2023 Canadian Grand Prix - Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve - June 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Postmoe

Re: 2023 Canadian Grand Prix - Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve - June 16 - 18

organic wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 00:39
vanburin wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 00:35
codetower wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:51
Nobody is catching Max/RB. It’s funny how in the blink of an eye, he can pull away from anyone. Without breaking a sweat he pulls away from anyone’s DRS, and when they tell him ALO and HAM are pushing, he tacks another 2 seconds of distance between them.

Don’t be fooled, that RB in Max’s hands is not running at full potential.
The radio call during this point to Max was very telling: "the others behind you are pushing much more than you are", all while Max at worst was maintaining the gap to Alonso, if not slightly extending it.

That RB/Max connection has loads more pace. Then there's Checo who was lapping at nearly half a second a lap slower than Max, all while Max is managing his pace up front. At this point worrying about Perez's confidence level is a futile effort, he's lost it completely. His only saving grace right now is the substantial lead RB has in the Constructors Championship.
It would be difficult for RB to find a driver whose confidence would not be destroyed by driving alongside Max. They tried bringing up young talents and allowing them to learn alongside him. They've tried experienced veteran like Perez. What next
I don't think RB has ever wanted to match its #1 pilot with a serious contender, especially when their #1 is aligned with their marketing needs (young, generational breakthrough sensation). When it has happened it didn't seem they had done it on purpose.

There is no what's next, this is the setup that most suits them.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 11:17
One thing the race on Sunday put to bed is the idea that the "old" drivers are past it. Fernando and Lewis were on a different level to everyone else behind them - wringing the car for all its worth. Even Russell binned it trying to keep up with those two.

Well done to the oldies! =D>
I’ve said this before, but Alo at 41 has lost nothing, so Lewis too still has many years. I get that drivers retire, but I wonder at what point they really are too old. It used to be they drove to much higher age in times gone by.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 12:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
One thing the race on Sunday put to bed is the idea that the "old" drivers are past it. Fernando and Lewis were on a different level to everyone else behind them - wringing the car for all its worth. Even Russell binned it trying to keep up with those two.

I’ve said this before, but Alo at 41 has lost nothing, so Lewis too still has many years. I get that drivers retire, but I wonder at what point they really are too old. It used to be they drove to much higher age in times gone by.
Back in the 1950s, several drivers were in their 50s and Fagioli won at the age of 53. That could have been because there were fewer young men following WW2, but it could be any number of factors. Of course, back then the cars required different skills/physical strength to drive - certainly the drivers were often "chunky" chaps back then - modern drivers are like jockeys: v. strong but wiry.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313
basti313

search wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:28
that's exactly why he would make sense, I think. Expectations would be fairly low, and he'd be happy for the opportunity.

There's no one available who can challenge Verstappen anyway, and he scores enough points to secure the constructor's championship even without a team mate.
Ah you mean going next to Verstappen...I thought of generally into F1.
Well, I do not see where the issue is to go into the RedBull or where the issue should be for RedBull to find a driver. I would say that 50% of the current and past (Schu) F1 drivers would immediately say yes to a RedBull offer no matter what the current contract says.
As mentioned, I do not see how Max is the issue, Perez broke himself.
And just driving next to Max without ambitions...Albon, Gasly, Schu, Hulk, Bot....

Sieper wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:39
By the way, that tank slapper by Russell, that the car was still OK, how?! It looked like a massive hit.
The slam on the read axle was massive, I still can not believe that a car can survive this...
Isn't it that the Merc is now a tank for years? When did we see a major damage on the Merc when clinching wheels with some other car? I think they used the dominant years for such fun parts like indestructible struts.
But maybe this is also a part of the problems now...weight...
Postmoe wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 11:23
I don't think RB has ever wanted to match its #1 pilot with a serious contender, especially when their #1 is aligned with their marketing needs (young, generational breakthrough sensation). When it has happened it didn't seem they had done it on purpose.

Well....they learned it the hard way. 2010 was only tense until the end because Webber refused to be a Nr.2 and they nearly lost also 2012 on this. They would have also lost 2021 without Perez being a good Nr.2. Even in 2009 they would have had a minimal chance for the WDC with Webber being a clear and a chance for WCC with Webber being a decent Nr.2.
So I think there is good reason the have a Nr2. The only teams that could afford not having a clear Nr.2 were McLaren in the past and Merc...and McLaren threw away one WDC as well by not having a Nr.2.

So I think this is totally normal and every team seriously working on the WDC in the future will have a Nr.2.
Don`t russel the hamster!

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Sieper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Different cars back in the 1950's and early 1960's, needed a different kind of physicality. I guess with today's F1 cars age only really comes into it in the form of reaction times being too slow for F1 and the wear and tear of racing catches up with a driver. I sort of expect Alonso to maybe stick around for the new regulations in '26. The other factor is the desire to continue.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Postmoe wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 11:23
organic wrote:
vanburin wrote:

The radio call during this point to Max was very telling: "the others behind you are pushing much more than you are", all while Max at worst was maintaining the gap to Alonso, if not slightly extending it.

That RB/Max connection has loads more pace. Then there's Checo who was lapping at nearly half a second a lap slower than Max, all while Max is managing his pace up front. At this point worrying about Perez's confidence level is a futile effort, he's lost it completely. His only saving grace right now is the substantial lead RB has in the Constructors Championship.
It would be difficult for RB to find a driver whose confidence would not be destroyed by driving alongside Max. They tried bringing up young talents and allowing them to learn alongside him. They've tried experienced veteran like Perez. What next

It suits the marketing, it might not suit F1 from a driver standpoint. What comes next for RedBull? Looking for the young drivers who could be world champions one day. It doesn't look like Max will stay in F1 forever, seeing as he wants to win in other categories of motorsports.

codetower

organic wrote:
vanburin wrote:
codetower wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 22:51
Nobody is catching Max/RB. It’s funny how in the blink of an eye, he can pull away from anyone. Without breaking a sweat he pulls away from anyone’s DRS, and when they tell him ALO and HAM are pushing, he tacks another 2 seconds of distance between them.

Don’t be fooled, that RB in Max’s hands is not running at full potential.

In my opinion, there are only 3 drivers on the grid that would be able to challenge Max; Leclerc, Alonzo or Hamilton. RB would never sign Hamilton unless they want to lose max, and the other two, I don't think it'd be wise to sign either. They have a #1, they don't need a 1b. They just need a reliable wingman that can handle the car and keep up with Max, like Hamilton had with Bottas.

I think if rumors end up to be true, Norris would fit that role perfectly. He's fast, talented and could keep close to Max, but I'm not sure people would expect him to beat him.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

codetower wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 14:29
organic wrote:
vanburin wrote:

In my opinion, there are only 3 drivers on the grid that would be able to challenge Max; Leclerc, Alonzo or Hamilton. RB would never sign Hamilton unless they want to lose max, and the other two, I don't think it'd be wise to sign either. They have a #1, they don't need a 1b. They just need a reliable wingman that can handle the car and keep up with Max, like Hamilton had with Bottas.

I think if rumors end up to be true, Norris would fit that role perfectly. He's fast, talented and could keep close to Max, but I'm not sure people would expect him to beat him.
The bigger issue would be paying over 100 million in driver wages to have another WDC in the team, while presenting no clear upside and plenty of downside. Hamilton is not cheap, Neither is Alonso. Leclerc, maybe but they would have to buy out his Ferrari contract. The same goes for Norris. Norris already turned down RB so I feel you are barking up the wrong tree there.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 19 Jun 2023, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

organic

As the gaps between cars come down under these more prescriptive rules the importance of both of your drivers being solid goes up. Soon we can expect no better than 5th from Perez even when he has an uncompromised quali; with roughly equal car to Merc/AMR we can assume alo/rus/ham/max will be ahead of him, and even Ferrari are now joining the mix

AMG.Tzan

Alex_Z wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 19:25
AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 18:13
Can Max please step aside and give us a Fernando vs Lewis duel for the win like it’s 2007 all over again? 😂😂

Curious to see if the Mercedes will be able to overcome the Aston Martin like in Spain! This will give us a clearer picture at both teams’ upgrades and their respective gains in performance!

Max of course will be gone by turn 1! Checo, Sainz and Charles though will be exciting to watch since this track promotes overtaking as seen over the years!
There was no duel in 2007 Montreal, just a rookie wiping the floor with the rest of the field and especially his teammate :wink:
Oh yeah I meant the whole 2007 season…not just Montreal

:lol: :lol: I agree with your statement though :lol: :lol:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Sieper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

In fact, I'd say that yesterday's race result gave us the current order of drivers in terms of speed and consistency regardless of their current car. Maybe you'd have to add Russell and Norris and you'd have it. Those and in that order.

ispano6

dr_cooke wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:35
Sieper wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

In fact, I'd say that yesterday's race result gave us the current order of drivers in terms of speed and consistency regardless of their current car. Maybe you'd have to add Russell and Norris and you'd have it. Those and in that order.
Not really, a wet quali with opportune track and tyre conditions as well as grid penalties up and down the field made for a mixed field and DRS train that ultimately set the finishing order. I think Monaco was a better measure of driver wits and craft.

Edit: take with a grain of salt since most qualies have had changing conditions. leclerc and Perez seem to really lose pace when they don't have confidence in the car.

ispano6

I wish Alex gets a chance to be back in the Red bull team. I think he would be a good number 2 to Max.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:59
I wish Alex gets a chance to be back in the Red bull team. I think he would be a good number 2 to Max.
Why would he want to go to Red Bull again and play very-second fiddle to Max when he can be elsewhere and perhaps lead a team?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

codetower

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 16:05
ispano6 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:59
Why would he want to go to Red Bull again and play very-second fiddle to Max when he can be elsewhere and perhaps lead a team?
That depends on the driver. Would you rather be the lead guy of a midfield team, or have some podiums and a race win here and there?