2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Either there isn’t one to take or enough money to buy one
Just a fan's point of view

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Emag wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 18:56
Why wouldn't they change the engine though? Am I missing something?

It makes no sense, it's a literal penalty bypass for potential gains in the upcoming weekends too.
Yes we are clearly missing something

Ben1980
Ben1980

Emag wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 18:56
Why wouldn't they change the engine though? Am I missing something?

It makes no sense, it's a literal penalty bypass for potential gains in the upcoming weekends too.
That's the point, we must be missing something, there must be a reason we don't know. They have a lot more information to make the decision.

PikeStance

Maybe the engine is in better shape than the people on this forum believe.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Mansell89
Mansell89

I wonder if there is any consideration Lando could bolt on two brand new softs on a two stopper today- Ricciardo made good use of the grip last year although we have to note we’re a step softer on compounds so perhaps the tyre won’t last?

Just looking at tyre allocations and wondering how he could cause some chaos and worry some of the good points positions.

Farnborough
Farnborough

PikeStance wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 18:23
mwillems wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 17:51
Tomsky wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 17:45

"We had uncertainty on the fuel system that we needed to check.

"Therefore we decided to call the car in, have some time to check and then be ready to go on the final run on Softs, which in any case would have been the decisive run.
"So we thought rather than taking the risk that the problem actually forces us not to do the run on Softs, we just wanted to take the prudent approach and pull the car in."
https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-revea ... qualifying
Thanks, team sound like they did the right thing.
Yeah, it sounds like we were a victim of unfortunate events.
Looks more like mistake on fuel fill volume, necessitated pulling it in to avoid getting stuck out on track.

Perhaps a miscalculated residual content plus additional total to run that lap at full pace.

Its one of tge reason they do the fuel runout to dry state early in development laps in calibrating their volumes etc to ensure accurate further running of that cars installed system.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

I'd love to see if Lando is losing any time now with that prehistoric engine. It must be holding on pretty well if they've chosen to not take a new one, or they are very tight w/ cost cap matters (which shouldn't be the case because what happens if it goes Plan E on us?). I suspect the initial plan was to cycle through his PUs (except the destroyed Bahrain one) through to the end of the year, but this quali seemed to give us the perfect opportunity to take the hit without losing much. Very strange, I hope they give us an explanation.

Stig14
Stig14

If I'm right, Lando is only near the limit for the ICE and has used fewer of the MGUH/K components than, for example, Oscar. I wonder whether that plays into their thoughts at all as it would only be the one PU item that results in a potential penalty in future races.

I'd far rather they just took a pitlane start and set the car up for the race with a new ICE though!

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 19:11
I'd love to see if Lando is losing any time now with that prehistoric engine. It must be holding on pretty well if they've chosen to not take a new one, or they are very tight w/ cost cap matters (which shouldn't be the case because what happens if it goes Plan E on us?). I suspect the initial plan was to cycle through his PUs (except the destroyed Bahrain one) through to the end of the year, but this quali seemed to give us the perfect opportunity to take the hit without losing much. Very strange, I hope they give us an explanation.
It's not one engine, they are cycling engines. They may just have 2 engines they've been using purely for race/qualy and one for practise.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 18:23
mwillems wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 17:51
Tomsky wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 17:45

"We had uncertainty on the fuel system that we needed to check.

"Therefore we decided to call the car in, have some time to check and then be ready to go on the final run on Softs, which in any case would have been the decisive run.
"So we thought rather than taking the risk that the problem actually forces us not to do the run on Softs, we just wanted to take the prudent approach and pull the car in."
https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-revea ... qualifying
Thanks, team sound like they did the right thing.
Yeah, it sounds like we were a victim of unfortunate events.
Yes but not unavoidable.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

search

Ricciardo and the Williams & Aston Martins did the whole season on three power units last year, when most non-Mercedes cars took five or six. So they seem to be fairly resistant - but yeah, from the outside, today looked like a good opportunity to add another one nonetheless.

Moving Chicane

Does anybody know if the team has decided to start from pit lane with a set-up geared towards the race? Like AM in Texas...
“This paper will no doubt be found interesting by those who take an interest in it.”
John Dalton

Wouter

=D>

This makes me cry. How adorable. He is such a big fan!

Last edited by Wouter on 29 Oct 2023, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Swed3121
Swed3121

Moving Chicane wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 19:58
Does anybody know if the team has decided to start from pit lane with a set-up geared towards the race? Like AM in Texas...
Probably not knowing how bad our stretch has been of late

CjC
CjC

Wouter wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 19:59
=D>

This makes me cry. How adorable. He is such a big fan!

Brings tears to my eyes too. I’ve seen a few videos now of Lando meeting fans and it just makes their day so much.
Bravo Lando
Just a fan's point of view