2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
flmkane
flmkane

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 17:28
I don’t think we want to encourage teams to use more engines in a season. It makes the sport more expensive for teams. That was the whole point of the engine rule. Penalties were too undesirable before. Teams will start designing engines to only last a few races to get more power. It’s going backwards.
I disagree. It makes each individual engine incredibly expensive, and also make R&D costs higher.

It also increased the advantage of the works teams.

dans79

flmkane wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 19:31
It also increased the advantage of the works teams.
Works teams will always have an advantage no matter what, The engine is designed to work hand in hand with the works teams chassis/aero philosophy!
201 105 104 9 9 7

SiLo

Isn't Red Bull technically a works team now? At least by buying out the engine department they will be surely?
Felipe Baby!

Mr.S
Mr.S

Let us hope Max gets P2 in Qatar & can try for P2 in Jeddah (which looks very hard). Mercedes engine (4 race one) will have high degradation so it will be a lot weaker in Abu Dhabi which will be a 50-50 race. I think P2 is the best Max can do in the next 2 races.

15-20km/hr or 15-20 hp is an insane differential. Hamilton has to be seriously average to lose the championship !

mstar
mstar

Mr.S wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 20:17
Let us hope Max gets P2 in Qatar & can try for P2 in Jeddah (which looks very hard). Mercedes engine (4 race one) will have high degradation so it will be a lot weaker in Abu Dhabi which will be a 50-50 race. I think P2 is the best Max can do in the next 2 races.

15-20km/hr or 15-20 hp is an insane differential. Hamilton has to be seriously average to lose the championship !
I think Christian said they know merc engines degrade but i wonder if the degrading is after 2 races? 3,4,5?

Its not about the speed on the straight if you cant get close enough and exit the corner the car in front can hopefully stay ahead. This is the reason Lewis was good, he kept launching from the last corners which made him zoom into slipstream and DRS

RGAEDA
RGAEDA

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 14:20
Question: should red bull / Honda take a risk on their engine with either a fresh one, or a new one with a higher power mapping like the mercedes? I mean max could just win one more without this risk. But it’s tough one to call. When you’re in the lead in pts, like on the race track, risky decisions are harder to take.

Honda could try to do what MCS are doing but that sort of high power / party mode is an unproven area of reliability for them, an area they didn’t quite match in the past. The penalt would potentially surrender an easy win to MCS and it comes with the risk of the engine not liking it and failing. I don’t know what hand Honda has got, but MCS is pulling their card 🃏 right now with these engine shenanigans. The rules need to be rewrote: a new engine should incur the same penalty as the first one.
I believe Christian Horner said the Honda engine throughout its life loses about a tenth but it doesn't mean they can't turn up or optimize the ERS mapping to gain straight-line speed, whatever they do to improve the straight-line speed will definitely help them but i think the advantage might just not be enough to get the reward for the risk. RB might just do what merc is doing but i highly doubt they'll take a new engine as there are various things that can play into mercs hand, especially if the upcoming races don't allow for overtaking which RB seems to struggle with when following another car. Let's say that RB honda puts a new engine behind the car and starts the race behind both mercs, it would be one thing to get past the other cars and another to pass a merc. If RB even gets behind the merc using the engine advantage it would still be very difficult to overtake on the straight, particularly when the merc gets a better exit onto the straight which i think is their strength. But i think RB also has an advantage if they are to start behind the mercs, considering a kilometer-long straight on the Qatar race track, it is possible to get past the merc but it has to be a monumental effort. I may be wrong but the possibilities for merc are seemingly strong as the upcoming races are believed to play to their strengths, as a fan of the sport i want both the teams to fight till the last meter to the line in Abu Dhabi.

godlameroso

Mr.S wrote:

P2? P2?!? In Qatar? P1, the Red Bull is too fast in the speed range of the corners in Qatar, this is fact.

Now it's their turn to fully send it.
Saishū kōnā

west52keep64

AeroDynamic wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 16:19
Because teams could use qualifying modes, engine modes more creatively before. Now that there is a championship on the line, one team is opting to run the engine at that peak power for Grand Prix distances with no intent to try and make it on 3 engines in a season. The reliability story is probably true but it’s also been used to deceive the intent behind multiple engines Now it seems?
The FIA can't change these rules during the middle of the season, not without agreement from all teams, which won't happen. They can apply a technical directive at each event, but that's more about clarifying something they feel already falls foul of existing rules, such as the whole flexi rear wing thing.

Should they look at it for next season and beyond? Maybe, but as others have mentioned, there's a cost cap in place so it's probably not something teams are going to make a regular habit of doing.

Viper2789
Viper2789

godlameroso wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 23:31
Mr.S wrote:

P2? P2?!? In Qatar? P1, the Red Bull is too fast in the speed range of the corners in Qatar, this is fact.

Not a fact, an opinion. No one has raced on this circuit and no data is available. I've looked at your 'predictions' over the years and I'd be better of asking a fortune teller.

godlameroso

Plenty of people have raced on this circuit, and plenty of data is available. Amazing the things they recommend around here. Moto GP races here often, some open wheel categories have raced here. I've driven this virtual track 2456.2km to be exact. Also I have 18 tracks worth of data and telemetry comparing the Red Bull and Mercedes over 18 race weekends. You seem to have a strange reaction to people noticing patterns.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

goldy So do you race virtually then correlate with real life results after?
You may be onto something. But can you account for track surface changes?
For Sure!!

NathanOlder

@godlameroso , do you race with the T-Cam view or is that just for demonstration purposes ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

godlameroso wrote:
Mr.S wrote:

Can you please show me where the facts are in this post?
Felipe Baby!

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 10:15
@godlameroso , do you race with the T-Cam view or is that just for demonstration purposes ?
1st person to drive. T cam for replays.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

SiLo wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 12:08
godlameroso wrote:
Mr.S wrote:

Can you please show me where the facts are in this post?
There was a race in Mexico. It has some esses that are taken above 140km/h. No one could touch RBR in Mexico. Lots of corners in that speed range. Not saying easy win, just saying it's going to be easier to win than it was in Brazil.
Saishū kōnā