2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

Dragonfly wrote:
myurr wrote: Errrm, you try and correct other people, even asking them if they watched the race, and then make the basic error of it being Vettel exiting the pits. It was actually Webber exiting the pits as the team had allowed Vettel to pit first getting the undercut.
:oops:
My fault absolutely. Sorry for that.

But in essence my question remains. Why do people claim Webber was in saving mode when he did his personal best lap during that fight?
Because they start the race on full tanks, the cars always go quickest at the end...

Cam

sAx wrote:
Cam wrote:So it is an engine setting or code?
If that question is directed to me, then for my $0.02c its an instruction (explicit) to change the knurled wheel to a setting that controls multiple input parameters, chiefly amongst which is peak engine torque. The instruction to select a lower performance setting, guides the drivers to maintain positions as the lower conservation setting means that the racing is over (implicit). Wherever we place our money, the RB drivers, team principal, technical director and Seb's race engineer, all knew what it meant and it does not require a great leap of the imagination for us to understand similarly.
Autosport is saying it's a code - not a specific actual setting on the one knurled wheel.
Webber was leading the race after the final stops, the Mercedes threat receding as Hamilton desperately saved fuel, so team orders were imposed. 'Multi 21' both drivers were instructed, a code that essentially means turn everything down, cease racing, hold position, save the tyres.
And I think this makes more sense as I find it difficult to believe that one setting on one knurled wheel could override every other setting on the steering wheel. Here's an overview and you can see all the settgins that one would adjust - there's a few.
Button Function*

DIF Adjust the behaviour of the differential
N Puts gearbox into neutral
RADIO Push to talk to the team
X Sets a marker in the telemetry to indicate a problem is encountered.
DRINK Push to drink
DEFAULT Reset certain settings to their original values
TYRE Driver adjust this knob to tell the team about the tires and adjust electronics to suit different tires
KERS Select KERS settings
CLUTCH Select clutch adjustment
MIX Change engine's mixture settings
FW. EN Tells the team if there's a need to change front flaps angle
REV Allow more engine revs to pass another car
OIL Activates supplementary oil tank for engine
OK Driver acknowledge if radio does not work
FAIL Command all systems into a fail-safe mode just to get the car going again
PIT Activate speed limiter in the pit lane
TRO Change throttle pedal map

*The functions of the buttons and switches are estimates.
Also, as the ECU is a standard unit - the same settings would apply to all the other teams. Nico's video is good example where he shows many settings and discusses what some of the do. I think you would need to adjust a lot of these, not just one, to go into 'cruise' mode.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTGBr0jY40s[/youtube]
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Nando
Nando

Unless i´m blind Autosport does not even mention the "Mult" button.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Cam

Nando wrote:Unless i´m blind Autosport does not even mention the "Mult" button.
Apologies - that wheel and text is not from Autosport, is from here - and is the RB8: http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... tid=150593
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Diesel wrote:
Dragonfly wrote: But in essence my question remains. Why do people claim Webber was in saving mode when he did his personal best lap during that fight?
Because they start the race on full tanks, the cars always go quickest at the end...
While generally true I don't quite agree. If the engine and KERS are turned to preservation mode I think it will be impossible to improve your time compared to few laps before when in full power.
If I am not right then Vettel could overtake also in preservation mode benefiting only from the new set of mediums.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

CHT
CHT

Actually I do feel that this saga about Vettel and Webber is over blown and Webber is basically using this opportunity to act like the "victim" post race to stabilize Vettel position within the team.

The first question that comes to my mind after the race was, why didnt Webber ignore team order to regain back his position?
And why should Vettel give 7 points away to someone who wasnt there when he need just 3 points to win his championship.

At this early stage in the championship, I still think Vettel did the right thing to overtake Webber, but he was unlucky because Webber didnt response.

jamsbong
jamsbong

Here is a thought about fuel saving. Just remember, I am stating below are simply speculations of my own with bits of knowledge here and there.

The Mercs were on serious fuel saving mode. You can watch their onboard where LH would let go of the throttle very early, and use the brakes to slow down then finally downshift. Trying his best to reduce the number of Revs where possible.

Anyone has the full onboard on MW and SV during the overtakes? Look out for the 18000 RPM as clue on whether they are on fuel saving.

Phil

i guess because if passing under equal settings were that easy, Vettel would have passed Mark when he got on the radio the first time when radioing to his team talking about his teammate in a dismissive tone... i think it was clear that Webber wasnt going to pass back.

Also i wonder how much he thought how crucial it would be to follow team orders and preserve fuel and tyres. who knows? doesnt make it right what Vettel did.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Nando
Nando

I missed this from the broadcast. Close call.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykG06ixh92c[/youtube]

fritticaldi

Great research and footage Nando. :shock:

Multi-21
Multi-21

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Apologies for re-registering, I lost my username...

Multi-21 means nothing more than car with no. 2 stays ahead of car no.1. Period.

I re-saw the recording after the race where the german tv commentator interviewed Lauda and Horner together. They both laughed when he asked what Multi-21 meaned. They knew but wouldn't comment yet. After a commercial break he confirmed no. 2 stays ahead of no. 1. It is that simple.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

if the teams were able to block DRS to help enforce what appears to be their orders their real intent would be made clear ?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Anything they do will be clear, whether it's in code or not. And at this point, being honest with the public is the best way imo. Either way, we'll find out what they meant and how they achieved; strategy, code or direct orders.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Nando
Nando

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

So they have a code for something that is completely legal.
Makes no sense in the world.

I´d love to see the interview if you find it,

flynfrog

strad wrote:Do any of you pathetic fanboys realize how ridiculous these flailing attempts at protecting your chosen idol is?
How badly you ruin the forums all over the internet?
I don't care who you pull for,,,When you have to stretch truth and dream up crazy defences you not only lose all credibility but it also reflects on your heros.
Can't you guys accept that all idols have clay feet?
this should be posted at the top of every page in the last 10 pages of every race thread