2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
wogx

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

How does the transverse "wobbling" affect rear tires? Can that have any significant impact on wear?

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

El Scorchio

mkay wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 20:19
dans79 wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 20:08
Big Tea wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 20:05

There was radio chat from Max where the team told him he needed to switch his attention to race pace or it would suffer, but he said he wanted to stick with quali testing. Understandably
I think getting your race setup and eye where it needs to be is going to be almost as important as qualifying here! I still think overtaking on the main strait with drs will be pretty easy!
I don't think there will be much overtaking on this track. Track position will be key. And the longer you can go the better; I suspect the overcut will be way to go.
I think so as well actually. Even the main straight is pretty narrow and I can see plenty of overtakes getting snuffed out by cars moving around to defend. The stewards might be busy up and down the grid on Sunday.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

wogx wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 22:15
How does the transverse "wobbling" affect rear tires? Can that have any significant impact on wear?

The wobble is the result of the oversteer slide, it won't do that if they're cornering normally.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1jcw
f1jcw

For what reasons do people think running longer will be better then putting on fresh tyres?

rogazilla
rogazilla

Track position is key. Go as long as you can and hope for a vsc, safety car or even red flag to switch tire and hold position. I just don’t see much over taking unless people gets it wrong badly. Going off line in drs will put you in a bad spot for the next sets of corners… this is going to be tricky or just a procession race and pitting is going to be key.

politburo
politburo

From Lawrence Barretto of formula1.com

"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

politburo
politburo

Just for further context, in Qatar, it said Mercedes were only 7 hundredths of a second ahead and it ended up being 4 tenths in Q3, a nice 3 or 4 tenths in Q2 as well. So by all indications, Mercedes are looking good for a nice haul of points this weekend, which would effectively seal the WCC. And with Hamilton in P1 with the exception of any miracles (as if!) or mistakes, looks like Abu Dhabi will be a cut-throat race of whoever wins the race wins the Driver's championship - Hamilton is just on a different level at this point. Your machine doesn't get 6 poles in 7 races if your car is the 2nd best on the grid, especially when it is comfortably 2, 3 tenths ahead of your main rival in these terms.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

djones
djones

Is it that Redbull were slow every lap of the race sim, or that their speed dropped off quickly and brought the average down?

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Does anyone else feel that RedBull have kinda painted themselves into a corner ICE wise? Mercedes are just gunna keep saving that Brazilian special for Sat/Sun and keep turning it up. I can’t see how Verstappen takes a new one now.

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

djones wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 03:12
Is it that Redbull were slow every lap of the race sim, or that their speed dropped off quickly and brought the average down?
AMuS had the race pace delta between RBR and Merc at nearly 1s.

FOM (which is NOT AWS) has it around 5-6 tenths.

That’s a pretty eye-opening margin, considering HAM was using an old practice engine. Merc need to maybe sacrifice a bit of that race pace and make sure they lock out the front row.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

zibby43 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 06:43
djones wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 03:12
AMuS had the race pace delta between RBR and Merc at nearly 1s.

FOM (which is NOT AWS) has it around 5-6 tenths.

That’s a pretty eye-opening margin, considering HAM was using an old practice engine. Merc need to maybe sacrifice a bit of that race pace and make sure they lock out the front row.
How come Red Bull are ahead in qualification simulation pace?

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59526873
Hamilton said he had enjoyed his first experience of the circuit, which has several sequences of high-speed ess-bends with hairpins at either end, and a slow chicane to start the lap.

"Rapid," he said. "Unbelievably quick. It really is incredibly fast and a lot of grip. If you get the rhythm it's a beautiful track.

"The medium and the hard tyre were faster than the soft. The soft is probably a little bit too soft for the high-speed sections. It seems like the tyre is giving up a bit.

"I'm generally happy. I made some changes between the sessions. I'm not sure which one I want to stay with. We will study it tonight and try to make sure we have the right set-up for tomorrow.

"We are not rapid on a single lap I would say compared to the others, but the long-run pace seemed like it was not too bad.

"Over a single lap they [Red Bull] are quite quick so we have a bit of work to do."

Red Bull appeared a long way behind Mercedes when the teams simulated race-distance high-fuel running later in the session.

On average lap time over their runs, Verstappen was more than a second slower than Hamilton using the same tyre.

On both short and long runs, the Mercedes was gaining on the straights and in the slow first chicane, while the Red Bull gained back time in the quick left-right at Turns Seven and Eight.

Verstappen said: "We struggled to get heat into the tyres in FP2, which we will, of course, look into.

"Then we made a few changes from FP1 to FP2 which didn't quite work but hopefully we can find the right balance come qualifying.

"There are a lot of things to work on and improve so we'll see what we can do to get more pace out of the car overnight."

In the second session, Hamilton was 0.172secs quicker than Verstappen on the medium tyres when they did their first runs.

Neither Hamilton nor Bottas could improve on the soft tyres on their qualifying simulation runs. Verstappen also struggled to do so - but did in the end shave 0.077secs off his fastest time to edge closer to the Mercedes

I'm concerned that it might be a repeat of the situation Mercedes had at the 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Ryar

Hakuna Matata!

dans79

Ryar wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 07:38

He messed that up slightly, Merc set it's fastest times on mediums. neither driver got a clean lap on softs.
201 105 104 9 9 7