2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ben1980
Ben1980

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Waa Sanchez employed before Marshall?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

The most interesting thing is that Stella himself will temporarily occupy the role of performance director. I wonder if they will find someone within the team or will they look for someone on the side?

mwillems

It just looks like the role wasn't quite what he wanted. The quote I saw says Sanchez decided this after many conversations about roles and responsibilities. Perhaps he wanted to lead the design more than he would have be allowed
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Venturiation
Venturiation

mwillems wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 13:16
It just looks like the role wasn't quite what he wanted. The quote I saw says Sanchez decided this after many conversations about roles and responsibilities. Perhaps he wanted to lead the design more than he would have be allowed
Yes

De Wet

Neil Houldley takes over the reins from Marshall as technical director of engineering, while Peter Prodromou remains in place as technical director of aerodynamics.
Marshall's responsibilities seems less now...
Last edited by De Wet on 02 Apr 2024, 13:37, edited 3 times in total.

organic

Sanchez had his responsibilities reduced & Sanchez wasn't OK with it I guess
Last edited by organic on 02 Apr 2024, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

De Wet wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 13:29
Neil Houldley takes over the reins from Marshall as technical director of engineering, while Peter Prodromou remains in place as technical director of aerodynamics.
Marshall's responsibilities seems less as well...
Chief designer doesn't sound like a downwards step to me?

CjC
CjC

Out of all the roles I did wonder how the Sanchez one would work. How can you have a role of performance and concept without being the lead in Aero in such an aero dominated sport?

I wouldn’t be surprised if McLaren have pandered more to Marshall and took responsibility off Sanchez which obviously didn’t sit well with Sanchez.

Marshall now being classed as chief designer would suggest to me that he’s at the top of the tree and the other 3 roles report to him?

It was probably pitched to Sanchez that he would have 33% of a say but at best it’s only going to be 25% now and one of the other ‘says’ had previously worked at one of the best racing teams for the past 15+ years.
Just a fan's point of view

Balalu
Balalu

I know that I am alone in this, but I am kind of relieved. Was not convinced with his signing from day one. Look at Ferrari...
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Emag
Emag

Balalu wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 13:48
I know that I am alone in this, but I am kind of relieved. Was not convinced with his signing from day one. Look at Ferrari...
Just like you should not appoint one team's success to a single person, the same should be said about failures as well. It is true, Ferrari has had periods of struggle while he occupied a high-level role. But we can't forget that he was on that same role when the SF70H and F1-75 were conceived. Both of which were the first cars of their respective ruleset and were great performing cars with weaknesses which were not directly tied to their fundamental design.

The SF70H had a clear power deficit compared to the leading Mercedes of that year, and the F1-75 was crippled by an in-season regulation change.

My point here being, no matter what his role might have been in Ferrari's struggles, he would have definitely been a great asset to have for the new regulations in 2026.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So, what position would McLaren be looking to fill?

EDIT: I guess it would be Head of Performance, (TD). If the team is lucky, and Red Bull still end up loosing people, depending on his contract status, Ben Waterhouse is reportedly very highly rated.
Last edited by Ground Effect on 02 Apr 2024, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Balalu wrote:
:lol:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Venturiation wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:05
Balalu wrote:
:lol:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJeEsJ7asAA ... name=large
I'm not saying he's bad or anything, but he obviously didn't have anything to do with the 2024 car. He left early 2023.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 13:45
Out of all the roles I did wonder how the Sanchez one would work. How can you have a role of performance and concept without being the lead in Aero in such an aero dominated sport?

Marshall now being classed as chief designer would suggest to me that he’s at the top of the tree and the other 3 roles report to him?
The whole idea of a Technical Director for Concept and Performance seemed to be in collision with separate TDs for aero/engineering. How can you develop a concept and then another department is supposed to work on aero. They are now removing the "concept" part from that role and will focus on performance. It is possible that the whole "concept" thing was there to appease/get Sanchez a say in the development of the car but that they realized it will not work.

It does look like they are moving away from "3 head chefs" and more toward one main head (Chief Designer) with three Technical Directors. It seems logical to me - it looked quite strange before but I expected that Stella would be that main guy.

Now it looks like Stella will do more operational stuff and Marshall is our Newey. Sounds good to me. Now we need to get some wins.

f1rules
f1rules

Without knowing what happened, from the outside this looks like the logical move. They tried with 3, now they have two, where Marshall is purely concept, chassis and mechanical and Prodromou all aero. Sanchez was a bit of both, and was head of concept at ferrari. I see him as a more old fashioned top of pyramid type TD with responsability for all. And to put him level with marshall and prodromou with both their areas of expertise didnt really work. Whereas those two together seem very logical