2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 02:00
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 01:26
djos wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 23:31

Daniels number one issue This year, has been mechanical reliability, when his car has been reliable/undamaged, he’s scored points.
I still feel he has issues with the tyres, I think it’s a sizeable issue. The tyre problem could also be down to lack of an adequate enough preseason. I dunno, just have this feeling.
I generally agree, missing the pre-season testing did hurt him, and it seemed to show in the last few laps of his stints in Austria. Although that could have been circuit specific, as he had good pace at the end of stints in Melbourne and Baku.

That may be why he did the tire test, the other day, instead of Lando.
After half a season of racing, the lack of testing time in pre-season shouldn’t be a factor anymore… Also, both drivers had testing duties at the Pirelli test in Austria.

mclaren111

Twitter:

Sim sessions. 💪 No let up for @DanielRicciardo.

runningmanz
runningmanz

mclaren111 wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 08:14
Twitter:

Sim sessions. 💪 No let up for @DanielRicciardo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXkI0uAXEAI ... name=small
Good to see, leaving no stone unturned to try and get in tune with this car and start pulling in some more good results like we know he is capable of. As they say the comeback is always greater than the setback.

Laserguru

basti313 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 10:58
the EDGE wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 10:11
aran.vtec wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 09:42
After the last 2 weeks of bashing Riccardo, What do you think will happen if they replace him? I cant see anyone being faster than Lando and at this rate I cant see Lando even wanting to be in the team when last did Mclaren build a good car 2012???

They left Merc went to honda as they said they needed to be a constructor to win in F1 (they weren't wrong so far) but didn't work
Went to Renault said they will be challenging for regular podiums , didn't work
Then did a full management/technical staff replacement and back to merc PU to be ready for the new regulations again that didn't work.

What's the next magic bullet promised to bring them to the front, the wind tunnel ?

Zak brown might be good financially for the Team but don't think he's doing the best as race results are concerned.
Well I doubt it’s a coincidence that the top 3 teams over the last decade were the 3 teams spending twice as much as McLaren, and those teams remain the top 3 this year

It’s not as if any other team has leapt from the midfield to the front either

Looking forward to seeing how the new ‘plank rules clarification’ effect RB & Ferrari from next race
You are right with the budgets. But please do not miss the point on works team or not works team. I have mentioned this in this forums a year ago and no one believed it...today....P1 to P4 is clearly works teams with McLaren as maybe the best non-works team. McLaren is not even leading Formula 1.5, this is today Alpine.
The works teams have the edge on cooling and chassis layout. McLaren was screwed by this again and I can not believe how people here still claim that being a customer in the Hybrid F1 is not killing any perspective of a championship.

Regarding the planks: If it affects in a way that is rumored with 0.5 sec on Ferrari and RedBull it is bad. Then we see Mercedes again way up in front alone. Boredom festival again. I do not see how it can in any way be a profit for Formula 1.5 as this is still to far away. So I hope it levels the three in front, but I see no hope for F1.5 to catch up.
Supposedly plank Ferrari and skidblocks RBR. Mercedes playing ignorant but usually opposite to what they say so maybe both. However these teams likely balance this out with other upgrades which will only increase the gap. Alpine will find a way to fail, however now their engines are Mecachrome they look better so who knows.

Many things achieved at Mclaren past years, we are so lucky they are still here, but along the way big mistakes as well. Missed the chance to be a semi-works team (we know why but still). Cannot believe the apparently single sided clauses in Danny Ric’s contract. Suppose he wants to beat Lando as much as he wanted to bring Renault to the front of the field but to me he is a better negotiator than driver. Why not copy RBR and put all those talented drivers in one pool without entitled to drive this or that if you underperform for whatever reason. Selling Woking (and more) and leasing it back is also not my favorite, so not so sure on the strategic and financial genious.

The bright side is that there still is a racing team with great engineers and talented young drivers, historical achievements and fans. Next engine regulations will likely bring in new engine manufacturers, if Honda “returns” even better for Mclaren. So plenty of hope for the future. I decided to be patient.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

Big Tea

Missed a chance? Or was it a lucky escape? Had they taken Mercedes on board , would they now still be Mclaren, or would they have become a Mercedes team?
Possibly more successful and a few more championships, but racing in a 9 team series without the team now waring the silver arrow.

I think it was for the best in 'the grand scheme of things' What a loss to F1 it would be without either Mclaren or Mercedes.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Radley
Radley

Any reports on Herta's lap times?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Radley wrote:Any reports on Herta's lap times?
They won’t release those… There is already an statement from the team saying that lap times are meaningless for his test day since conditions were very different to when the team run there last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mclaren111

_cerber1

Before the race weekend in Austria, the McLaren team supplied Lando Norris with a new, third in a row, power plant, which almost immediately failed. I had to return the old engine to the British.

McLaren hopes that it will be possible to restore the new engine, otherwise they will have to replace it with a fourth one, and this is a penalty with the loss of starting positions.

The team leader explained: “The new installation was the third in a row. Now its damage is being studied by Mercedes engineers, and I hope that it will be possible to restore it.

Lando performed on an old PU, which is no good. Every kilometer traveled reduces power. But even with the old engine, he achieved good results in Austria.”

Emag
Emag

The more I look into things like these, the more mad I get that Daniel is performing the way he is.

It just doesn't make sense. The guy was a rockstar when he was at RedBull, and he made Ocon look like a low class driver on their time together at Renault.

He joins McLaren and he gets completely beaten by Lando on a short track like Austria while having a power advantage over him.

Please Daniel, for the love of god, get back to performing the way you used to.

mwillems

He just can't get on with our car! I'd love to see Sainz back in the Mclaren just to see how he's push Lando. Or Alonso knowing that he can drive pretty much anything.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Big Tea

Emag wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 10:47
The more I look into things like these, the more mad I get that Daniel is performing the way he is.

It just doesn't make sense. The guy was a rockstar when he was at RedBull, and he made Ocon look like a low class driver on their time together at Renault.

He joins McLaren and he gets completely beaten by Lando on a short track like Austria while having a power advantage over him.

Some drivers just do not get on with some types of car, that's just the way it is. Like when Dan went to Red Bull, he was happier than Seb.

He will either have to wait for the car to come to him, or go elsewhere. I think if he was going to adapt, he would have by now, so its find him a setup he likes, or wait for his contract.
He does not suddenly become a poor driver over the winter, so it is not a case of him not trying.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JPower
JPower

Emag wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 10:47

It makes perfect sense.

Here's the radio of Austria(click watch on Youtube).

He complains about the front end all race. He hasn't figured out how to drive around it.

Lucky
Lucky

The construction sites are the familiar ones. McLaren has tackled her, but can't get her out of the way overnight. No investment had been made in the Woking team location for more than ten years. It takes time to build a new high-tech simulator and wind tunnel, like Mercedes and Ferrari have. The simulator should be the first to go online this year. The wind tunnel is planned for the end of 2022.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... latz-vier/

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 15:53
The construction sites are the familiar ones. McLaren has tackled her, but can't get her out of the way overnight. No investment had been made in the Woking team location for more than ten years. It takes time to build a new high-tech simulator and wind tunnel, like Mercedes and Ferrari have. The simulator should be the first to go online this year. The wind tunnel is planned for the end of 2022.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... latz-vier/
I suspect that whilst the teams will have similar tech for their simulators and similar code, they will all have developed their own CFD based algorithms that the code would use to create the racing and environmental feedback that you might call crude CFD.

Is there a limit on processing power for a simulator and at what point can it start to be considered an extension of CFD? Is there a consideration for that in the rules?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.