2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScottR267
ScottR267

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

genarro wrote:
06 May 2024, 13:12
Do we have any information about the mastercard sponsorship? Considering that they won now the team has increased their stakes of geting the sponsorship.
I did read an announcement for the team at Monaco GP. Whether that’s a Mastercard sponsorship announcement or a one off livery as has been customary over recent years there however….will have to wait and see

mwillems

genarro wrote:
06 May 2024, 13:12
Do we have any information about the mastercard sponsorship? Considering that they won now the team has increased their stakes of geting the sponsorship.
No, but you'd have to say that this win and the upgrade were also a welcome commercial statement.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Great job and kudos to both Lando and the team. Since they got the structure right and also the wind-tunnel online they seem to be spot on with every upgrade package they introduce. Let's hope this competitiveness continues for the rest of the championship as well and suddenly we will have some good content to watch.

CjC
CjC

avantman wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:30
CjC wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:23
Yea Verstappen made a rare mistake because it’s rare that he’s put under pressure.
Oscar and the Ferraris put him under that pressure to cause the mistake.
Which pressure? he was 3 seconds in front. That mistake had nothing to do with the pressure. It wasn't even driving mistake. He had a little moment in super low speed, had to correct an over steer which would compromise his line into chicane. In no time he made a deliberate choice to cut the chicane deliberately in order to not lose any time, that's a trick officially allowed by the FIA in the modern rule book. You can cut the track three times without any penalties even if it gains you time. That's a track design issue, if there was a wall, grass or gravel, Max would not have gotten any damage there.

That was a decision making mistake, the decision was made when it was too late, whereas he could've easily stayed on track, just losing 0.5s at worst. That's it. Pressure? What pressure? Stop dreaming mate.
--- me dead. Some tossers on this forum now.

A 3 times world champion makes a mistake and I need to stop dreaming??
They all do it, Senna, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Verstappen to name a few, I’ve watched them all barring Senna make them.

Even Verstappen himself said that he wasn’t pulling away the usual amount meaning he was in a race for once and make a mistake. Simple.

I’d understand the hair up your ass if I said something along the lines of ‘first time he’s under pressure and he’s bottled it’ but I didn’t. He’s a class act is Max, one of the greats but he’s going to make mistakes and they usually come from pressure.

I see you are a red bull fan? Verstappen fan? From your most active topic on your profile- that’s fine but don’t come pissing and moaning in the Mclaren thread when Max didn’t win just be a man about it, mate.
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:17
mclaren111 wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:13
organic wrote:
05 May 2024, 21:17
Zak welcoming presidential candidate to the garage

Kim illman reports that Zak invited him.

Well Done Zak... 8) 8)
I would have preferred them to not have done this, especially since the guy is on trial and accused of some nasty things. But as long as there is no further involvement then screw it. I don't like it that McLaren was used to promote that PoS, but it is what it is.
The team didn’t invite him, the Trump campaign requested it… both presidents (FIA and F1) were present too

Tomsky
Tomsky

Mclaren upgrade by 4 tenths per lap, less than half on Piastri who had no bottom and new bellies. Very important parts that have allowed us to increase the efficiency of the MCL38. But Stella remains very cautious in the comparison with Red Bull

Darth-Piekus

So any other new part at Imola that we haven't brought here to increase our speed even further and battle the upgrades of Red Bull and Ferrari?

Darth-Piekus

avantman wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:30
CjC wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:23
Yea Verstappen made a rare mistake because it’s rare that he’s put under pressure.
Oscar and the Ferraris put him under that pressure to cause the mistake.
Which pressure? he was 3 seconds in front. That mistake had nothing to do with the pressure. It wasn't even driving mistake. He had a little moment in super low speed, had to correct an over steer which would compromise his line into chicane. In no time he made a deliberate choice to cut the chicane deliberately in order to not lose any time, that's a trick officially allowed by the FIA in the modern rule book. You can cut the track three times without any penalties even if it gains you time. That's a track design issue, if there was a wall, grass or gravel, Max would not have gotten any damage there.

That was a decision making mistake, the decision was made when it was too late, whereas he could've easily stayed on track, just losing 0.5s at worst. That's it. Pressure? What pressure? Stop dreaming mate.

Really? What about when he was chasing Lando and was under pressure from Charles Leclerc? Didn't you notice there his multiple mistakes in the first lap after the restart where he was left out of DRS? As my co-Mclaren member said above everyone makes mistakes. Max isn't that invinsible God that makes no mistakes and dominates everyone. He's human. After all so much time he was leading into the distance without any pressure only to discover how is it to drive with pressure.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 06 May 2024, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Sainz today got a 5 sec penalty for being predominantly to blame for the crash with piastri.

Darth-Piekus

Not sure if 5 seconds is enough for ending someone's race. On another note do you know of any other possible upgrade in Imola? We need all the help we can get to keep battling the upgraded Red Bull and Ferrari.

willmesquita

Just a pointless remark, considering our fastests Q3 laps 2023 x 2024, we gained 0,987s against Red Bull.

Japan with a 0,289s was the worst gain (as expected) and Miami, with 1,2s was the best gain.

Unfortunately we didn't had Ímola last year, but considering 2022 basis, we can fight there too!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:24
Not sure if 5 seconds is enough for ending someone's race. On another note do you know of any other possible upgrade in Imola? We need all the help we can get to keep battling the upgraded Red Bull and Ferrari.
Only the rest of Oscars car, I'd expect. Next major upgrade I would predict and hope will come before the summer break.

BMMR61

.....Returning to the sport....... The Horner comments about Max being hobbled by floor damage - well cry me a river, and don't let the facts get in the way of a good story Christian. Oscar had Max's lead pegged at about 3.5 for lap after lap and clearly it was pushing hard that resulted in him taking out the bollard. Lando was easily the quickest driver on the track, from when Perez pitted at which point he slashed more than a second off his lap times, until the finish. You got to think that Toto and Christian have got drunk on the tremendous success they have had and just come out with the most horrible stuff. Fred, by contrast was just lovely, full of graciousness including putting on a McLaren hat! On a day when the good guys got their rewards the self-entitled showed their colours.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Wrong reply
Last edited by mwillems on 06 May 2024, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:43
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Only the rest of Oscars car, I'd expect. Next major upgrade I would predict and hope will come before the summer break.
The rest of the upgrade will be the adaptation of all the data into the new form of the car, I'm confident they will be unlocking more without any new parts (other than on Oscar's car). It's remarkable how much they have taken out of this upgrade already given how little opportunity they have had, given the Sprint weekend format and associated parc ferme conditions. What we don't yet know is how did the unusual track surface and temperature conditions that confused everyone play into this incredible turnaround. As Will Joseph said, this track really won't be optimum for the car like others coming. I don't think we can assume race winning pace will just translate to the same (or better!) at Imola, but it would be nice if it were.