2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Guys, enjoy the pole.

What else can you want from Norris, he can't qualify further ahead than Verstappen. It would be better if Piastri was alongside but this will work.

I suspect that Norris has bad starts *because* he is turning during the start to cover off attacks. He should point his car where he wants it to go, start straight and not yield in T1. If Verstappen wants Piastri to gain 25 on him then by all means, lets go.

Verstappen has much more to lose if he crashes.

willmesquita

I agree, no angle tomorrow!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

mwillems

He's got to tighten the space if Max attacks, but he's got to consider that there are more people on track than just the one he's focussed on at the start.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Verstappen has the tendency to dive charge at all costs. You can either move or get out of the way. Considering he has the inside line what is the best way for Norris to defend?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:22
Verstappen has the tendency to dive charge at all costs. You can either move or get out of the way. Considering he has the inside line what is the best way for Norris to defend?
Tell him before the race, I will keep my line on the outside. I'm fine with a crash and Piastri wining for McLaren.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Really promising pace - very rare does anyone put a margin like that on Max, who feels he got the most out of his Red Bull.

Lets see how it translates on a Sunday, as Max looked excellent on Friday but nontheless not a bad first sign from our upgrades.

bluechris

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:25
Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:22
Tell him before the race, I will keep my line on the outside. I'm fine with a crash and Piastri wining for McLaren.
No, crash is not needed, to get the championship you need to be careful. Leave max to do his thing, the car is better than RB especially in corner exits before the DRS zones so it will pass again.

Darth-Piekus

Can two cars fit in that first corner for Norris taking the faster outside line and Max taking the slower inside line?

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

You're all assuming Max attacks Lando, what about if Oscar has a lightning start and is challenging Max!!
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

BMMR61

Great speed and consistency in the car at a very tricky coastal venue. The new parts already seem to be working in harmony, as were every update tracking back to last year's steady rise. The insightful Mark Hughes at The Race remarks that the DRS deficit to RedBull has been addressed as well as the balance maintained with higher downforce levels. https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mcla ... ualifying/

Is it coincidental that McLaren upgrades all seem to work but also that they address the weaknesses which the team acknowledged. Miami immediately removed the slow speed corner deficit, now the DRS speed seems to be improved. There's real genius in how this car (and it's predecessor) is being developed to be the car of the F1 field. Of course the limited representative running this weekend may be hiding something in terms of competitiveness but to bring updates that immediately appear dialled-in is really impressive.

Lucky
Lucky

Max has a clear error at the beginning of the 3rd sector. He lost a couple of tenths there.

Emag
Emag

Lucky wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 06:26
https://youtu.be/jIzmz-jzW6Q?si=Bff_wxItYfns95e3
Max has a clear error at the beginning of the 3rd sector. He lost a couple of tenths there.
Yes, judging by his previous lap and assuming some natural improvement as well, he lost around 0.1-0.15s

The “real” gap would have been closer to 0.2s

Ben1980
Ben1980

I did read that the RBR car is a better carcat starts, do we have to be careful. And while some talk of their demise, they are mo way near dead yet! Will likely be close.

And Lando and his starts, while he has had some issues, 11 have been fine, and that's still the majority.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 09:38
Lucky wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 06:26
https://youtu.be/jIzmz-jzW6Q?si=Bff_wxItYfns95e3
Yes, judging by his previous lap and assuming some natural improvement as well, he lost around 0.1-0.15s

The “real” gap would have been closer to 0.2s
Which is roughly what it was after first run in Q3.

CjC
CjC

I’ll still happily take a quarter of a second👍🏻
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-f ... /10647544/
Just a fan's point of view