2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
aran.vtec
aran.vtec

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

wowgr8 wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 23:57
From 2020 to 2021 Ferrari had to find a load of Horsepower and they did, and yet the 2021 engine was VERY reliable, I don't remember a single failure not even in practice. They found a lot of HP from last year to this one and now the engine is suddenly totally unreliable, whats with that? Even weirder is that the ERS has reliability issues when it was perfectly fine in the second part of last year. It's so odd.
Build the best PU you can before the freeze, Turn the engine up past what you know it can handle then fix the reliability. I though most PU manufactures were going this route but looks like Honda and Merc went for reliability.

dialtone
dialtone

silver wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 06:12
Sevach wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 00:32
JPower wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 22:32

Agreed. RB, like last year, looks like they won't have to resort to taking extra PUs unless they experience a dramatic crash/failure. That's a big advantage.

Ferrari is in a very similar position to 2021 Mercedes except that they just experienced rapid degradation instead of catastrophic failure. :D
To challenge for the WC Ferrari needs to:
Stop blowing up.
Be the faster car very often.
And maybe Mercedes getting good enough to challenge Red Bull but not Ferrari.

It's a long shot.
Not sure if Mercedes can come into play as they are still a second off in races. Ferrari has to help themselves. They have two key weaknesses currently. One is reliability and the other is bad strategy team. Despite having high deg, Redbull pushed Ferrari away from their easy looking 1 stop to 2 stop and then VSC forced 3. Redbull does this well to take instant decision and play well, which neither Mercedes can do nor Ferrari. So I suspect on days when both are on par, Redbull would win the race purely by well timed and thought out gambling calls. Now that Sainz is quite far behind, they should prioritise Leclerc over Sainz and focus on bettering their strategy brains. Clearly, whoever is in that group, are pretty inefficient.
RedBull was on a 3 stopper whatever happened, not a 2 stopper, the VSC saved them to lose another 20 seconds, Ferrari raced as if RedBull wasn't there once they stopped at lap 13. Whatever RedBull did had no influence whatsoever on Ferrari strategy who instead ran their optimal strategy in the race. You can see that Ferrari never needed to play any games because they always stopped Charles and then a lap later Carlos, no need to try undercuts, overcuts and so on.

Ferrari strategy has lost points to Ferrari but reliability has lost an order of magnitude more points, the 2 aren't equal, they aren't even distant cousins. Reliability is 1 through 10 of Ferrari issues and strategy is 11th.

Andres125sx

JPower wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 16:49
Andres125sx wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 12:12

Repeating false info and nauseam will never make it true mate.

Sainz has always been a true team player, accepting TOs in every team he's been, even in STR at Max rookie season. Marko is just a moron who can't say a single sensible word

But when the team fails miserably on their strategy decision, he's smart enough to say it. Even Ferrari has repeated Sainz is a team player and in the only 2 occasions when he did not follow TOs, he was right and the team finally did agree with his decisions, as in both situations Ferrari scored more points thanks to Sainz
The correct takes.

Renault, McLaren, and Ferrari have left Sainz to make strategy calls repeatedly especially in inclement weather). Why? Because he's actually good at it. That's a skill he has. He'll probably do it again at some point this season.

For some people to act like its some affront to their sensibilities is hilarious but unsurprising. :lol:

No matter, Ferrari is happy with him and those who don't like it will have to deal with it for another two seasons.

I still think Ferrari has a top 2 pairing on the grid and hopefully the second half of this season will bare that out. Let's hope for the best. They are still in the fight.
Indeed.

Funny how some people try to know better than Ferrari, who has said repeatedly Sainz is a good team player and a good strategist, but there has always been armchair experts and that will never change

F1NAC

I wonder how will f175 behave in France. Last year that was the worst race for the team.

wowgr8
wowgr8

F1NAC wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 08:13
I wonder how will f175 behave in France. Last year that was the worst race for the team.
Front limited track, we've seen the car have issues with graining on the front tyres this year and that was the problem last year iirc. Also some high speed corners especially at the end of that second straight, porpoising may cause issues like at Copse. Seems like a damage limitation race on paper, Mercedes will definitely be strong there as well they're bringing upgrades afaik.

Timtim99
Timtim99

Last year's car is different from this year's cars, so far Ferrari has been competitive on all tracks. They should be leading by a mile if not because of team strategy and engine failures. So let wait and see.

ferkan
ferkan

Who knows what will happen in France, it should be front limited, but then so is Australia. You still need good rear traction there...I wonder if Sainz will perhaps run PU2 or not? Is Hungary after France? If yes, then probably its better to take engine penalty in France.

Or maybe they can go till after Summer break and get penalty with new spec (provided they have fix for it)

RTruth41
RTruth41

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 08:03
JPower wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 16:49
Andres125sx wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 12:12

Repeating false info and nauseam will never make it true mate.

Sainz has always been a true team player, accepting TOs in every team he's been, even in STR at Max rookie season. Marko is just a moron who can't say a single sensible word

But when the team fails miserably on their strategy decision, he's smart enough to say it. Even Ferrari has repeated Sainz is a team player and in the only 2 occasions when he did not follow TOs, he was right and the team finally did agree with his decisions, as in both situations Ferrari scored more points thanks to Sainz
The correct takes.

Renault, McLaren, and Ferrari have left Sainz to make strategy calls repeatedly especially in inclement weather). Why? Because he's actually good at it. That's a skill he has. He'll probably do it again at some point this season.

For some people to act like its some affront to their sensibilities is hilarious but unsurprising. :lol:

No matter, Ferrari is happy with him and those who don't like it will have to deal with it for another two seasons.

I still think Ferrari has a top 2 pairing on the grid and hopefully the second half of this season will bare that out. Let's hope for the best. They are still in the fight.
Indeed.

Funny how some people try to know better than Ferrari, who has said repeatedly Sainz is a good team player and a good strategist, but there has always been armchair experts and that will never change
Don't tell me ...you actually believe what these teams say in PR and interviews. Ferrari still claims they did the right strategy at Silverstone . Does anyone believe that ?

chrisc90

ferkan wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 12:31

Or maybe they can go till after Summer break and get penalty with new spec (provided they have fix for it)
I thought they had already brought a reliability upgrade for the engine a few races ago?

ringo

Sevach wrote:
JPower wrote:
Sevach wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 22:06

With this reliability it's gonna be tough.
Even in a weekend like this, where Ferrari was unequivocally quicker, Charles only took 5 points from Max.
Agreed. RB, like last year, looks like they won't have to resort to taking extra PUs unless they experience a dramatic crash/failure. That's a big advantage.

Ferrari is in a very similar position to 2021 Mercedes except that they just experienced rapid degradation instead of catastrophic failure. :D
Stop blowing up.

It's a long shot.
Merc is more likely to catch Ferrari than trouble Redbull. Ferrari will need those 1 2s to take points off Max for Charles to have a chance.
And checo isnt necessarily a weak driver. He has his bad days, but more often than not he will find the podium with the rocket RB18.
For Sure!!

LM10
LM10

ringo wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:23
Sevach wrote:
JPower wrote:

Stop blowing up.

It's a long shot.
Merc is more likely to catch Ferrari than trouble Redbull. Ferrari will need those 1 2s to take points off Max for Charles to have a chance.
And checo isnt necessarily a weak driver. He has his bad days, but more often than not he will find the podium with the rocket RB18.
Why does Ferrari need to finish 1-2 for Charles to catch Max? I would agree for WCC, but doesn’t make sense for Charles catching Max. Charles has decreased the points gap to Max in the last two races without a 1-2, even without winning in case of Silverstone.

Of course a 1-2 was on the cards in both races. In Spielberg it was the only deserving outcome, but didn’t happen. Ferrari’s biggest enemy for now is reliability/strategy/bad luck, not RBR. Though, I’m happy the strategy has been on point in Spielberg at least.

JPower
JPower

ringo wrote:

I don't agree provided the F1-75 becomes more reliable.

Laserguru

silver wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 06:12
Sevach wrote:
JPower wrote:

Stop blowing up.

It's a long shot.
Not sure if Mercedes can come into play as they are still a second off in races. Ferrari has to help themselves. They have two key weaknesses currently. One is reliability and the other is bad strategy team. Despite having high deg, Redbull pushed Ferrari away from their easy looking 1 stop to 2 stop and then VSC forced 3. Redbull does this well to take instant decision and play well, which neither Mercedes can do nor Ferrari. So I suspect on days when both are on par, Redbull would win the race purely by well timed and thought out gambling calls. Now that Sainz is quite far behind, they should prioritise Leclerc over Sainz and focus on bettering their strategy brains. Clearly, whoever is in that group, are pretty inefficient.
Ferrari seems truly to be at “thougth out gambling” whereas RBR is at “educated guess” which is “a guess that is made using judgment and a particular level of knowledge and is therefore more likely to be correct”… as for the engine they stated choosing power over reliability so I would say it is all about risk management. I cannot believe they are less knowledgeable.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

ringo

LM10 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:41
ringo wrote:
Sevach wrote:

Stop blowing up.

It's a long shot.
Why does Ferrari need to finish 1-2 for Charles to catch Max? I would agree for WCC, but doesn’t make sense for Charles catching Max. Charles has decreased the points gap to Max in the last two races without a 1-2, even without winning in case of Silverstone.

Of course a 1-2 was on the cards in both races. In Spielberg it was the only deserving outcome, but didn’t happen. Ferrari’s biggest enemy for now is reliability/strategy/bad luck, not RBR. Though, I’m happy the strategy has been on point in Spielberg at least.
Just some simple math. If Max is second to Charles, that is 7 points chipped away per race. If he is third to Charles, that is 10 points per race. Charles would need just 4 races to be leading. If Max finishes behind him each time, then that would require 6 races. It's tighter than you think as we have only 11 races left?
For Sure!!

dialtone
dialtone

Only now I realize that this Austrian weekend broke another myth on the Ferrari. After Canada the pundits and half this forum were talking about how the new rear wing from Ferrari was bad for traction because Leclerc couldn't pass Ocon, who had 23 laps younger tires.

So yeah... Someone should keep track of the "expert" opinions.