2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

At the moment we arent showing anything significant though we dont know the fuel levels or if they are only testing.

In any case Im positive for a good result and that we will keep catching Red Bull at the WCC.

Emag
Emag

Pace is good. Mercedes is just a little bit better.

Not surprising with how good they have been for a couple of races now. At Belgium they arguably had the overall best car.

Darth-Piekus

We shal see once Qualification starts.

Shader

Mercedes seems to have the edge over 1 lap, unless McLaren were sandbagging. Race pace laps data should give us clearer picture...

Darth-Piekus

Usually Mclaren doesnt show much on Fridays. I believe the car will show much more tomorrow.

Lucky
Lucky

CjC
CjC

It’s gonna be tight.
Quali is going to become more and more important these days again.
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/dutc ... l-mclaren/
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 17:37
The softs are clearly running to a delta. Long run looks very good, tight with Max on this data, but it's Friday, so let's shake the magic 8 ball and go again tomorrow.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

_cerber1

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 13:32

I guess that the investment into the wind tunnel and other tools is paying off with that great correlation.
I wonder how much of it is that. On the FP coverage yesterday someone, I can't remember who, referred to Red Bull's wind tunnel as "old". I believe Ferrari's is "old" as well.

I really do wonder whether a brand spanking new, state of the art one, is actually giving McLaren an edge...
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

_cerber1

PapayaFan481 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 09:00
FittingMechanics wrote:

I guess that the investment into the wind tunnel and other tools is paying off with that great correlation.
I wonder how much of it is that. On the FP coverage yesterday someone, I can't remember who, referred to Red Bull's wind tunnel as "old". I believe Ferrari's is "old" as well.

I really do wonder whether a brand spanking new, state of the art one, is actually giving McLaren an edge...
Red Bull does have an old wind tunnel, but it can be upgraded periodically. Ferrari's tunnel was built in 2013, and they upgraded it several times as well. Our wind tunnel had size limitations, so it couldn't serve any longer, so they had to build a new one. In any case, I think Ferrari's problem is not with infrastructure, but with brains.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

For stella to come out and say the upgrades were delivered successfully it tells me there's much more to come from us in relation to Mercedes and possibly also redbull. As where we are right now is more where I feel we would have been pre-upgrade and a track like this.
I think we left more time on the table but we will see later on.

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 09:22
PapayaFan481 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 09:00
FittingMechanics wrote:

Red Bull does have an old wind tunnel, but it can be upgraded periodically. Ferrari's tunnel was built in 2013, and they upgraded it several times as well. Our wind tunnel had size limitations, so it couldn't serve any longer, so they had to build a new one. In any case, I think Ferrari's problem is not with infrastructure, but with brains.
I believe RBs tunnel is old, in terms of the date it was created, but it has been kept very much up to date. At least that is what I have read, as this conversation has done the rounds several times.

Ferrari's tunnel appears not to be able to test lateral winds, something that hampered the Mclaren and no doubt was a notable aid in our testing, so I'm sure they will get a benefit from any upgrade. Hopefully not so much that they can catch us, but we'll see.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Interesting to see that for the first time F1.com is putting McLaren to be the fastest in qualy trim and race trim.

They did cover themselves by putting Red Bull and Mercedes almost as fast so effectively they put all three equally but nice to see the team get some recognition.

Darth-Piekus

The weather is finally dry. We can see normal Qualifying now. Let's give it our all team.

Looks like track evolution is huge here. We got to time it right for Q2 and especially for Q3 on that last lap. On another note we have huge competition by Mercedes. It seems they finally followed Hamilton's advice and they seem to be a different team in terms of speed. I pray that Mclaren is hiding something extra that will show it soon.

The car is again very good but Mercedes has become a worthy opponent.

What happened to Hamilton? He was 2 tenths off the pace on the second stint but he lost like 3 tenths on the last part.