Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Callum

Re: Red Bull RB5

Could the aggressive angle of their prop-shafts be the reason for the failure of their CV joints??

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

wouldn't be surprised at all...they ran by far the most amount of upward sweep right now, a sign of how agressive Newey tried to lower the rear Cg height(along with pull rod and whatnot), and again outlining why they have had difficulty packaging a DDD....

outer_bongolia

Callum wrote:Image

Could the aggressive angle of their prop-shafts be the reason for the failure of their CV joints??
Another interesting thing I notice is a cooling hole down the middle, similar to Ferrari's. Is this the first time RB5 uses it?
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

djos

It's not new, it's been there from the beginning - they can open and close it when needed.
"In downforce we trust"

Dmitry_black
Dmitry_black

modbaraban wrote:Is it on both sides? They're expliting the same loophole as BMW.Sauber who managed to squeeze some shark grills into that area.
Yes, this elements are symmetrical. But it's interesting, this is the special Monaco upgrade or consequences of the double diffuser?

Metar

I recall Monaco Specials of past years always included more gills - I recall reading the lower speeds make cooling more difficult.

timbo
timbo

Metar wrote:I recall Monaco Specials of past years always included more gills - I recall reading the lower speeds make cooling more difficult.
Yes, as air flow is quite low compared to other circuits.

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

from Loudhoward at markwebberforum.com via djos at SN

anyone got some interesting analysis.

Shi Ruan
Shi Ruan

SoliRossi wrote: [img]
Well, it would appear Newey's gone with a fairly revolutionary "f*cked up left wheel" style rear end. I'd love to see if any of the other teams adopt this.

Also, is it just me or is that a lot of wear on the skidboard? maybe from the crash?
^----Raving Lunatic----^

timbo
timbo

Shi Ruan wrote:I'd love to see if any of the other teams adopt this.
They do

djos

SoliRossi wrote:from Loudhoward at markwebberforum.com via djos at SN

Actually I borrowed it from the diffuser topic here at f1tech for my post at SN. :D
"In downforce we trust"

jon-mullen

Seems Red Bull is in a row with a different kind of scrutineer. This would explain why they've been so fast!
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

ringo

Yep, no wonder why they didn't need diffusers to get high up in the points. :lol:
For Sure!!

Gecko
Gecko

Thanks for that picture, very interesting!

What surprises me is that just in front of the opening there is a hole in the step plane. Now, bodywork should not be visible through the holes of step plane when viewed from below, so therefore there is nothing above that hole (which would be weird), but most likely the hole is covered by a suspension element (which is not considered part of bodywork).

mep

Red Bull has a quite big angle in there driveshaft’s.
The other teams have them almost flat to the ground.
I guess they will lose a significant amount of power there.
This is definitely a compromise for aero and low centre of gravity.