2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
rb88
rb88

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

The yellow.flag signal is a diagonal half, and with double yellows, it changes halves every half a second.

NathanOlder

DChemTech wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 22:12
bonjon1979 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 22:09
DChemTech wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 22:03

Did you see the onboard?
When Lewis was driving past, there was consistently a flashing yellow.
The driver cannot know if that will be gone in a second or will last for 10 seconds,
The driver cannot know if it is local or full course,
The driver cannot know if there is a stranded car ahead or not,
But, by the mere fact that a yellow is being displayed, the drivers should, at that moment, regardless how long it lasts, anticipate danger and act accordingly. That's all there is to it.

The situations between Max last time and Lewis this time are completely the same. There was a show of a yellow through one communication channel (even though in hindsight there was no specific reason for it to be shown) while they were passing, and they did not respond. The information between different channels was not consistent. Yet one was penalized and the other was not.
Can you post this video please? All I’ve seen is a yellow flash on several hundred meters away and then turn off. I’ve not seen Hamilton pass a yellow flag or signal.
https://youtu.be/f9vuUsZZf5E

The panel is visibly flashing between seconds 8 and 10, and is still doing so as the car passes.
This is nothing to do with what the stewards looked at. It was all about turn 1, where the yellow light was flashing way ahead and turned off before Lewis was anywhere near it.

Your video looks like the white flashing light to say theres a slow car in that area, which Lewis passes just before it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

hollus

This post had gotten stuck in moderation queue, as the user is new:
rb88 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 18:51
I re-watched the onboards - of Verstappen, Tsunoda, Hamilton, Perez, and Bottas, who were driving in that order on that lap.

Tsunoda goes off track to make space for Hamilton at turn 8/9

You can see a board in the distance, but that is a blue flag shown, as evidenced by this picture, where even before Tsunoda leaves the track, the board is shown for him. In any case the yellow flag is more clear and a diagonal half of the board.

By the time the actual yellow flags are shown, Hamilton has already left the scene and is steaming towards 11/12/13 and passing Verstappen. The yellow flag is first shown for Perez on a board at turn 8, which he sees on his left hand side just after turning from 7 to 8.

Subsequently, Bottas comes up to Perez, and just before he is about to pass him in the same 7/8/9/10 complex, a single-waved flag is shown on the same board.

Tsunoda going off track for Hamilton:

Blue flag still being shown for Tsunoda as Hamilton passes him:

Here A flag is shown, but Hamilton passes it so fast, from the onboard it is not clear if it's yellow, single-waved, or double-waved, it's just not clear AT ALL.

Another frame

In any case, the yellow flag was shown for an off-track incident that happened a mere milisecond before Hamilton passes Tsunoda. Once Tsunoda is actually off-track, Hamilton is already well clear of the incident scene.

Any penalty for this would be absolutely ridiculous.
Rivals, not enemies.

nevill3

It looks white to me to warn of the slow moving car ahead, this is after the alleged incident which concerns the warning panel at about 4 seconds in the video. Sky showed the video and it wad unclear as to what colour it was even to them. There was no yellow flag/light or sector as affirmed by the stewards. This was highlighted purely by the track electronic system that "detected " Lewis had not slowed during a yellow, the yellow was not in fact a yellow just an error so no notifications were sent to or seen by ANY driver on the track at that time
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

DChemTech
DChemTech

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 22:42
DChemTech wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 22:09

Can you post this video please? All I’ve seen is a yellow flash on several hundred meters away and then turn off. I’ve not seen Hamilton pass a yellow flag or signal.

The panel is visibly flashing between seconds 8 and 10, and is still doing so as the car passes.
This is nothing to do with what the stewards looked at. It was all about turn 1, where the yellow light was flashing way ahead and turned off before Lewis was anywhere near it.

Your video looks like the white flashing light to say theres a slow car in that area, which Lewis passes just before it.
Fair enough, then i was wrong

nevill3

DChemTech wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 22:58
NathanOlder wrote:
DChemTech wrote:

Actually you were correct and NathanOlder is mistaken, Sky analysed the first corner videos then realised with the time of the incident they were wrong and showed the correct video and analysis later.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

NathanOlder

nevill3 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 23:02
DChemTech wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 22:58
NathanOlder wrote:

Actually you were correct and NathanOlder is mistaken, Sky analysed the first corner videos then realised with the time of the incident they were wrong and showed the correct video and analysis later.
Oh really? Haha, then I was wrong.

If that was the incident, What did Lewis do wrong. it sounds like he is not fully on it, not sure what the lap time was though. anyone know?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zynerji

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: @ the woke journos in the post quali press conference/ interview ambushing Lewis about sponsorship stuff. That is NOT the place,.. That's what Twitter is for.🤬
Last edited by Zynerji on 04 Dec 2021, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

If I was Max, I would be avoiding this guy.

DiogoBrand

Can someone tell me what happens with parc ferme rules when a driver crashes in qualifying? I mean, is there a way for the FIA to verify that the setup will be the same after the car is repaired?
Wouldn't a team theoretically be able to put a qualifying setup on the car, crash it after their fast lap is completed, then repair it and put a race setup for Sunday?

I'm not a Hamilton fan creating conspiracy theories, I'm just genuinely wondering how the regulations deal with this situation.

dans79

DiogoBrand wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 23:51
Can someone tell me what happens with parc ferme rules when a driver crashes in qualifying? I mean, is there a way for the FIA to verify that the setup will be the same after the car is repaired?
Wouldn't a team theoretically be able to put a qualifying setup on the car, crash it after their fast lap is completed, then repair it and put a race setup for Sunday?

I'm not a Hamilton fan creating conspiracy theories, I'm just genuinely wondering how the regulations deal with this situation.
The team provides the FIA with a setup sheet before they leave the garage during qualifying.
201 105 104 9 9 7

west52keep64

I think every team also has an FIA technical delegate present in the garage who will oversee any changes required to repair the car for the race. They are only allowed to replace damaged parts and they must make like for like replacements.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

dans79 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 23:55
DiogoBrand wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 23:51

The team provides the FIA with a setup sheet before they leave the garage during qualifying.
If you watch the replay, you’ll see a big cloud of smoke from max’s right rear tyre after the accident as the wheel isn’t moving. The drive shaft is locked, so I’d say that gearbox is screwed, or, perhaps more importantly. You wouldn’t want to risk it being screwed so they’ll have to take a penalty to look at it.

Gillian
Gillian

Apparently not... Posted by Wouter in the RB team thread:

Verstappen gearbox does not need to be replaced

Gearbox tested

A source in the Austrian team told GPToday.net: "We have examined and looked at the car's performance after qualifying tonight. Max's car was tested with the gearbox just before midnight [local time] and it appears to be OK."

It can be concluded from this that Verstappen will simply start third, behind Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas who are together on the front row.

Jolle
Jolle

Just remember Singapore 2012. Small tap in Q3 on the wall and later during the race, Hamilton’s gearbox failed (and Lauda had a chat with him)

If tomorrow Verstappen comes to an hold on the way to the grid, it’s all on their own risk taking and not “oh those damn penalties”