2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

That was a brake test. Max did not have any reason to brake there. All he had to do was go off throttle.
He is trying to be smart and use tactics, but he just doesn't have the experience to pull his dirty tactics off cleanly.
He has mastered cutting in front of other cars to push them off track and overtaking off track though.

For me the last set of races just highlights the gulf in experience and race craft between the two drivers. When you have to depend on dirty driving to win, it's an admission that the other driver is too much for you to manage with your own abilities.
Today the redbull had the faster car, and only lost out because of Q3, and being on the soft tyre the whole race. Also their driver made things unnecessarily complicated for them from Saturday. Max could have won this race if he just kept it clean and be patient.
For Sure!!

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:09
I'd be surprised if the stewards gave Verstappen a penalty for the turn 27 incident as the FIA, I'd say, the most to blame for that. Bad communication over the radio from everyone.
Max was trying to force him to pass before the drs line so he could pass him right back. Hamilton slowed so Max had to pass the line first, then Max stamped on the brakes to force it but by then he's right behind Max and it causes the collision.

But you can't just do a whole lap and then try to force giving the position back right before the drs line. YOu can do that as a normal defensive strategy but you're not supposed to give back the position in a place that gains you an immediate advantage like that.

I think they'll see on his data that right before the impact Max stamped on the brakes again to force the pass but did so dangerously. Frankly they wouldn't call them in without evidence of what happened so it's likely pretty easy to see. It seems from all video that he suddenly slows a lot more.

Mogster

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:52
That replay of Verstappen ‘defending’ at turn 1 that led to the penalty looks absolutely shocking when you watch it back. Zero attempt to make the corner or stay on the track.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is how wonderfully Ocon handled the restarts. Very mature. Kept out of the way and let them get on with it. Much respect to him.
I did say out loud at the second re-start that Ocon didn’t want anything to do with the pair of them :lol:

dans79

adrianjordan wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:39
dans79 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:22
I haven't seen the slow Mo yet but it almost looks like from Lewis's onboard that right before contact I can see Max's brake lights!
F1 cars don't have brake lights. They do have flashing red lights to warn that they're harvesting, which I believe Max's car would be doing if he was off throttle. Nothing to do with his brake pedal.
It wasn't on while he was slowing prior to contact! However I had a look at Lewis's onboard frame by frame, and it's inconclusive!
201 105 104 9 9 7

ringo

Marty_Y wrote:
The BBC did a vote for who is the best driver, the results speak for themselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/54911282

Who is the better driver?

Thank you for voting. Here are the current results.

Lewis Hamilton 85%
Lewis Hamilton
85%
Max Verstappen 15%
Max Verstappen
15%
You have reached the maximum number of votes allowed.
b ..b.. but.. evil British media!! :cry:
For Sure!!

siskue2005

As a die hard schumacher fan, I am happy that there is some one to topple him from dirty department. All the things schumacher did in his 20 years career Max managed to do 3 times more in one race. =D>

Everyone were disgusted about what happened... u can see the way Martin and Hill describing it.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

'Verstappen over the limit for sure'
Lewis Hamilton tells Sky Sports: "For me I had to keep my cool out there which was difficult to do. I've been racing for 28 years and come across a lot of different characters. There are a few of them that are over the limit, rules do not apply or they don't think of the rules.

"I was just trying to do my talking on the track. There were so many crazy curveballs then he [Verstappen] brake tested me to get the DRS and overtake me again into Turn One.

"He is over the limit for sure. I've avoided collisions on so many occasions with this guy and I don't mind doing that as you live to survive another day.

"I didn't get the information [that Verstappen was letting him through] so it was very confusing and was he trying to play some crazy tactic? Then he hit the brakes so hard and I nearly went up the back of him.

"For him, it does not matter if we both don't finish but for me we both need to finish. I'm personally chilled. I feel like I'm in the boxing ring and I'm ready to go."

El Scorchio

Mogster wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:57
El Scorchio wrote:
That replay of Verstappen ‘defending’ at turn 1 that led to the penalty looks absolutely shocking when you watch it back. Zero attempt to make the corner or stay on the track.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is how wonderfully Ocon handled the restarts. Very mature. Kept out of the way and let them get on with it. Much respect to him.
I did say out loud at the second re-start that Ocon didn’t want anything to do with the pair of them :lol:
Exactly! Angled his car away from Hamilton and just drove so maturely given the situation.

radosav
radosav

This video proves that Max left enough space and that it was Hamilton's mistake .

Last edited by radosav on 05 Dec 2021, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

I hate that we still are not sure of the absolute final result, just because dirty Max and his even worse team management cannot accept defeat. A low point in the history of the sport, this.

zeph
zeph

Felipe Massa agrees the way Verstappen slowed down was really strange, if you we’re really gonna let someone through you’d get off the racing line and make it clear. It seemed odd to me as well.

jknights
jknights

El Scorchio said.... "One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is how wonderfully Ocon handled the restarts. Very mature. Kept out of the way and let them get on with it. Much respect to him."
Have to agree.
Driver of the day. Winner of the day.
Big boys at the front need to remember that it is not just about them.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Mogster wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:57
El Scorchio wrote:

Yeah although ultimately he did effect it by being in Verstappen’s way for the fastest lap. :lol:

AMG.Tzan

tpe wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:35
JamesS wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:30
People questioning why Lewis didn't just go past Max when he slowed, come on, engage your brain (looking at you Paul Di Resta):

1) Max is known for moving under braking, going this way and the other way
2) Lewis may have been thinking there is a VSC or SC ahead - There had been several already
3) The drivers get penalised for not seeing a tiny flag whilst driving at 200 mph
Obviously he was afraid of something dirty is coming from Max, or a SC was deployed.
But I think worse case scenario would be to give his position back.
Anyway, for the incident I blame FIA, Mercedes, both MV & LH 2ith that order.
Other than that, Lewis knew that Max would pass him back at the last corner or down the straight using DRS, just like he did some laps later!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Big Tea

Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:24
The main problem is Michael Masi. He is incompetent, people lose the jobs every day for far less significant reasons.
Does the fact that BOTH sides think he is biased the other way not indicate he has it about right?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.