Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
djos

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

marcush. wrote: Basically you say the test itself confirms legality .But this is not what is written in the rules,as Fia has the right to change the rules at any time to enforce rule conformity ...So according to the spirit of the rules the REDBULL wing is illegal as it IS DESIGNED TO BEND WHEN THE CAR IS COMPETING ..whereas the rules state the wing is not allowed to move relative to the body in any ways.

The static load test is just a means to give a tolerance on the bending allowed ,as obviously all things have some elastic behaviour ,or they ´d break .so it is more a safety check than anything else.

I dont believe this is true for a minute, the rules state that if you pass the tests & scrutineering then your car is legal - end of story imo!
"In downforce we trust"

Lurk

Well... Let's take an example:
We all know there is a big issue of illegal drug taking on cyclist races like Tour de France, Giro d'Italia etc. But some of these drugs cannot be detected for now. Is the people using these kinds of drugs cheating or not ?

It is the same for RedBull: Rules vs test system.

ahmedvortex
ahmedvortex

the fia have changed the rules for the ferrari f2007 front wing and this front wing was passing all the tests , you need to consider the deep loop that Neway opened , if it don't stop now , next year the big teams will hire military expert to develop a hole full flexing car body under specified 2G or + of load ,imagine a car which use Monza setup and suddenly benefits of 5 g or + for cornering , a car which brakes with a stall wings , add the kers , the gap between those teams and the other teams using basic technologies and smaller budget will be slower by 10 sec or more , think about it mate ; gday.
Last edited by ahmedvortex on 09 Oct 2010, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

Lurk wrote:Well... Let's take an example:
We all know there is a big issue of illegal drug taking on cyclist races like Tour de France, Giro d'Italia etc. But some of these drugs cannot be detected for now. Is the people using these kinds of drugs cheating or not ?

It is the same for RedBull: Rules vs test system.
Well it is not proven by anyone that Redbull are running material that flex. It is possible that they are running a setup on the car that lets the front of the car to get lower to the road surface. The entire car seems to be designed to allow this.

In all the pictures so far it is clear that the wing end plates are running close to the ground, but it also shows that the center of the wing is equally low. So how do you conclude that they are running flexible wings and are cheating?

Halgovern
Halgovern

WilliamsF1 wrote:
In all the pictures so far it is clear that the wing end plates are running close to the ground, but it also shows that the center of the wing is equally low. So how do you conclude that they are running flexible wings and are cheating?

spring mechanism inside nosecone would explain the lower central section, wouldn't it?
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

Pup
Pup

It means their floor is still bending, too.

segedunum
segedunum

WilliamsF1 wrote:It is possible that they are running a setup on the car that lets the front of the car to get lower to the road surface. The entire car seems to be designed to allow this.
I think this is a red herring that we've been over before. The floor is already running as low to the ground as it can. The nose section could be moving but we see no evidence of it from onboard shots.

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote:It means their floor is still bending, too.
I suspect secret pedal hydraulics are coupled to cylinders carefully hidden inside the chassis honeycomb itself, tilting the entire nose-section (pivoting at bottom), while interacting with some clever proximity sensors, minimizing FW ground-clearance.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:
I suspect secret pedal hydraulics are coupled to cylinders carefully hidden inside the chassis honeycomb itself, tilting the entire nose-section (pivoting at bottom), while interacting with some clever proximity sensors, minimizing FW ground-clearance.
I vote for mass hypnosis. Or imported Venusian aerodynamicists. :lol: Break out the tinfoil hats; this thread is going all conspiracy on us. :wtf:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

EL_XR6
EL_XR6

The other teams should stop whinging. If you can't beat them, join them!
We all know the wing is illegal in the sense that we can see it visually bending, but where is the proof when tested? Innocent until proven guilty i say.

A few weeks ago, I was speeding while driving (quite stupid of me, but i was in a rush). In the opposite direction, i saw a police car and I slammed the breaks. The police car chased after me and pulled me over. Now, he knew I was speeding but didn't catch me doing it with his radar gun. He asked me, what speed where you doing? I don't know why, but i said 'I wasn't speeding'. The thing is, he couldn't do anything because a) he had no proof, and b) I didn't admit to it. I don't recall Red Bull ever claiming that their front wing bends excessively either. They always claim that their car passes the test, therefore is legal. We all know they are doing something wrong in the spirit of the rules, but while everyone is having a bitch about it, they are laughing their asses off (unless they lose both championships in the end).

strad

xpensive wrote:
=D> :lol: :lol: =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

marcush.
marcush.

c´mon ..we have picture evidence of:
Front wing excessive flex
Splitter excessive flex

and we got the rulebook:
3.15 Aerodynamic influence :
With the exception of the cover described in Article 6.5.2 (when used in the pit lane), the driver adjustable bodywork described in Article 3.18 and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance :
- must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
- must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom).
- must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground is prohibited under all circumstances.
No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the skid block in 3.13 above, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane.

so how can the endplates of the front wing for example can be legally almost touching the ground ....when the Splitter leading edge is giving a limit at what ever extreme rake ...that will simply make it impossible to get to zero .
Plus we SEE in videp evidence parts bending more than the allowance made in the regs.

SiLo

At the end of the day, is the wing lower than the mininum allowed height DURING a race? In all probability, it is, simply from looking at pictures this can be deduced. Thus the wing is illegal. The fact that they still aren't measuring the IN RACE height of these parts means that until they do, whatever RB are doing, they can carry on doing, safe in the knowledge that nobody can prove the wing is illegal.
Felipe Baby!

marcush.
marcush.

as long as Fia solely relies on their current testing methods and choose not to
review again these on grounds of picture evidence some cars featuring deflection outside allowed limits...Newey can sleep well....but of course they will have a wing available to conform to the spirit of the rules as well won´t they?

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss