2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Just not good enough in S1.

Space-heat
Space-heat

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 00:19
Charles had snaps in S1 and S2, his S3 was really strong. P3 after his S1 is a great result.

.Bole
.Bole

Again nothing to improve on those softs

ScuderiaLeo

Definitely some time left on the table for both drivers. I wonder if Leclerc's S1 cost him pole. He's been struggling there all day.

Still a positive session compared to the others. Both of the drivers at the top, and Ferrari is the highest placed team overall. Hopefully the sprint goes well so they can bring good vibes into the feature qualifying session.

Assuming everyone stays in their current positions (unlikely) the top teams will walk away with:
  • Ferrari: 10 points
  • Red Bull: 8 points
  • Mercedes: 9 points
  • McLaren: 5 points
Edit: After looking at it again I don't think he lost pole because of this one moment, but I have not watched the whole lap to see if he made any other mistakes. Temperatures dropping also didn't help. It's set to be a smidge warmer in the feature qualifying, not sure how much of a difference that'll make.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Usual soft tyres clown show but went better than expected.

ScuderiaLeo

Track temps during SQ and FP.
  • Start of FP: 37.9
  • End of FP: 36.2 [-1.7]
  • End of SQ1: 35.6 [-1.4]
  • End of SQ2: 34.4 [-1.1]
  • Start of SQ3: 35.1
  • End of SQ3: 34.3 [-0.8]

scuderiabrandon

yep the moment in S1 cost almost the entire gap to Verstappen. Shame, but better in SQ than GPQ. I really think our race pace is going to be strong.

deadhead

Space-heat wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 00:22
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 00:19
Charles had snaps in S1 and S2, his S3 was really strong. P3 after his S1 is a great result.
Car was better through there until he did the classic +4 on the front wing but I guess it balances out the lap at the end

Sevach
Sevach

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 00:28
Definitely some time left on the table for both drivers. I wonder if Leclerc's S1 cost him pole. He's been struggling there all day.

Still a positive session compared to the others. Both of the drivers at the top, and Ferrari is the highest placed team overall. Hopefully the sprint goes well so they can bring good vibes into the feature qualifying session.

Assuming everyone stays in their current positions (unlikely) the top teams will walk away with:
  • Ferrari: 10 points
  • Red Bull: 8 points
  • Mercedes: 9 points
  • McLaren: 5 points
Edit: After looking at it again I don't think he lost pole because of this one moment, but I have not watched the whole lap to see if he made any other mistakes. Temperatures dropping also didn't help. It's set to be a smidge warmer in the feature qualifying, not sure how much of a difference that'll make.
Biiig jump at the bump,
I hope for the GP Ferrari can do something about this bump, and Charles can adapt for the sprint.

In terms of pure performance the car seems to be there, and it was the fastest car on mediums... i'm optimistic.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

The car still simply has a weak front end response. That's what S1 is all about and it's why we're terribly weak there. Not a good sign that the new front wing has helped anything.

dialtone
dialtone

The car is fine. They obviously know now how to extract performance out of the floor. The car is a lot closer than in Silverstone where LEC was out in q2 and SAI 0.7 off.

We’re done with it while MCL and RBR are going to bring more updates.

This was a fine quali, they improved on most of their issues.

Vanja #66

Leclerc definitely missed the Sprint Pole if we look at sectors in isolation. He was exceptionally quick after the back straight and I suspect his mistake saved him tyres. Apparently, there are two corners with old asphalt which is where everyone seems to be making mistakes in the snake over bumps
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Ahead of the Sprint Shootout, Ferrari made some setup changes to shift the overall balance toward the rear. It did this by also going to work on the ground clearance. This move improved stability in medium-speed corners, but as a result made the car more unstable in the “snake” section, where some oversteer in the middle of the corner occurred, with the rear tending to lighten up. Behavior was not always constant, manifesting itself only under certain conditions.

For the Prancing Horse, a certain difficulty in turning on the Softs emerged, especially in the first sector. In general it was seen how the SF-24 could not bring the compounds into the ideal temperature window, with the result that T1 was faced with tires colder than the target temperature. During the lap the rubber tire warmed up progressively reaching the optimum in the third sector, where the car found a lot of mechanical grip. Leclerc confirmed that he had no feeling with the Soft. Probably the warm-up strategy of the compound was not the correct one.
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... guaio.html
FORZA FERRARI!

scuderiabrandon

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 09:13
Leclerc definitely missed the Sprint Pole if we look at sectors in isolation. He was exceptionally quick after the back straight and I suspect his mistake saved him tyres. Apparently, there are two corners with old asphalt which is where everyone seems to be making mistakes in the snake over bumps
So did both Mercs. Russell lost 2 tenths to Hamilton in T1, and he was 0.012 off pole. Hamilton got unlucky with the yellow flag, hew was in the 24s in S1, closest to him was VER 25.1. They seem to work really well in the cooler conditions. The sprint is much earlier so they might struggle in the sprint, GPQ is really late so they might come alive again, depending on how the sprint goes, and they don't make big setup changes in the meantime.

I think if Charles puts a lap together, he can be on the front row at best, but I think in the cooler conditions the quali pace is not there for us. Unless they make setup changes or change the out lap a bit, I think pole position is a tough ask.

His “mistake” in SQ3 was just the car bottoming out, I presume he could take it a tad bit easier through there, but a time loss seems inevitable. I hate how shite we are on the soft tyre in comparison to the harder compounds.

ScuderiaLeo

It's unfortunate qualifying is so late in the day. It will be warmer today in Austin overall and Ferrari could've used that boost. Almost all of the SF-24's issues can be traced back to the softer compound, since it appears the bouncing is no longer a limiting factor.

Vasseur and the drivers were insistent pole was not a possibility due to the temperatures. (Despite people in other threads saying Leclerc could've gotten pole...) This doesn't give me much optimism for today's qualifying, but they seem to have an advantage in the long runs and maybe they can use that to execute something magical in the race. If Leclerc qualifies second row for Sunday, it'll be a good test of their strategy team.

Both drivers gaining even just one position in the sprint that would be great. Norris not doing as expected yesterday and the subsequent WDC discourse shows why every single point is so important!