Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB19

There is a metal skate on the 8nner most turning vane under the floor.
Suggesting the inner section of the floor is cominh to ground?
For Sure!!

scuderiabrandon

ringo wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 23:57
There is a metal skate on the 8nner most turning vane under the floor.
Suggesting the inner section of the floor is cominh to ground?
Potentially but I dont't think this is the case here. Additive manufacturing (3D printing) is used to create complex parts, with sharp edges, which otherwise couldn't be done with carbon, in a much shorter period of time.

This is why it is seen on wing tips, beam wings, front wing endplate joints where the wing elements join the endplate. Also on floor edge wings but in that case I could see it also being used for ground impact protection.

RB16 had 3d printed serated diffuser edge which were later converted to carbon fibre

atanatizante

A little bit obvious, isn`t it?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

1. Sidepode belly looks shrink to me compared to the floor edge, maybe due to radiators repositioning
2. Undercut has more curvature thus more airflow attachment?
3. That kink at the leading edge of the Venturi channels entry is new?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

scuderiabrandon

atanatizante wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 12:17
http://postimg.cc/f3523tKq

A little bit obvious, isn`t it?
The diagonal corner is an effect of having the leading edge of the SP inlet at the limit of the reg box. It is not something MB invented. In fact AMR22 launch-spec was the first car to have the diagonal corner due to full length sp inlet

Different length sp inlets, aka underbite was also something RB had on the RB18 at launch. The SF70H actually ran this back in 2017

LeveragedTiger

The more Red Bull develop their concept, the more I interpret it as the inverse of Mercedes’ original zero-pod concept.

The original zero-pod concept was about getting as much air-flow to the rear corners of the diffuser and floor as in theory, that would result in the greatest airflow through the floor thus maximizing overall downforce. The difficulty is that much unconditioned airflow over the top of the floor is far too unpredictable to consistently generate maximum downforce.

In contrast, it appears that Red Bull are maximizing as much airflow over the front of the floor as possible. As a non-aerodynamicist, my speculation is that the benefit of this approach is:

1) creating more downforce at the front of the floor, positively impacting the centre-of-pressure to create a more neutral balance
2) the undercut receiving far more clean air that can then be conditioned by the bodywork for more predictable behaviour at the rear of the car, thus improving the consistency of the floor downforce

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

LeveragedTiger wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 22:43
The more Red Bull develop their concept, the more I interpret it as the inverse of Mercedes’ original zero-pod concept.

The original zero-pod concept was about getting as much air-flow to the rear corners of the diffuser and floor as in theory, that would result in the greatest airflow through the floor thus maximizing overall downforce. The difficulty is that much unconditioned airflow over the top of the floor is far too unpredictable to consistently generate maximum downforce.

In contrast, it appears that Red Bull are maximizing as much airflow over the front of the floor as possible. As a non-aerodynamicist, my speculation is that the benefit of this approach is:

1) creating more downforce at the front of the floor, positively impacting the centre-of-pressure to create a more neutral balance
2) the undercut receiving far more clean air that can then be conditioned by the bodywork for more predictable behaviour at the rear of the car, thus improving the consistency of the floor downforce
I see it more as the opposite. If Red Bull wanted to get more to the front of the floor, they would have gone with a concept similar to Ferrari's from last year, creating a higher pressure zone at the front of the floor. The undercut is more to direct air to the rear floor edge and the the rear corner. You could see from the start of the season when they applied flow viz how clean the flow was to this region.

By contrast, I think that the Mercedes Zero-pod was more aimed directing air towards the front of the floor edge and getting clean air to the beam wing region.

ringo

The redbull side pod does 3 things. The zero pod was doing maybe 1 thing.
The redbull concept conditions air to the floor edge with the outwash, it reduces drag by interacting with the front wheel wake as we see with the bulges. This also sheilds this same wake from going to the diffuser. That stepped outwashing shape on top of the sidepod also does this by pushing air into the wake and this also modifies the flow to the rear wheels.
The top of the sidepod now does the classical pressure recovery to mitgate lift but also bring clean airflow to the diffuser and midwing.

The zero pod lacked mainly on the floor edge flow enhancement and protecting the downstream from the turbulence of the wake and provably even yaw effects.
For Sure!!

organic

Current (new as of Hungary):

The image doesn't do the complexity of the 3d shapes justice.

📸 f1tv

Old high cooling brake front duct outlet:

Ben31
Ben31

Revised coke/engine cover

Cs98
Cs98

Ben31 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 12:46
Revised coke/engine cover
Would need a comparison to see the difference.

lio007

This is from last weekend. Unfortunately not the same camera angle, but when you look at the wishbones you can see the new one is a little bit smaller.

Cs98
Cs98

lio007 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 13:11
This is from last weekend. Unfortunately not the same camera angle, but when you look at the wishbones you can see the new one is a little bit smaller.
Probably just different cooling options.

organic

Yes just lower drag config for spa/Monza/Vegas prob

Not the best angle or anything but best I can do

Much smaller gap between the panels where the upper wishbone inserts

Ben31
Ben31