Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mandrake
Mandrake

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Formula None wrote:Testing spec W02 has 4 exhaust outlets, 2 aimed at diffuser's upper surface, 2 aimed at starter slot:

[img]http://badgergp.com/images/gallery/barc ... s2.jpg[img]

Probably allows them two test two options by simply adjusting a valve rather than spending time on changeovers.
Great spotting

scarbs
scarbs

No thats the starter motor shaft, its not an exhaust. On the Merc its offset to the side slightly. McLaren had this offset starter up until a year ago.

Formula None
Formula None

scarbs wrote:On the Merc its offset to the side slightly. McLaren had this offset starter up until a year ago.
Ah, thanks. I assumed since it was off to the left side it was an exhaust pipe similar to the Virgin and Ferrari.

Edit: Bar555 even has an illustration of it:

https://formula1techandart.wordpress.co ... r-details/
Last edited by Formula None on 21 Feb 2011, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

luca
luca

Barcelona Test - Day Four

Michael Schumacher completed the four-day test at the Circuit de Catalunya for MERCEDES GP PETRONAS today.

Michael’s programme over the day included aerodynamic evaluations, further race weekend preparation work and set-up development, particularly focusing on longer runs. Michael also continued his familiarisation with the KERS system.

Michael completed 114 laps today, bringing the team’s total mileage for this test to 1988 kms.

Michael Schumacher: “We’ve had another busy day, focusing on set-up work and improving our understanding of the car. The reliability was good, which gave us a solid platform to work from, and we made progress in terms of finding set-up directions. On the performance side, this isn’t the package we will start the season with, so we are not drawing too many firm conclusions. Overall it has been a productive test for us in Barcelona as we continue our pre-season preparations.”

Ross Brawn: “We have had a good test in Barcelona this week and made significant progress with our testing programme. Michael and Nico have both completed race weekend simulations, which have been extremely valuable to develop our understanding of the behaviour of the car and tyres on different fuel loads, and to use KERS and the adjustable rear wing in realistic situations. The reliability of the MGP W02 has been encouraging at this test which now allows us to turn our focus to the performance developments we have to come.”

http://www.mercedes-gp.com

luca
luca

JohnsonsEvilTwin

"The reliability of the MGP W02 has been encouraging at this test which now allows us to turn our focus to the performance developments we have to come.”
No more hiding. The team have got what they came for in these last 3 tests, noe lets see what they can do performance wise.
There alot of experts with egg on their face if Mercedes do actually move a step forward after this test.
More could have been done.
David Purley

luca
luca

There were only 5 days between the end of Bahrain test and the beginning of the Bahrain GP weekend.
Now there are 14 days between the end of the final Barcelona test and the beginning of the Australian GP weekend.
If Brawn wants to hide something, they might not run it during the final test.
Before the Bahrain test and GP got cancelled, they probably would have run almost everything new during the final test, given the short amount of time separating the two events.

marcush.
marcush.

I think they just have to stick on what they have now Bahrain cancelled or not.It must be dead easy to duplicate if they cannot show it 10 days before a race?
Seriously teams have now put in so much time in evaluating their own developments they will unlikely jump ship now...

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: ...
The team have got what they came for in these last 3 tests, now lets see what they can do performance wise.
JET, you are truly the last of the mohicans, if MGP have not yet given anyone who still bothers ample evidence of precisely what that dog of a car can do performance-wise, then I don't know what it takes?

The idea that MGP would have another, yet to be tested in anger, car lurking in the background is outright hysterical!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Raptor22
Raptor22

Gary Anderson will only provide what has already been said. He knows no more than anyone on this forum. He and Autosport are merely using his name and experience as an F1 designer to sell news.
At the moment the sensationalism is the prospect of another poor year for Mercedes.

With the cancellation of Bahrain I guess we won't really see much of the completed W02 until Australia. Lets wait and see what the FIA does about the 4th test and if they add in an additional test to fill in the gap

zgred

mith

What is that strange color?

segedunum
segedunum

We can now see what they can do performance-wise? We won't see much of the completed W02 until Australia? Gary Anderson and Autosport are being sensationalist? :shock:

Autosport are not known to turn the headlines up on anyone in a sensationalist way, but sometimes you can only see what's in front of you. The lap times over the tests and over any distance are nothing short of exceptionally poor versus even Williams or Torro Rosso (no, you can't just compare with Massa at an arbitrary time) and the car is dropping to pieces in front of our eyes as zgred is nicely showing us. God knows what's under that bodywork.

We're not going to get egg on our faces. Really. We're not. What happens if we don't get egg on our faces at Australia (and we won't)? Do we wait for the 'big update' coming at Malaysia, or when we get back to Europe?

dren

This team has in the past brought updates worth over a second/lap before the first race of the season. Of course that was on an already pig of a car, so it didn't help matters much, but with this car I can see it putting it up there abouts. Closer than they were to the top last year but not fighting for the championship.
Honda!

warmasice
warmasice

Its the same old poor Honda team with a lack of direction.

I feel for Schumacher and his fans, time is wasting, and its another season that'll be gone with no chance of a win.

Ross Brawn isn't that great, he had a brilliant team around him at Ferrari - it wasn't a one man job.

I'm really annoyed, thought we'd see Mercedes challenge for regular podiums and possibly a win, considering how they've been shouting about how early they started development on this car.