2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 15:55
mwillems wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 15:42
Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 15:32
Flex wings I would say, using the B team as a shield but nothing else comes to mind yet. Both issues had a lot of controversy though.
B Team has never been shown to be aiding RBs car design. Flexi wings, they did nothing wrong. They found a way to gain benefit within the rules and tests and exploited it until the tests were tightened, like we may well be doing now.

Basically, nothing around the way they design the car has breached rules and they do not have a history of designing illegal cars or parts. Only a ridiculous amount of bias and bad will would cause an individual to suggest so.

I don't like Red Bull, but I admire then, they are a brilliant team who are the masters of car design, I hope that Mclaren are in the early stages of emulating their abilities and hopefully their success.

Hell Yes... We've been waiting a long long time to be on top again...
It's the nature of the sport and it shows how brutal it can be for those working hard to deliver results.

People stop caring anymore where you come from and how hard it is to get at the front. Once you put yourself in a position where top results are possible, you will get harshly judged if you don't meet that expectation. It is happening to McLaren, and it happened (in a more severe level) to Aston as well.

I guess it was easy for people to forget that McLaren had barely been able to produce any sort of memorable performances since 2013. Up until the midpoint of last year, that's a whole decade. Way too long of a time to be away from the top. It's therefore natural that operationally, they cannot perform at the same level as teams which have been fighting at the top for the entirety of that 10 year period.

Nevertheless, well-wishes don't hurt anyone as long as they're within reasonable bounds of expectations.

For my side, I don't have any expectation the driver's championship is reachable this year. It would be RedBull's to lose and bar some miracle, the difference is quite significant to close when you have such high competition with Mercedes (and highly likely, Ferrari at some point again) being there to steal good results when RedBull is having an off-day.

The WCC on the other hand, I feel it's a realistic target albeit still not easy. It would be a tremendous achievement for the team.

It would be the first one since 1998 and would reset a counter that's been active for almost 30 years.

bauc

I hope we can win the constructors this year, it would be a huge boost for next years chances to fight for the drivers as well.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Zynerji

bauc wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 16:13
I hope we can win the constructors this year, it would be a huge boost for next years chances to fight for the drivers as well.
If im a driver fighting to win next year, I want my team to finish 5th-ish this year so I get more in-season development time. 8)

bauc

Zynerji wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 16:21
bauc wrote:
If im a driver fighting to win next year, I want my team to finish 5th-ish this year so I get more in-season development time. 8)
Well this generation of cars is at their end of the development line so it would not matter for next year as much as the moral boost and the reaffirmation of everyone's hard work since as almost 2 years ago we were dead last, not to mention the HONDA years ect going back to 2013 and the start of the ''fall'' of Mclaren.

Darth-Piekus

And Emag if we win the WCC this year we can make fun of Ferrari not having a championship since 2008. You know for fun.

mwillems

bauc wrote:
Yeah I think this has to be the number one target this year, in my opinion. This, of course, will impact strategy in a way that Lando is not so keen on, but the team has already laid down its marker on that score.

I think the WCC is within grasp. Since China we have average 6.3 points per race more than Red Bull. We are 42 points behind with 10 races to go. Since Canada we have averaged 9.4 points per race more than Red Bull. If we keep up the current trend then we have a very strong chance to win the WCC.

It's critical that before others bring updates, that we maximise our opportunities.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 13:34
bauc wrote:
Yeah I think this has to be the number one target this year, in my opinion. This, of course, will impact strategy in a way that Lando is not so keen on, but the team has already laid down its marker on that score.

I think the WCC is within grasp. Since China we have average 6.3 points per race more than Red Bull. We are 42 points behind with 10 races to go. Since Canada we have averaged 9.4 points per race more than Red Bull. If we keep up the current trend then we have a very strong chance to win the WCC.

It's critical that before others bring updates, that we maximise our opportunities.
Surely we should be confident in Mclarens upgrades too? Stella does fill me with confidence.
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 16:30
mwillems wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 13:34
bauc wrote:

Surely we should be confident in Mclarens upgrades too? Stella does fill me with confidence.
Yes we can, but that doesn't give us the right to assume that others can't also do a very good job.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Of course the others can.
But like Stella said, Mclaren have held some development firepower back so hopefully they should be able to keep up with the best of them :D

I also don’t think anyone will massively out develop the rest anyway, we are pretty much at the ceiling. Obviously my wildest dream is for Mclaren to take a healthy step ahead of the field but I’m keep that thought very deeply buried :twisted:
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Yeah I think we will develop well, I just don't want to take it for granted. Plus, it's a given we need to convert our potential into more points and wins than we are.

In other news, the FIA have confirmed that nobody broke rules around braking, they were future proofing the rules.
Last edited by mwillems on 20 Aug 2024, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

mwillems wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 20:02
Yeah I think we will develop well, I just don't want to take it for granted. Plus, it's a given we need to convert our potential into more points and wins that we are.

In other news, the FIA have confirmed that nobody broke rules around breaking, they were future proofing the rules.
That won't stop the conspiracy theorists though!!
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

bauc wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 16:26
Zynerji wrote:
bauc wrote:
Well this generation of cars is at their end of the development line so it would not matter for next year as much as the moral boost and the reaffirmation of everyone's hard work since as almost 2 years ago we were dead last, not to mention the HONDA years ect going back to 2013 and the start of the ''fall'' of Mclaren.
Don't forget though that 2025's allocation of wind tunnel and CFD runs will be used to develop the new car for 2026.

Mercedes and Ferrari could have an advantage in that regard, so too Aston.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

bauc

PapayaFan481 wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 21:11
bauc wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 16:26
Zynerji wrote:

Don't forget though that 2025's allocation of wind tunnel and CFD runs will be used to develop the new car for 2026.

Mercedes and Ferrari could have an advantage in that regard, so too Aston.
That is correct, but if you can win the championship now, its better to do it, you never know what the future holds.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 17:00
And Emag if we win the WCC this year we can make fun of Ferrari not having a championship since 2008. You know for fun.
There's not that much in terms of bragging rights when it comes to the WCC.
Either way, Ferrari has been far more successful in the interim regardless of their failure to win another title since 2007.

In any case, if you support a team, you should celebrate their achievements for what they are and not see it as an excuse to rub it in the face of competitors (who as I pointed out, have been more successful in the mid-term future anyway).

It's a bit immature.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

It might be an unpopular opinion, but if McLaren could win only one title this year, I'd much prefer it to be the constructors title. The last one was 1998, before any of our drivers were born. The fact that they had it taken away from them in 2007 still annoys me, because another team was guilty of the same offence and something worse later on. I just want that constructors title out of the way and to have the prestige of beam a World Champion team again. Williams actually has more WCC's than McLaren
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.