.

“And steering lock affects the aerodynamics quite a lot, so there was an advantage aerodynamically in having that. We could use it also to control a bit of wheel-spin on the inside wheel, coming out of tight corners. Independently Mika and I both worked that out. The theory had been proven in tanks and things like that, but actually doing it at speed out on the track was always going to be a bit different!”

PhillipM
PhillipM

Not to mention it'd already been used in dakar, rallying, safari, hillclimb and trials racers long before F1 and so was well developed and proven, and people were well experienced in where and how to use it.
It's not like it was some magic innovation they'd just invented.

Red Rock Mutley

The original regulation is intriguing because it limits the force on the brake pads regardless of direction, defining it solely in terms of magnitude. In theory, it would have been acceptable to create asymmetry by retracting the pistons on one caliper as long as they were pushed into the pads with equal force on the other caliper. I have a question for the forum: Is it compliant to configure the pistons to operate in a double-acting hydraulic cylinder mode?

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

PhillipM wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 11:26
... it'd already been used in dakar, rallying, safari, hillclimb and trials racers long before F1 and so was well developed and proven ....
the slower the corner the greater is the potential benefit ....
the faster the corner the less is the potential benefit
ie the work to rotate the vehicle does not change with vehicle speed
but the work eg to make a vehicle northbound at x mph become eastbound at x mph is proportional to x squared

btw
Indianapolis-type cars had symmetrical braking forces but asymmetrical mass distribution
Ronnie Petersen had 5 pedals in his F1 Lotus

Big Tea

Red Rock Mutley wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 12:15
The original regulation is intriguing because it limits the force on the brake pads regardless of direction, defining it solely in terms of magnitude. In theory, it would have been acceptable to create asymmetry by retracting the pistons on one caliper as long as they were pushed into the pads with equal force on the other caliper. I have a question for the forum: Is it compliant to configure the pistons to operate in a double-acting hydraulic cylinder mode?
In Trial, there is an extra person onboard who's job is the 'fiddle break', many courses could not be navigated without it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Fluido
Fluido

Has it been proven that any team used this brake valve?
is FIA obliged to publish the name of the violator and sanction him?

Watto
Watto

Fluido wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 09:21
Has it been proven that any team used this brake valve?
is FIA obliged to publish the name of the violator and sanction him?
Has not been proven no, and the FIA isn't obliged to name anyone that did iirc. Or perhaps better put if a team used a loophole to get around a rule I don't believe there is any need to name them. If a team broke it when it was a clear rule I suspect we would hear somthing.

But Ted Kravitz asked up and down pit lane last week, including Andy Shovlin iirc from Mercedes if it was Red Bull that was using it and if that explained their drop in form, his reply - as with other up and down pit lane was no just Red Bull took a bad development path and that their upgrades were 'downgrades'. I take that enough at face value as teams then to know when someone is doing something a little dodgy.

chrisc90

FIA did come out and say that no teams were found to be using anything along the lines aswell.

The new line(s) added to the regulations was to not stop anyone from using any devices found this season.