BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: BrawnGP

Richard Branson always pushes the envelope. He is an incredibly astute and capable businessman. So having a car both beautiful and edgy seems to fit into the Virgin image. And I consider the current color scheme as good marketing. As mentioned, the car does look very attractive. With the possible exception of the glaring wheel rims, which make up the "edgy" part. This kind of thing is the complete opposite of the Renault and Force India. Both of these teams have cars that posess a lot of different colors. Very busy paint scheme, and without a coherent plan. The eye gets drawn everywhere, and whenever it settles, it's confusing to the eye. But the Brawn is at present, posessed by a beautiful simplicity. But with a dash of spice provided by the wheels.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Duda Soares
Duda Soares

ESPImperium wrote:Im gonna say something totally left-field here, but look at Rubhinos on-board camera when he set his P2 time in the last 2 mins of Quali 3. Look at his right thum hit a button and at the same time the engine revs leap in the audio, and about a second or two later his engine revs die again... Im gonna say theres a KERS system on that car, or both Brawn cars!!!
Could be only a different engine map ?

xpensive
xpensive

But why is Richard Branson's hair the same color as the stripes on the Brawn car, or is it the other way around?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

roost89
roost89

xpensive wrote:But why is Richard Branson's hair the same color as the stripes on the Brawn car, or is it the other way around?
I'm guessing a mix of stress and attempts to dye it. It is quite curious though.

I have a question. Why is there a sentiment going around that Honda are (or should be) kicking themselves because of Brawn GP's success? Is it because they (Honda) don't have their name on the car?
I'd be inclined to think that Honda would be rather proud of their creation, after all they did pump alot of time, money and effort into it. They're also still funding Brawn GP to some extent, this year. So them designing and building the very fast and it would appear sturdy Brawn surely surpasses any "damn it" feeling they may have for not having their name on the car.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

ISLAMATRON

roost89 wrote:I'd be inclined to think that Honda would be rather proud of their creation, after all they did pump alot of time, money and effort into it. They're also still funding Brawn GP to some extent, this year. So them designing and building the very fast and it would appear sturdy Brawn surely surpasses any "damn it" feeling they may have for not having their name on the car.

And yet have very little to show for it! Dumb asses, they should have waited to see how the car was before giving it to someone else.

xpensive
xpensive

In this business you never really know for sure do you, who says Brawn F1 wasn't just a creation to test the waters with a car built around a controversial diffuser and to find out just how bad the Honda engine was?

Naah, on second thought that one was perhaps not the most plausible of conspiracy-theories... :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ISLAMATRON

xpensive wrote:In this business you never really know for sure do you, who says Brawn F1 wasn't just a creation to test the waters with a car built around a controversial diffuser and to find out just how bad the Honda engine was?

Naah, on second thought that one was perhaps not the most plausible of conspiracy-theories... :lol:
Honda was given the same special dispensation to improve their engine as renault was, plus the RPM limit was knocked down another 1000 revs so that would have brought all the engines closer together too.

It was a stupid knee jerk reaction by the people upstairs. I can actually see Brawn turning a profit this year.

show
show

I don't believe Honda are at a complete loss.
Their reasons for pulling out were more to do with the PR of conserving money and not suffering job losses elsewhere in their company than not having faith in their car.

I've heard Honda's name be mentioned in praise several times by the tv press this weekend. They did well to highlight the fact that Honda funded this car and are funding these first races. Yes they miss out on some high profile advertising but I don't really think their general public image matched that of the f1 demographic anyway. Their sports cars are known well by the people that would be interested in them without any advertising.

freedom_honda

Duda Soares wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Im gonna say something totally left-field here, but look at Rubhinos on-board camera when he set his P2 time in the last 2 mins of Quali 3. Look at his right thum hit a button and at the same time the engine revs leap in the audio, and about a second or two later his engine revs die again... Im gonna say theres a KERS system on that car, or both Brawn cars!!!
Could be only a different engine map ?
I think it was just a audio glitch because it has been happening all weekend with other cars as well.

Michiba
Michiba

How much of the pace of the BGP cars be attributed to the diffusers alone? I get the feeling that once the rule has been clarified, the other teams (likely Ferrari, RBR) will almost instantly match the BGP for pace.

I certainly hope not though, and tha the Virgin money will help maintain development of the car throughout the year.

KJM3
KJM3

Michiba wrote:How much of the pace of the BGP cars be attributed to the diffusers alone? I get the feeling that once the rule has been clarified, the other teams (likely Ferrari, RBR) will almost instantly match the BGP for pace.

I certainly hope not though, and tha the Virgin money will help maintain development of the car throughout the year.
I think their dominance will disappear once the other teams copy their diffuser idea. But with the ban on testing this year, validating this change (which is a very significant and complex one) will take a while to happen.

During that time, Brawn will refine the design and will keep a lead on the rest of the field. Maybe they won't dominate like they are now, but they will still be ahead or at the very least, in contention each race for wins.

Now if Brawn can add KERS. Everyone better run for cover.

- KJ

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Duda Soares
Duda Soares

DaveKillens wrote:Richard Branson always pushes the envelope. He is an incredibly astute and capable businessman. So having a car both beautiful and edgy seems to fit into the Virgin image. And I consider the current color scheme as good marketing. As mentioned, the car does look very attractive. With the possible exception of the glaring wheel rims, which make up the "edgy" part. This kind of thing is the complete opposite of the Renault and Force India. Both of these teams have cars that posess a lot of different colors. Very busy paint scheme, and without a coherent plan. The eye gets drawn everywhere, and whenever it settles, it's confusing to the eye. But the Brawn is at present, posessed by a beautiful simplicity. But with a dash of spice provided by the wheels.
I red this morning about the contract with Virgin was signed only for 2 races (Melbourne and Malasya) of this season with a budget about US$ 250.000,00 per race.

My question is: Virgin isnt ocupping the main sponsor spot of the car, is it ?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

KJM3 wrote:
Michiba wrote:
Now if Brawn can add KERS. Everyone better run for cover.

- KJ

Or not, since much of the advantage I think was that right now they are not worried about KERS, they can work on getting the balance right. With KERS they'd have to sacrifice some of that....and I'd classify Jensen as the same size as Kubica, so KERS might not do him much good...

sticky667
sticky667

Duda Soares wrote:
DaveKillens wrote:Richard Branson always pushes the envelope. He is an incredibly astute and capable businessman. So having a car both beautiful and edgy seems to fit into the Virgin image. And I consider the current color scheme as good marketing. As mentioned, the car does look very attractive. With the possible exception of the glaring wheel rims, which make up the "edgy" part. This kind of thing is the complete opposite of the Renault and Force India. Both of these teams have cars that posess a lot of different colors. Very busy paint scheme, and without a coherent plan. The eye gets drawn everywhere, and whenever it settles, it's confusing to the eye. But the Brawn is at present, posessed by a beautiful simplicity. But with a dash of spice provided by the wheels.
I red this morning about the contract with Virgin was signed only for 2 races (Melbourne and Malasya) of this season with a budget about US$ 250.000,00 per race.

My question is: Virgin isnt ocupping the main sponsor spot of the car, is it ?
from the looks of the decal placement, they are only on the top and sides of the monocoque and across the face shield. i don't think that's considered a main sponsor. although, they really only have 2-3 sponsors anyway, so for them it's a main sponsor!