2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 13:08
It might be an unpopular opinion, but if McLaren could win only one title this year, I'd much prefer it to be the constructors title. The last one was 1998, before any of our drivers were born. The fact that they had it taken away from them in 2007 still annoys me, because another team was guilty of the same offence and something worse later on. I just want that constructors title out of the way and to have the prestige of beam a World Champion team again. Williams actually has more WCC's than McLaren
Yeah, I'd prefer the constructors also.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Some visuals on the championship so far and the trends.

Top graph shows the average points per race after each round which gives a nice (almost) horizontal view of how the teams performance compares as the season goes on with outliers being blurred out a little.

Bottom shows points per race and the trend. Mercedes are trending to overcome our points to race if things carry on as they are, but it shouldn't be enough to overturn their deficit. At this race they'll match our points performance in 5 races or so.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
It might be an unpopular opinion, but if McLaren could win only one title this year, I'd much prefer it to be the constructors title. The last one was 1998, before any of our drivers were born. The fact that they had it taken away from them in 2007 still annoys me, because another team was guilty of the same offence and something worse later on. I just want that constructors title out of the way and to have the prestige of beam a World Champion team again. Williams actually has more WCC's than McLaren
Given that if we get WDC we are surely going to get WCC it is not really a question of what you would prefer.

But agreed, if hypothetically we can get WCC or WDC, I'd also go for WCC.

EDIT: fixed WCC / WDC mistake.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 22 Aug 2024, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 10:31
Ground Effect wrote:
Given that if we get WCC we are surely going to get WDC it is not really a question of what you would prefer.

Whilst historically it is common for the team that houses the winner of the WDC to also win the WCC, I don't think that this year what you are suggesting would correlate. We could easily win the WCC and not the WDC, mainly because most of Red Bulls points come from one driver. If Perez could drive this Red Bull, we wouldn't be in with a shout of the WCC this year. Make no mistake that it is driving pairings that are making the difference this campaign, at least as much as the car. We would have little chance in the WCC if any of these were true:
  • Perez could drive the Bull and get good points
  • One of our drivers was struggling to get good points
  • The car was any less fast than it is now
So I would not get complacent about any championship.

Below we can see Norris performance against Max who many believe is now in the slower car, if only slightly. The gap only continues to extend, unfortunately. Norris has a hell of a lot of work to do if he wants to be a WDC challenger and I don't think he is there yet. Whilst circumstance always comes in to play, Max is consistently getting the better of Lando and that is largely on Lando.

Despite having arguably the faster car on average since Miami, Lando has finished in front of Max only twice. In fact, Oscar has outscored Lando by Ten points from Round 7 onwards.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 11:45
FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 10:31
Ground Effect wrote:
Given that if we get WCC we are surely going to get WDC it is not really a question of what you would prefer.

Whilst historically it is common for the team that houses the winner of the WDC to also win the WCC, I don't think that this year what you are suggesting would correlate. We could easily win the WCC and not the WDC, mainly because most of Red Bulls points come from one driver. If Perez could drive this Red Bull, we wouldn't be in with a shout of the WCC this year. Make no mistake that it is driving pairings that are making the difference this campaign, at least as much as the car. We would have little chance in the WCC if any of these were true:
  • Perez could drive the Bull and get good points
  • One of our drivers was struggling to get good points
  • The car was any less fast than it is now
So I would not get complacent about any championship.

Below we can see Norris performance against Max who many believe is now in the slower car, if only slightly. The gap only continues to extend, unfortunately. Norris has a hell of a lot of work to do if he wants to be a WDC challenger and I don't think he is there yet. Whilst circumstance always comes in to play, Max is consistently getting the better of Lando and that is largely on Lando.

https://i.ibb.co/CwGyHXG/Norris-vs-Verstappen.png

Despite having arguably the faster car on average since Miami, Lando has finished in front of Max only twice. In fact, Oscar has outscored Lando by Ten points from Round 7 onwards.
Sorry, I miswrote (I switched WCC and WDC around). I wanted to say if Lando wins WDC we will surely win WCC because Perez is so much slower than Piastri.

But yes, the cars are close in pace and Verstappen is extracting the maximum, both strategy wise, tactics wise or being slightly dirty sometimes (Austria).

mwillems

Yeah I think if we win the WDC then we will be WCC too. Sadly, I think Lando and the team have shot their chances now of the WDC.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 13:46
Yeah I think if we win the WDC then we will be WCC too. Sadly, I think Lando and the team have shot their chances now of the WDC.
Whenever I think about that I have to remind myself how big of an improvement these last years were. This is an amazing result. Getting WCC or even getting close to one is a huge result.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 13:54
mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 13:46
Whenever I think about that I have to remind myself how big of an improvement these last years were. This is an amazing result. Getting WCC or even getting close to one is a huge result.
For sure, I agree. I'm disappointed with some of the dropped points but the position we are in is amazing. Still, I have to admit, that is a little bit of mid tier team done good mentality, we probably shouldn't be OK with the dropped points.

Next year, well, from Zandvoort on (!), for instance, we need to nail the pit stop markers and not overshoot, get the starts right, not go off track when leading, make better decisions with racecraft and in the strategy corner, because despite the fact we are all happy with the ascent; It's been not near good enough. We can't take for granted that we will be this competitive in the future. We've got to take our chances.

-Bandit

Luscion
Luscion

Mclaren have brought upgrades this weekend according to Norris

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... PYKiFlba3x

mwillems

Luscion wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 19:13
Mclaren have brought upgrades this weekend according to Norris

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... PYKiFlba3x
Ahh, he broke his rib around Austria.

Look forward to seeing what the updates are.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

According to Norris it’s Mclarens ‘first significant upgrade since Miami’
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/ever ... mer-break/
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

CjC wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 20:22
*dont get too excited* *dont get too excited* *dont get too excited* *dont get too excited* *dont get too excited*

mwillems

Parts of the Mclaren are visible in the shots of the Alpine. The front wing looks unchanged, from what I can see.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

It’s probably just a new floor

CjC
CjC

Macklaren wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 21:37
CjC wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 20:22
*dont get too excited* *dont get too excited* *dont get too excited* *dont get too excited* *dont get too excited*
I second that :lol: