2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mzso
mzso

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

FW17 wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 15:28
aleks_ader wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 14:23
FW17 wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 12:28
Crazy to hear the team principal being best friend with rival team principal. Story of them sharing the same plane to Bahrain is crazy, almost digging ones own grave.
Umm #-o WTF they are professional Jesus Christ guys calm down.
No way rival bosses spend time together on a personal level. Business is too important that these friendship needs to take pause.

What kind of message does this send to the whole team? It is demotivating to consider a rival team as a best friend.
BS. Such.a foolish idea that competitors shouldn't be friends...

LM10
LM10

Tweets from "tami." translating parts of Vasseur's interview with AUTOhebdo.

#AUTOhebdo has contacted Vasseur about reports from Italian media claiming he has little power in the team & Vigna making the decisions.

Vasseur (surprised): "I have the means & the power of decision that I have never had elsewhere. This is the reality of the situation!"
Vasseur about David Sanchez leaving:

Vasseur: "It's inevitable. There are people who were very close to Mattia and who prefer to leave; which doesn't bother me. And there are others who may have feared for a moment for their future."
Vasseur: "I find it difficult to understand why the team becomes a target after only one race. As far as the correlation between the simulation and the track is concerned, we are in line."
Vasseur: "That's why I asked everyone to stay focused on performance and find solutions to reliability issues, because the championship is long. Just because you don't win the first one doesn't mean you're offside. Bahrain was bad in some ways, and good in others!"
Vasseur on the reports about Charles requesting a meeting with John Elkann to discuss the situation.

Vasseur: "We spoke with the drivers, Elkann and Vigna after winter testing, and we will all speak again together after Imola. These meetings are planned.."

I hope this will calm down some of the people here.

As a side note, Diego Tonde seems to be taking over the role of Head of Vehicle Concept. What's more, Mekies and Gualtieri are not leaving, btw.

What I like about Vasseur is that he seems to be quite open about such topics. He's level-headed until now.

deadhead

mzso wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 20:24
deadhead wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 06:15
jambuka wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 04:24
LEC needs to get out of Ferrari asap. He won't win WDC with Ferrari.
There is a good chance he might, but he does have a contract until 24 and … where would he actually go that would be a better prospect?
Red Bull.
Based on what we saw last year before the Ferrari got handicapped, Max and Charles produced what I see as the best racing a fan can possibly ask for.. so, the prospect of them being in the same machinery is mouth watering, but it will probably never happens, although I don’t think Max would be against it to be honest.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

LM10 wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 00:12
Tweets from "tami." translating parts of Vasseur's interview with AUTOhebdo.

#AUTOhebdo has contacted Vasseur about reports from Italian media claiming he has little power in the team & Vigna making the decisions.

Vasseur (surprised): "I have the means & the power of decision that I have never had elsewhere. This is the reality of the situation!"
Vasseur about David Sanchez leaving:

Vasseur: "It's inevitable. There are people who were very close to Mattia and who prefer to leave; which doesn't bother me. And there are others who may have feared for a moment for their future."
Vasseur: "I find it difficult to understand why the team becomes a target after only one race. As far as the correlation between the simulation and the track is concerned, we are in line."
Vasseur: "That's why I asked everyone to stay focused on performance and find solutions to reliability issues, because the championship is long. Just because you don't win the first one doesn't mean you're offside. Bahrain was bad in some ways, and good in others!"
Vasseur on the reports about Charles requesting a meeting with John Elkann to discuss the situation.

Vasseur: "We spoke with the drivers, Elkann and Vigna after winter testing, and we will all speak again together after Imola. These meetings are planned.."

I hope this will calm down some of the people here.

As a side note, Diego Tonde seems to be taking over the role of Head of Vehicle Concept. What's more, Mekies and Gualtieri are not leaving, btw.

What I like about Vasseur is that he seems to be quite open about such topics. He's level-headed until now.
This is somewhat reassuring I have to admit, my only reservation is that, in the specific case of Ferrari, the rumours are usually true and the personnel talking to the media are simply trying to save face. This exact thing happened with Binotto only months ago…

But, I am trying not to be cynical. I certainly don’t think hope is lost for 2023. And, perhaps, if what Fred says is true and he has the power he needs to shape the team - then this could be net-positive.

Only time will tell

Chuckjr

I’ve been astonished at what I’ve read over the last number of pages of this thread. The overreaction to Ferrari’s woe’s has been exceptional, and I don’t think necessary. I think we won’t know Ferrari’s true pace for a few races, tbh. Jeddah this weekend will help fill in some gaps of information. I expect AMR and Ferrari to improve quite a bit and hopefully more than RB to level the sharp end by mid-season. The joy is not knowing, and finding out if they can. Let’s see how this unfolds. It’s a long way to Wally World folks, so chill.
Watching F1 since 1986.

organic

In #SaudiArabiaGP the load levels between RedBull, Ferrari and Mercedes will approach each other.
Ferrari developments are already scheduled until May but porpoising must be under control before the load can be increased.
Contacts Vasseur/Binotto #F1

How is it they're suffering from porpoising when trying to add downforce this year? Seems that Ferrari are the only team who still have it to a significant extent.

S D

mzso wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 23:51
organic wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 14:42
Vigna took over GeS, leaving (only) the DS duties to Vasseur. These were not the initial plans. Elkann will have to step in directly to redefine the competencies. Only then, perhaps, could Mekies be persuaded to stay.

Ferrari discontent: the current structure is very fragile
https://www.formu1a.uno/malumori-ferrar ... o-fragile/

I don't know much about internal ferrari politics so won't comment
WTF is GeS and DS?
Gestione Sportiva Ferrari translates to Ferrari Sporting Management
Direttore Sportivo translates to Sporting Director

In Ferrari's case sporting means racing

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ferrari have gotten some RB engineers recently in their aerodynamics department: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10443204/
That there is a bit of confusion inside does not rain on us in a phase of gradual reorganization, that there is war all against all is an exaggerated vision. Diego Tondi, head of aerodynamics, has taken the role of Sanchez: the Italian is assisted by a couple of figures recently arrived from Red Bull who have brought a breath of fresh air from the world champion team.

dialtone
dialtone

f1316 wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 22:14
It’s absolutely not true that you need domain expertise to be a CEO - in fact, by definition you’re always in charge of so many departments (finance, marketing, legal, usually some kind of ‘product’ etc) that you simply cannot be an expert in all of them directly.
If you ever worked for/with a CEO that only brings management skills to the table you should know it's terrible. I will never do that again in my life.

There are such things as T-shaped individuals, people with a shallow but broad set of skills that however go very deep in one of those areas. The most important job of a CEO is to set vision/mission and alignment, holding people accountable, there's no way to do that without being strong in the area of your product. Only way this could possibly work is having a complementary second in command that operates very independently because always aligned anyway, with the CEO relinquishing control over what his/her counterpart decides.

A dual headed monster is otherwise unmanageable for employees.

f1316
f1316

dialtone wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 02:51
f1316 wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 22:14
It’s absolutely not true that you need domain expertise to be a CEO - in fact, by definition you’re always in charge of so many departments (finance, marketing, legal, usually some kind of ‘product’ etc) that you simply cannot be an expert in all of them directly.
If you ever worked for/with a CEO that only brings management skills to the table you should know it's terrible. I will never do that again in my life.

There are such things as T-shaped individuals, people with a shallow but broad set of skills that however go very deep in one of those areas. The most important job of a CEO is to set vision/mission and alignment, holding people accountable, there's no way to do that without being strong in the area of your product. Only way this could possibly work is having a complementary second in command that operates very independently because always aligned anyway, with the CEO relinquishing control over what his/her counterpart decides.

A dual headed monster is otherwise unmanageable for employees.
Can’t be bothered to debate something so off topic but very much agree to disagree. I do have experience of the type you suggest and my conclusions are different, but not much point arguing the toss about it tbh.

mzso
mzso

deadhead wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 00:22
mzso wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 20:24
deadhead wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 06:15

There is a good chance he might, but he does have a contract until 24 and … where would he actually go that would be a better prospect?
Red Bull.
Based on what we saw last year before the Ferrari got handicapped, Max and Charles produced what I see as the best racing a fan can possibly ask for.. so, the prospect of them being in the same machinery is mouth watering, but it will probably never happens, although I don’t think Max would be against it to be honest.
I think Horner/Marko might be brave enough to hire him, if he becomes free.

GrrG

Diego Tondi is David Sanchez's replacement as Ferrari aerodynamics manager

organic

There is a lot of info from AMuS in their latest episode in YouTube, but it is in German.

This twitter user translates AMuS content, but I don't know to what extent it is reliable (translation/interpretation-wise)..and of course the usual caveats of journalism reliability

Who internally would stand to gain by spreading this sort of rumour? Very odd

LM10
LM10

Finally, the nail in the coffin for the absurd and crazy rumors of the last weeks.

Before the race everything was fine and after just one race with obvious explanation for the lack of performance hell went loose. Every single movement inside the team was suspicious. Media, as always, made everything worse.

Just think about the comments of Andi76 who said that he talked to an engineer after preseason testing and there was a confident and calm atmosphere inside the team. Why would that change suddenly?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LM10 wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 20:39
Finally, the nail in the coffin for the absurd and crazy rumors of the last weeks.

Before the race everything was fine and after just one race with obvious explanation for the lack of performance hell went loose. Every single movement inside the team was suspicious. Media, as always, made everything worse.

Just think about the comments of Andi76 who said that he talked to an engineer after preseason testing and there was a confident and calm atmosphere inside the team. Why would that change suddenly?
To be honest, we still don't know anything. That's just the Ferrari way.

After all, Binotto sacking rumors are nonsense....until they weren't :wink: