2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

atanatizante wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 20:43
After FP2 Sim race laps it seems that delta time between soft and medium Tyre is 6 tenths on average. So we could see LEC, NOR or RIC starting on soft tyres with the likes of BOT, VER (and PER of course) on medium ones on the front row. In that case VER could negate the HAM's long first stint on the same medium tyres. That's way I think HAM should try to qualy in Q2 on hard tyres, something doable bearing in mind their race pace advantage here, those 4 tenths delta to medium tyres and OCO's low fuel times set in FP2 on hard tyres...
Start on softs for a better getaway from the grid.

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 20:05
zibby43 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 19:59
Big Tea wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 19:56
With Ferrari and McLaren both looking good here, anyone think it may worthwhile Ham not doing his best qualli lap on the softs?

If there is a battle between Ferrari McLaren and RBR They may fight it out for the top spot working the tyres hard and a start fro14 th on hards could easily pay dividends by tyre stop time
He’ll try to get through Q2 on Mediums. That’s what ultimately matters. The Softs are graining dramatically here.
I expect that if he doesn't make it into q3, they will find something on the car to change so he can start from the pitlane, and thus completely change how the car is set-up.
Yeah, but that would be a disaster. Judging by the decision to change just the ICE and how the pace was today, I think they’re gunning for pole.

Bottas can actually make an impact on the championship by getting P2 and leading the race on Sunday.

zibby43
zibby43

NL_Fer wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 21:12
F1NAC wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 20:19
According to AMuS it seems that the engine(4) that was replaced in Russia is not usable anymore for racing for Bottas
Will we ever know what is wrong with it? Overheated on Zandvoort or fault in manufacturing.
The engine in question was installed at Monza.

Re: the Soft tires, I would avoid them like the plague based on their rapid graining on this suddenly extremely grippy surface.

nzjrs

zibby43 wrote:
Very interesting. This means the investigation took so long they only learned about the need to mix components on Thursday?

Or are they more saying something about how the cars no longer go back to England between races so all changes are done on the track?

pb6797
pb6797

Gillian wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 13:49
pb6797 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 13:05
basti313 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 11:15

If you take an additional element, you are not allowed to stock them up. If he takes Nr. 5, the Nr. 4 is eliminated and can not be used anymore. So this does not make sense unless Nr. 4 is defective like it was for Bot.
You can "stock" them provided you take all your penalties. The rule to stop "stocking" was when Honda was taking two or three complete sets and only serving one "back of the grid" penalty. Although now I think about it even if he qualified on pole he couldn't serve two ten place grid drops ...
You are only allowed a pool of 3 engines. I think what Basti says is true. You keep the engine you used in the race. But correct me if I'm wrong...
Apologies, you are correct:

Should a driver use more than the numbers set in a) above of any one of the elements
during a Championship season, a grid place penalty will be imposed upon him at the first
Event during which each additional element is used. Penalties will be applied according
to the following table and will be cumulative:
The first time an additional element is used: Ten (10) grid place penalty.
The next times an additional element of the same type is used: Five (5) grid place penalty.
If a driver incurs a penalty exceeding fifteen (15) grid places he will be required to start
the race from the back of the starting grid.
Any of the seven elements will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing
transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.
During any single Event, if a driver introduces more than one of the same power unit
element which is subject to penalties, only the last element fitted may be used at
subsequent Events without further penalty.

zibby43
zibby43

nzjrs wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 21:51
zibby43 wrote:
Very interesting. This means the investigation took so long they only learned about the need to mix components on Thursday?

Or are they more saying something about how the cars no longer go back to England between races so all changes are done on the track?
They’re saying that mixing components is such an intricate process that it’s best done at the factory, as opposed to trying to do it on-site at the circuit.

nzjrs

zibby43 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 22:01
nzjrs wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

They’re saying that mixing components is such an intricate process that it’s best done at the factory, as opposed to trying to do it on-site at the circuit.
Interesting. That's also admitting that they really actively decided to mix the components.... Is it a calculus that the reliability gremlins live exclusively in the ICE, or that the difference between 10 and 20 place grid drop is significant.

In either case, interesting.

dans79

nzjrs wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 22:14
zibby43 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 22:01
nzjrs wrote:

Interesting. That's also admitting that they really actively decided to mix the components.... Is it a calculus that the reliability gremlins live exclusively in the ICE, or that the difference between 10 and 20 place grid drop is significant.

In either case, interesting.

based on what I posted earlier from Shovlin, it's a little bit of both.
viewtopic.php?p=1005173#p1005173
201 105 104 9 9 7

Gillian
Gillian

pb6797 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 21:58
Gillian wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 13:49
pb6797 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 13:05

You can "stock" them provided you take all your penalties. The rule to stop "stocking" was when Honda was taking two or three complete sets and only serving one "back of the grid" penalty. Although now I think about it even if he qualified on pole he couldn't serve two ten place grid drops ...
You are only allowed a pool of 3 engines. I think what Basti says is true. You keep the engine you used in the race. But correct me if I'm wrong...
Apologies, you are correct:

Should a driver use more than the numbers set in a) above of any one of the elements
during a Championship season, a grid place penalty will be imposed upon him at the first
Event during which each additional element is used. Penalties will be applied according
to the following table and will be cumulative:
The first time an additional element is used: Ten (10) grid place penalty.
The next times an additional element of the same type is used: Five (5) grid place penalty.
If a driver incurs a penalty exceeding fifteen (15) grid places he will be required to start
the race from the back of the starting grid.
Any of the seven elements will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing
transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.
During any single Event, if a driver introduces more than one of the same power unit
element which is subject to penalties, only the last element fitted may be used at
subsequent Events without further penalty.

All good! Thanks for looking it up. :D

ringo

They maybe want to use the medium tyre and go for pole.
Being P10 and getting a good first 10 laps can put lewis to P5 at least by then. He can simply drive the same strategy as the leaders on this track and just win on race pace.
They need to be aggressive. The hard tyre start could mean he falls back into the desperate pack.
For Sure!!

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

1-2 Mercedes qualification, it's frustrating Lewis has had to take a engine penalty.

What does everyone think? Best realistic result for Lewis tomorrow P4, just hope Bottas can win and minimalise the pain.

NathanOlder

Marty_Y wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 15:07
1-2 Mercedes qualification, it's frustrating Lewis has had to take a engine penalty.

What does everyone think? Best realistic result for Lewis tomorrow P4, just hope Bottas can win and minimalise the pain.
All depends on the opening laps, If Lewis can make a place or 2 on the first lap, then a podium is on for sure. Passing is tough apparently, in FP2 they were struggling to pass cars like Williams and Haas (according to Toto) but the Merc is very strong in S3 so hopefully passing will happen. WIth a decent strategy a great result is possible, but all depends on the start. To get to the podium , Lewis has to pass at least 3 Honda powered cars, so its interesting for sure.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

AeroDynamic

Marty_Y wrote:

I think Lewis can win if nothing else goes against him with weather or damage incidents. The nature of the DRS on the long back straight, with no slow corner section before it (plus MCS we’re setting that sector purple) should be ripe for helping an overtake. I’m no expert, but that’s what I see.

In theory it should be a good weekend for MCS and a damage limitation exercise for RB.

Big Tea

AeroDynamic wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 16:14
Marty_Y wrote:

I think Lewis can win if nothing else goes against him with weather or damage incidents. The nature of the DRS on the long back straight, with no slow corner section before it (plus MCS we’re setting that sector purple) should be ripe for helping an overtake. I’m no expert, but that’s what I see.

In theory it should be a good weekend for MCS and a damage limitation exercise for RB.
I agree, except that Merc seem to have been making some huge bloopers this season, so fingers crossed.

I also hope to see a several lap long dogfight between Max and Lewis with gentlemanly conduct all round
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

Big Tea wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 17:49
AeroDynamic wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 16:14
Marty_Y wrote:

I agree, except that Merc seem to have been making some huge bloopers this season, so fingers crossed.

I also hope to see a several lap long dogfight between Max and Lewis with gentlemanly conduct all round
Lewis will progress where he can and MCS will try and maximise an aggressive strategy by looking for a gap of clean air where he can exploit the pace advantage and potentially jump some people from the pit stop.