2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I don’t think the management at McLaren really believed in the drivers title before Hungary, hence the noble engagement rules. Now they see what everyone else sees, so it makes sense.

But I really don’t understand all the intra team driver war among posters here. Piastri did what a racing driver does. He overtook in a perfectly legal way and was quicker in the race. It’s ALL down to McLaren to sort that out before hand, NOT on Piastri. I get the frustration on the team not maximizing the result, but that should be directed to the team management and noone else.

mwillems

We will have to review together with the drivers, with the videos," Stella said on Sunday evening. "Understand their point of view and then we will assess together whether they were fully compliant or not. We will take the learning, if there is any learning they need to take, and then we will apply the papaya rules such that they allow us to pursue in the best possible manner both the constructors' championship and the drivers' championship.

"We have to now be in the condition to acknowledge that not only the constructors' championship is possible but even from the driver's point of view, with the performance that we have in the car and some of the struggle we see with Red Bull, it is definitely possible."

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/41 ... se-comfort

These are the quotes I saw. Similar but not the same. Very much saying Lando is the one who might win the WDC if one were to do it, but not going much further.

Feels to me more like they might just try to prevent overly aggressive moves.

As I said before the race, I am surprised they had not instituted a rule that favours whomever gets to T1 first.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

And the most complete and sensible report.

https://formularapida.net/en/norris-pia ... on-review/

Zak and Lando both said it was hard but fair. The complete quotes from Lando are also there, saying that he may have been too cautious himself.

Stella saying they may review the Papaya rules in light of the WDC, which is not the same as institutions a number 1 driver, but toning down aggression.

Zak referred to having two number 1 drivers.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Oscar needs 13points a race on Max, it's pointless giving him any priority when in a close battle with Lando. Lando needs 7.75 and that's hard but potentially manageable.

I do think the move today, brought things to a head.

My query is, either Oscar didn't think about the potential consequences to the team or he didn't care. Both, aren't great looks, and likely wouldn't go down well in house.

Luscion
Luscion

dont usually agree with Buxton but some of his points i agree with here
Last edited by Luscion on 01 Sep 2024, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 22:35
Oscar needs 13points a race on Max, it's pointless giving him any priority when in a close battle with Lando. Lando needs 7.75 and that's hard but potentially manageable.

My query is, either Oscar didn't think about the potential consequences to the team or he didn't care. Both, aren't great looks, and likely wouldn't go down well in house.
No one suggested giving Oscar priority.

-Bandit

Slahinki
Slahinki

Luscion wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 22:37
dont usually agree with Buxton but some of his points i agree with here
Completely agree with Buxton here, a rare occurence. McLaren have done everything in their power since Hungary to piss away Norris' chance at the WDC. I'm afraid that by the time McLaren finally dares to admit to themselves that Lando has a shot at the championship it'll be too late. but at this rate McLaren doesn't even deserve the WDC.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 22:38
Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 22:35

No one suggested giving Oscar priority.
But he shoukd have been told don't overtake if behind on first lap. Just common sense.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Overall, Norris's race pace is better than Oscar. If he had run alone in the first place he would have easily win this race. Front-left tyre deg wouldn't have been a problem. Norris had to run in a dirty air which is far not optimal. Don't we have a rule whoever turn first in the first turn he has the right to win the place in normal situation?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I can understand Piastri going for the overtake. I still think it was too risky and cost us a 1-2. I hope they learn from it.

I can't understand pitting Piastri second time when in lead. Listening to Piastri talk after the race it sounds like he expected that the threat is Norris (already on two stop) and he protected against him, thinking Ferrari can't make it. If you look at it that way, Piastris decision makes sense even though it was a bad call for the McLaren as a group to make.

They need to start working as a group.

Btw not sure when was I as mad when McLaren finished 2-3.

chrisc90

Inverting the positions with Oscar at Hungary and Monza would have been a 9 point gain on Max for Lando - AND the team would have took home the same points.

303 vs 250 points gives it a 53 point gap with 8 races remaining + sprint races.

6.6 average per race in that circumstance vs 7.75 points average as it stands (excluding points for sprint races)

Ben1980
Ben1980

That Buxton clip is bang on. The team have got themselves in a mess. And really should have sorted this by now. But, today's it's come to a head.

stonehenge
stonehenge

I’m starting think Piastri is being foolish here: if you want to win a world championship, you need your teammate on your side and willing to sacrifice races for you to win. Piastri can’t win the championship this year, so there’s nothing to be gained long-term for him to demand equal treatment from the team. The smart thing would be for him to go to the team and say “hey, I’m out of this fight, let’s back Lando and do everything we can to make him champion.” It would set an important precedent in the team that Piastri will himself need and want(!) when he’s fighting for a championship himself. I understand not wanting to set the precedent that he’s second fiddle to Lando, but no one is thinking that. Piastri has been at times more convincing than Lando, and everyone expects him to be a challenging Norris again next year. But this is just very short sighted from everyone involved.

Ben1980
Ben1980

stonehenge wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 23:27
I’m starting think Piastri is being foolish here: if you want to win a world championship, you need your teammate on your side and willing to sacrifice races for you to win. Piastri can’t win the championship this year, so there’s nothing to be gained long-term for him to demand equal treatment from the team. The smart thing would be for him to go to the team and say “hey, I’m out of this fight, let’s back Lando and do everything we can to make him champion.” It would set an important precedent in the team that Piastri will himself need and want(!) when he’s fighting for a championship himself. I understand not wanting to set the precedent that he’s second fiddle to Lando, but no one is thinking that. Piastri has been at times more convincing than Lando, and everyone expects him to be a challenging Norris again next year. But this is just very short sighted from everyone involved.
He doesn't want to be teammates with a world champion. I think he's just thinking about himself.

There is a chance this could be it for Mclaren, and squabbling will risk it.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Piastri should stay until Leclerc. I guess he could do similar laptime to Leclerc :/