Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cplchanb
cplchanb

Re: Mercedes W15

ing. wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:42
ing. wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:44
The focus on the floor stays at the rear would seem to highlight the dependence of DF and bouncing on rear ride height and, critically, the floor sealing from proximity to the ground (including flexing) of the floor edge.

I expect that for the purpose of formulating a dynamic model, the teams use WD testing to determine aerodynamic derivatives to spike out the dependence of certain dynamic characteristics of the car on its aerodynamic behaviour. And I would think that they test the various deformed (flexed) floor edges to do this.
Is this what they reverted to on the floor, just the stays?

https://x.com/gamer13_joao/status/17707 ... 5rN71eTA2g
how critically do the stays affect the aero? if its as simple as this to reset the car to its old better form that would be funny and nice a the same time.

Stu

cplchanb wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 19:06
ing. wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:42
ing. wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 20:44
The focus on the floor stays at the rear would seem to highlight the dependence of DF and bouncing on rear ride height and, critically, the floor sealing from proximity to the ground (including flexing) of the floor edge.

I expect that for the purpose of formulating a dynamic model, the teams use WD testing to determine aerodynamic derivatives to spike out the dependence of certain dynamic characteristics of the car on its aerodynamic behaviour. And I would think that they test the various deformed (flexed) floor edges to do this.
Is this what they reverted to on the floor, just the stays?

https://x.com/gamer13_joao/status/17707 ... 5rN71eTA2g
how critically do the stays affect the aero? if its as simple as this to reset the car to its old better form that would be funny and nice a the same time.
If it is that simple it really points to them ‘playing’ with flex in the floor structure!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

gavingav1
gavingav1

The W15 in Australia

PlatinumZealot

I'm not mad at them anymore after I remember that they really are novices with the new floor concept. They will take a few more weeks or months before they get it working properly.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vanja #66

At this point I'm wondering if the vortex coming off the middle of the front wing was Mercedes again trying to be too clever and ended up causing some trouble downstream... After 3 years, they can't be completely unable to establish a well balanced baseline floor design.

Some detail photos

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Stu

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 12:13
At this point I'm wondering if the vortex coming off the middle of the front wing was Mercedes again trying to be too clever and ended up causing some trouble downstream...
I’ve been giving this some thought, as the wing flexes the vortex will be ‘switched’ on & off (or at the very least be seriously disrupted) at different speeds & yaw angles. Any benefit that it is having downstream will also be disrupted. Could the solution be as ‘simple’ as moving the flap adjustment to the inboard end of the assembly??
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Vanja #66

Stu wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:31
I’ve been giving this some thought, as the wing flexes the vortex will be ‘switched’ on & off (or at the very least be seriously disrupted) at different speeds & yaw angles. Any benefit that it is having downstream will also be disrupted. Could the solution be as ‘simple’ as moving the flap adjustment to the inboard end of the assembly??
Yeah, it will have different vorticity and strength at different flap angles. Moving adjustment mechanism inboard might improve that, but it could also weaken the vortex in the first place by causing some losses on top.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Stu

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 10:47
Stu wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:31
Yeah, it will have different vorticity and strength at different flap angles. Moving adjustment mechanism inboard might improve that, but it could also weaken the vortex in the first place by causing some losses on top.
It would give them the one thing the drivers are calling for though….

Consistency!!

JordanMugen

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 12:13
At this point I'm wondering if the vortex coming off the middle of the front wing was Mercedes again trying to be too clever and ended up causing some trouble downstream... After 3 years, they can't be completely unable to establish a well balanced baseline floor design.
In simple terms, the flow structures that exist in the CFD and wind tunnel and give great downforce numbers, don't exist all the time in the real world so that's where the downforce has gone missing on the real life car? :?:

Vanja #66

Stu wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 13:03
It would give them the one thing the drivers are calling for though….

Consistency!!
Possible :)

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 14:23
In simple terms, the flow structures that exist in the CFD and wind tunnel and give great downforce numbers, don't exist all the time in the real world so that's where the downforce has gone missing on the real life car? :?:
Well, I just threw an idea out there, it's strange to see them struggling so much with floor performance consistency so I'm looking at other things. I don't think this front wing flex would influence the vortex too much, but maybe it does. :) Or maybe they rely on it so much and put less emphasis on sidepod pressurisation to provide outwash and this combo maybe doesn't work as it should in high speed? Who knows...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

No pictures of the floor yet ? I bet it's straight like a ruler
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

El_KaPpa wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:47
No pictures of the floor yet ? I bet it's straight like a ruler
Best I've seen for now, we'll see more in a while.

Mtshali_Motorsport
Mtshali_Motorsport

There’s another one I feel gives a little more insight on the floor

Floor to me looks quite shallow in height

Luscion
Luscion

Mtshali_Motorsport wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 08:52
There’s another one I feel gives a little more insight on the floor

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/21003 ... IF04Go0i0=

Floor to me looks quite shallow in height

Brightened up a bit so you can see more detail in the floor

djones
djones

That will be a good picture for other teams.

How not to design a floor.