kimi raikkonen - an interview by f1racing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
onon
onon

kimi raikkonen - an interview by f1racing

AN INTERVIEW with kimi

how did it feel to win your first race as a ferrari driver?

when i signed for ferrari, i thought it would be nice to win as soon as possible. but it came in melbourne, which was even faster than i expected. i've never won the opening race of the season before, so it gave me a lot of satisfaction. we've started the season with our best foot forward: victory, pole position and fastest lap.

did you have any dramas in melbourne?

it may have looked like an easy race from the outside, but it wasn't easy at all. we had some minor problems, the biggest of which was the malfunctioning radio, caused by a plug defect. it began as soon as i got into the car on the grid, so i couldn't communicate with the pit wall throughout the race.

did the lack of communication slow you down?

i knew that my long-run pace was strong, so it was question of staying ahead at the first corner and then sticking to my strategy. had there been a safety car, the lack of a radio might have caused me a problem, but luckily there wasn't one.

was it an emotional thing to win for ferrari?

it was a very emotional moment when i crossed the line - to see the guys on the pit wall. but only 10 laps earlier i'd almost fallen asleep. i got distracted, my concentration dropped a bit and took turn 3 slightly too wide. even without the radi, i knew the team were saying "kimi, wake up!"

how good is this year's ferrari?

it's very good, but i'm still learning about the car and how to get the most from the new tyres. i made a big step forward at the final test of the winter in bahrain, since when i've felt more comfortable.

what do you think about the new-for-2007 bridgestone try formulations?

there completely different from the [michelin] tyres that i used at mclaren last year, and even from the [bridgestone] tyres that ferrari used last year. it took me a little while to get used to them, but i it's the same for every team and every driver, so it doesn't make any difference.

do you feel completely comfortable in the team?

i have a good group of people around me and i'm having a good time. with more time, i'll get to know the people around me better, but everything going well. i'm very happy.

are ferrari very different from mclaren?

yes, they are, and all the systems are different, too. but i don't want to compare the two teams here.

how do you get on with your team-mate, felipe massa?

we have a good relationship, but it's still early days. on the circuit we want to beat each other, but that's normal. i have more in common with felipe than i've had with any of my previous team-mates.

do you appreciate the history of ferrari?

i know that ferrari are a very famous team and they have a lot of history. but i don't have any favourite drivers from f1 history or anything like that.

what about non-ferrari drivers? you recently entered a ski-doo race under pseudonym of "james hunt".

that was just a bit of fun. i wanted to do the race and could have entered under any name. it was my idea to enter as james hunt - just a bit of fun.

how much have you spoken to michael schumacher over the winter?

i've seen him a few times and we've spoken a few times. i saw him before we started to test and during one test, but that was all for me, personally. michael has been a part of the team for a long time, he knows them very well and has a lot of experience, so for sure he can help us. for the team i think his involvement is a good thing.

who do you see as your main competitors this year?
mclaren looked very strong, and bmw are close, too. with the regulation changes that been made over the winter, i'm sure that it's going to be a very close season.

you moved to ferrari to win the world championship. how hard will it be this year?

every year is difficult. it doesn't matter which team you're with, and even if you have a good car it can be very difficult. i think we have a good package and as long as we get everything working well we should be able to fight for the title. and then we'll see what happens.

finally, there are two finns in f1 this year. do you rate heikki kovalainen?

i think he's quick, so it will be interesting to see how he does. he still needs some experience, but he's with a good team.

+5 FAST FACTS

do you believe in God? yes.

what was the last book you read? i can't remember. i only read racing magazines.

what's your favorite movie? scarface, with al pacino. brilliant

what's your favorite food? steak and pasta

what's on your ipod? finnish music.

some selected quotes by others: WILL KIMI SUCCEED AT FERRARI?

david coulthard: i'll be surprised if he doesn't out-score felipe massa, not because i don't rate felipe, but because i think kimi's quicker.

nick heidfield: ferrari have a very good car this year and kimi will do an excellent job for them.

alex wurz: kimi will do just fine at ferrari - better than fine.

beat zehnder: he's extremely fast, and that's all that matters.

F1 RACING: WHILE ALL HIS RIVALS WERE TAKING IT EASY IN MELBOURNE - GETTING USED TO THE TIME ZONE, DOING A BIT OF LIGHT TRAINING, PLAYING A BIT OF TENNIS, HAVE THE ODD MASSAGE - KIMI WAS IN NATIVE FINLAND, RACING SNOWMOBILES AGAINST 200 OF THE WORLD'S QUICKEST, MOST EXPERIENCED SNOWMOBILING GODS, WRESTLING 130BHP, 100 MPH MEGA SKI-DOOS OVER ICE YUMPS AND BUMPS, PITTING RAW NERVES AGAINST THE MOST UNFORGIVING SNOWSCAPES YOU CAN IMAGINE. AND HE WAS DOING SO UNDER THE DISGUISE OF THE ALIAS 'JAMES HUNT'.

DELIQUENT? YOU BET. UNCONTROLLABLE, MORE LIKE. OH... AND BY THE WAY, HE WON THE 500 MILE, TWO DAY EVENT. UNBELIEVABLE.

SOURCE: "F1 RACING' MAGAZINE MAY 2007

ketanpaul

thanks man, i'll get my copy now

onon
onon

i hope Kimi brings back his A game, looking at qualifications i am dissapointed. i have the feeling that thanks to techinical problems with felipe car during australia kimi managed to have the pole position in australia.