2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

It's only Friday, whilst the cars abilities at this track might continue, there is every chance that when we run on the edge of what we are capable of, that the picture may look different.

The car is better in slow speed corners and still poor in corners with high braking on entry. This data suggests turn 1 is not a problem for is, and on just this it makes me suspicious of whether it is representative. But fingers crossed.

The cars all look a bit softer on suspension so they can attack the kerbs, whereas Spa and Monza you don't run particularly soft as it will slow down other sections of the track. Has this made a difference?
Last edited by mwillems on 28 Oct 2023, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

SilviuAgo wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 10:45
Harisudhan wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 02:38
As Lando always says, the soft tire masks a lot of weakness because of extra grip. But the during the race and on the harder tires, the slow speed issues are exposed.
Seems not...hard tyre maybe a problem but Medium stint was better than Red Bulls

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what- ... content=uk
We ran on fresh mediums, RB on old.

-Bandit

search

mwillems wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 10:47
SilviuAgo wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 10:45
Harisudhan wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 02:38
As Lando always says, the soft tire masks a lot of weakness because of extra grip. But the during the race and on the harder tires, the slow speed issues are exposed.
Seems not...hard tyre maybe a problem but Medium stint was better than Red Bulls

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what- ... content=uk
We ran on fresh mediums, RB on old.
three laps "old" only, but yeah, should still be a bit of an advantage.

With the risk of rain, it's also likely that some teams didn't fully fuel the car before the longrun. Norris' pit stop time wasn't as short as the Ferrari's, for example, but also not as long as Verstappen's or Alonso's, who indicated that they were running more fuel than others.

mwillems

Anyway, it's just FP2, let's hold back until we see the data from the sharp end. FP3 will be interesting.

Also, I think Maxs fast lap wasn't perfect.

-Bandit

mwillems

Another perspective. This map uses much bigger mini sectors than F1 tempo, I think this exaggerates our performance a little. For instance the loss on the straights were significantly bigger than any gains on the 1st corner vs Red Bull, let alone Ferrari and their straight line speed.

-Bandit

organic

Not saying fact but he's usually well connected. No doubt the car looks a lot better than I expected though

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Our pace was certainly flattered by a few factors, but if we can make all the right changes and get the car in a great window with the setup its definitely not unrealistic to be best of the rest behind Max, and not too far behind either. We'll get a better read in FP3 hopefully.

mwillems

Like I said before, I'm not sure how representative the data is in FP1 and 2 are at this point, but personally I'm confident in firming up my opinion to a conclusion that we certainly aren't slow here. Except for when the DRS is open :D

Ferrari are fast on the straights, but I think this gap will continue into the race and isn't related to them running higher engine modes. Will they struggle in the race? Let's see how the track rubbers in and what that means for the tyres, but it looks like a long day for Ferrari tomorrow, struggling to maintain a good race pace. Merc, I can't form an opinion, too hard to understand what they have up their sleeves, let's see if they can improve the setup today.

-Bandit

mwillems

I think somebody suggested some doom and gloom about us possibly being 4th fastest by the end of the season, even suggesting Aston Martin might catch us.

Never fear, Mclaren is here :wink: :lol:

-Bandit

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

PikeStance wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 05:48
taperoo2k wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 16:13
PikeStance wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 10:22
One thing for certain, Stella and Norris are two of the most pessimistic people on the planet. We are comparable to all rivals. The concern is for the "x factor" which are Max, Hamilton and Alonso. Outside, of that, I don't see anyone else getting more out of their car. If Perez can get his "mojo" back he can be an issue. However, even driving better he was still short.
It's prudent to be pessimistic, especially given the Honda debacle that saw wholesale changes at the team. McLaren are making steady progress towards being in contention for the championships. If Lando can wait for that to come to fruition is anyone's guess.
You are conflating cautiousness with pessimism. You are actually saying "cautious optimism."
What has happened in the past is the past. You have different "players." To think the worst is not prudent unless disappointment throws you into depression. If this is the case, then being a fan of a specific team may not be for you. A fair-weather fan route may be an option. :D

The above is tongue-in-cheek, snarky, smart-a$$ 8)
Cautious optimism is for when McLaren have a car capable of winning races in a straight fight with Red Bull, that maybe just maybe they can win the championships. I'm no fair weather fan, it's pained me seeing McLaren in the sorry state it was in before Zak Brown arrived.

geogate
geogate

things stay as they are, mclaren could win a championship without ever winning a race - not likely maybe - they would need to be head and shoulders the second fastest car, but RB are clearly worried about that for next year = and none of the options they have look great right now

CjC
CjC

Not the best FP3 after those last performance runs, track temps hurting Mclaren more than yesterday? Running lighter yesterday?
Just a fan's point of view

organic

CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 20:27
Not the best FP3 after those last performance runs, track temps hurting Mclaren more than yesterday? Running lighter yesterday?
Piastri could've been a couple of tenths off Max if he nailed the final sector

mwillems

Err, Albon is second on a Medium?

Piastri's time looks good, Norris is in the right ballpark, there's nothing scary about those times and we are one good lap away from top 3 or 4. But what on earth is Albon doing in second with Mediums??

I didn't get to watch the practise, I'm told pumpkin carving with the kids is more important than FP3.

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 20:46
Err, Albon is second on a Medium?

Piastri's time looks good, Norris is in the right ballpark, there's nothing scary about those times and we are one good lap away from top 3 or 4. But what on earth is Albon doing in second with Mediums??

I didn't get to watch the practise, I'm told pumpkin carving with the kids is more important than FP3.
Albon was on softs but Williams seem legitimately quick over 1 lap and even on race simulations are competitive. It's possible they're running lighter than everyone still - in silverstone for instance they were quick but everyone else stepped up more relative to FPs

Relative to Fp2 RB have turned back up their engines which could explain the deficit to them creeping up again