2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 15:33
In a way, it's good there is a clear weakness to work towards. Of course, it's a problem that has been haunting them for a while so I am not 100% confident they will be able to fix it, but it's nice to have a clear target of improvement which is guaranteed to bring significant laptime.

In the case of Ferrari for example, they actually have a really balanced package, it's just not on RedBull's level yet. But Ferrari also started the year with a relatively basic iteration so I am expecting them to have a lot of laptime to gain with their first major upgrade as well.

I am just hoping that McLaren might have slightly more margin for improvement if they manage to tackle that low-speed weakness.
If they were only half as bad to Ferrari in that last sector in Australia, that would have been enough for them to take the win.
The most important thing is that there are fewer and fewer weaknesses. Work to fix problems in slow corners is already underway and a major package is aimed specifically at this area. Stella mentioned downforce in slow corners, but I don't remember him talking about balance and handling in slow corners. If we can add downforce and improve the balance and handling even a little, the car will become much more efficient. This also means that the team will use the large rear wing less often without sacrificing top straight line speed. In racing mode, this is also important to have better defense.

I looked at Oscar and Lando's race onboard. There were a couple of small mistakes when entering corners. But these are isolated cases. Overall the balance was good and stable. In fast corners, stability was at a high level. Systematic work on the entire car, updating the entire aero package should have a positive effect. Let's not forget that the updates that will arrive at Miami-Imola were developed in a new wind tunnel. So I hope for a high correlation.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Rumours that Aston Martin are looking at Adrian Newey, made an offer during the Saudi GP. Obviously not sure if it's true or if there's a chance he could leave, but if you're McLaren and there is such an opportunity, you throw you hat in, right?

EDIT: Apparently, it's not a rumour, it's now being reported by Motorsport.com
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 17:43
Rumours that Aston Martin are looking at Adrian Newey, made an offer during the Saudi GP. Obviously not sure if it's true or if there's a chance he could leave, but if you're McLaren and there is such an opportunity, you throw you hat in, right?

If I were the head of McLaren, I would not hire Adrian Newey. He himself left the team at one time. Including because of disagreements with Ron Dennis. Why does the team need him? Red Bull has many engineers who influence the efficiency of the car. Newey alone solves nothing. Last year they said a lot about Dan Fallows, they say, look, Aston lured away Adrian’s right hand and now their car is now consistently fighting for podiums. So many rave reviews about him. Just some kind of star. And then what happened? The team went downhill. This year, Aston did not produce anything powerful, and Dan Fallows still works in the green team.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 17:50
Ground Effect wrote:

If I were the head of McLaren, I would not hire Adrian Newey. He himself left the team at one time. Including because of disagreements with Ron Dennis. Why does the team need him? Red Bull has many engineers who influence the efficiency of the car. Newey alone solves nothing. Last year they said a lot about Dan Fallows, they say, look, Aston lured away Adrian’s right hand and now their car is now consistently fighting for podiums. So many rave reviews about him. Just some kind of star. And then what happened? The team went downhill. This year, Aston did not produce anything powerful, and Dan Fallows still works in the green team.
Isn't it then possible that the so called Lieutenants aren't that great and it's been Newey's influence all along? That would make him a great asset in the same role he currently is in RB, CTO?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

I'd sign Newey in a flash. He will have so much knowledge. He'd be a perfect fit for CTO, working on the F1 project whilst taking on other design roles at automotive.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 15:33
In a way, it's good there is a clear weakness to work towards. Of course, it's a problem that has been haunting them for a while so I am not 100% confident they will be able to fix it, but it's nice to have a clear target of improvement which is guaranteed to bring significant laptime.

In the case of Ferrari for example, they actually have a really balanced package, it's just not on RedBull's level yet. But Ferrari also started the year with a relatively basic iteration so I am expecting them to have a lot of laptime to gain with their first major upgrade as well.

I am just hoping that McLaren might have slightly more margin for improvement if they manage to tackle that low-speed weakness.
If they were only half as bad to Ferrari in that last sector in Australia, that would have been enough for them to take the win.
It'll take a while for the front to get fully developed, you'd think. But the thing that brings me towards some positivity that they can finally do it, is that the issues are directly linked to the capabilities of the previous wind tunnel with Yaw and with wheel lock.

So I'm optimistic that the team are going to get on top of it with the new tooling. Optimism doesn't make points though and it seems with only have 2-3 GPs to wait to find out.

CjC
CjC

Who knows what will happen but there’s one thing for sure, Red Bull and Mercedes (who currently are in my opinion) will slide off their perch at the top when senior personnel either leave or retire.
Just a fan's point of view

Mansell89
Mansell89

LionsHeart wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Do not write off Dan Fallows- what he did at Aston last year was little short of miraculous and lest we forget he is also closely matched with Mercedes in the same wind tunnel and rear suspension- they will be a MASSIVE threat for 2026 designing using their state of the art facilities and wind tunnel around a works Honda.

They also have a very detailed upgrade plan for the season so they may yet finish stronger this time.

We’ve got a fascinating technical team too and I really like Sanchez paired with Prodromou.

Newey is astonishing and of course any team would want to sign him - I just doubt we’re on each others radar. He either goes Ferrari with Hamilton (which would explain Lewis’ move even more if he has been tipped off!) or he goes and leads Aston to some new history. Or he retires and does a Ross- going fishing!

If we can begin to claw back Red Bull, it looks beautifully set up for McLaren and Ferrari to share some great battles near the front, and that excites me as a fan.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Mansell89 wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 23:05
LionsHeart wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Do not write off Dan Fallows- what he did at Aston last year was little short of miraculous and lest we forget he is also closely matched with Mercedes in the same wind tunnel and rear suspension- they will be a MASSIVE threat for 2026 designing using their state of the art facilities and wind tunnel around a works Honda.

They also have a very detailed upgrade plan for the season so they may yet finish stronger this time.

We’ve got a fascinating technical team too and I really like Sanchez paired with Prodromou.

Newey is astonishing and of course any team would want to sign him - I just doubt we’re on each others radar. He either goes Ferrari with Hamilton (which would explain Lewis’ move even more if he has been tipped off!) or he goes and leads Aston to some new history. Or he retires and does a Ross- going fishing!

If we can begin to claw back Red Bull, it looks beautifully set up for McLaren and Ferrari to share some great battles near the front, and that excites me as a fan.
In general, I will never agree with you about Aston. Last year, on both English-language and Russian-language channels, I saw how Fallows was almost idolized. And now nothing has been heard about him, since Aston was lost in 5th place in strength. The rear suspension and gearbox only limit Aston now. The same thing happened last year. I dare to suggest that the transition to pushrods at Mercedes did not pass without a trace for both Mercedes itself and Aston. In 2026, Aston will have to design and manufacture its own suspension and gearbox. This is something that the Force India team has never done. So there may be problems.

Last year I didn’t say a single bad word about Aston. No one. Just watching the idolization of one man who joined the team as Newey's right-hand man. At the beginning of the year the car drove and then got lost. At the beginning of the year they were the second force. Why did I even raise this topic: you shouldn’t exaggerate the influence of one person on a team. This is nonsense. Even during the championship years of 2010-2013, Newey repeatedly said that not everything depends on me and that the team has very strong aerodynamics engineers.

Newey's strength is in finding a good basic structure. He clearly sees how the final car should turn out. Which concept for the future will be more advantageous in the long term. But he only draws on a drawing board (Kuhlmann). The rest should redraw this on the computer CAD. Next, check in the CFD, then 60% of the model in the wind tunnel, then again work on the drawing board, and so on in order until the work is sent to the production workshop. In a word, Newey only sets the direction of the work, but at the core of everything, Red Bull simply has a high class of aerodynamic engineers.

De Wet

mwillems wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 20:44
I'd sign Newey in a flash. He will have so much knowledge. He'd be a perfect fit for CTO, working on the F1 project whilst taking on other design roles at automotive.

Hell yes... :D :D

Darth-Piekus

After Ferrari we now got Aston Martin interested for Newey and I wonder what reason does Mclaren have for not approaching that god of aerodynamics.

Waz
Waz

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Mar 2024, 14:17
After Ferrari we now got Aston Martin interested for Newey and I wonder what reason does Mclaren have for not approaching that god of aerodynamics.
Deep pockets

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems

It's a rehash of Stella's comments from Bahrain, saying it could take "up to" a year to fix the issues.

De Wet

Paint That Nose :D [-o< [-o< :D