2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

dans79 wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 23:55
DiogoBrand wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 23:51
Can someone tell me what happens with parc ferme rules when a driver crashes in qualifying? I mean, is there a way for the FIA to verify that the setup will be the same after the car is repaired?
Wouldn't a team theoretically be able to put a qualifying setup on the car, crash it after their fast lap is completed, then repair it and put a race setup for Sunday?

I'm not a Hamilton fan creating conspiracy theories, I'm just genuinely wondering how the regulations deal with this situation.
The team provides the FIA with a setup sheet before they leave the garage during qualifying.
I fear the FIA can not check all parameters to be the same as before the repair.
But honestly no Team can take the risk to cheat.

dans79

Gillian wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 00:57
Apparently not... Posted by Wouter in the RB team thread:

Verstappen gearbox does not need to be replaced

Gearbox tested

A source in the Austrian team told GPToday.net: "We have examined and looked at the car's performance after qualifying tonight. Max's car was tested with the gearbox just before midnight [local time] and it appears to be OK."

It can be concluded from this that Verstappen will simply start third, behind Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas who are together on the front row.
I don't trust an unknown source at all! The risk of dnf is to high. If I had to place a bet, I'd say it's a ploy to prevent Merc from changing Bottas's engine!
Last edited by dans79 on 05 Dec 2021, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
201 105 104 9 9 7

west52keep64

dans79 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 01:27
Gillian wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 00:57
Apparently not... Posted by Wouter in the RB team thread:

Verstappen gearbox does not need to be replaced

Gearbox tested

A source in the Austrian team told GPToday.net: "We have examined and looked at the car's performance after qualifying tonight. Max's car was tested with the gearbox just before midnight [local time] and it appears to be OK."

It can be concluded from this that Verstappen will simply start third, behind Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas who are together on the front row.
I don't trust an unknown source at all! The risk of dnf is to high. If I had to place a bet, I'd say it's a ploy to present Merc from changing Bottas's engine!
It's certainly a dubious claim, since I'm pretty sure Ferrari said exactly the same about Leclerc's gearbox in Monaco. It's a tough decision for the team, but a DNF tomorrow because they decided not to change the gearbox would be devastating for the championship. If there's race pace in the car, you've got to believe they'd play it safe and take the 5 places. There's a high probability for a safety car tomorrow, so it shouldn't be too difficult for Verstappen to "undo" that penalty in the race. I do think just hoping for the best and leaving it is a massive mistake from Red Bull, I hope I am wrong though.

El Scorchio

It’s a pretty agonising choice to have to make unless they are 100% sure. I guess they might be thinking if he has to start 8th there’s a huge risk of being tagged in the first corner or if he can’t really overtake and finishes any lower than fifth and is more than 8 points back going into the last round he may as well just DNF it.

Jolle
Jolle

I wonder if there was a talk before the run to take the risks that he did. As in: we need pole for this championship, etc etc.

Bit like poker and agressieve play with a bad hand. And now, with possibly not changing the gear box, feels like going all in with a 7 and a 2.

the poster below
the poster below

It seems like there are four main scenarios for Verstappen.

1) Keep the current gearbox, it stays in one piece for the race. A win here is a big step towards the title, and red bull have their eyes on the prize, but even second is a reasonable outcome. May consider taking a new gearbox next race if the win happens because he would have a minimum 14 point cushion over Hamilton and very likely to score enough in Abu Dhabi to recover from a grid penalty.

2) Keep the current gearbox, a gear breaks, the gearbox becomes a ragebox - utter disaster for red bull, if Hamilton wins the race. As has already been mentioned, testing on a rig doesn't equate to real world testing. Seems like a rather big risk to take, since second or third (with Hamilton winning) would still leave it wide open for the showdown in Abu Dhabi.

3) Change the gearbox, and come through for the win or a podium, similar to 1 or 2 above but with mitigated gearbox failure risk. The pace of the red bull looks more than enough to offset the grid drop, plus factoring in high likelihood of safety cars, it could easily be game on for the title contenders within the first round of stops.

4) Change the gearbox, and get caught up in some midfield carnage. I see this as possible but quite unlikely - not impossible there's a Brazil 2012 scenario or endplate loss etc, but you can get taken out at the front (see Hungary 2021) through no fault anyway, so the risk doesn't seem all that different.

I think it mainly depends if they think they can jump ahead into the first corner like Mexico. If yes, they will risk the gearbox. If no, I think they'll seriously consider the swap and look to jump in the stops with aggressive strategy, which is a strength compared to Mercedes.

ClarkBT11

I think Max should change the gearbox and take the 5 grid penalty. He's been one of the best drivers this season off the line and should be in third position fairly swiftly given he's only got Norris and Leclerc that will put up a modest fight, even they won't want to effect the championship i.e cause a DNF. A safety car period and who knows what can fall onto his lap. I'm looking forward to the race however it plays out that's for sure!

PlatinumZealot

Racing this track looks good in F2

https://www.fiaformula2.com/Latest/6Nax ... int-race-2

I gather that 3rd place starter does have a chance if he gets a good launch but can be pushed wide at the S. It's a bit different from Mexico here short run and high grip.

The last hairpin looks good to overtake into as well.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Gutted for max. He tried so hard and came so close, but just pushed over the limit. Feeling a bit gutted for the race tomorrow and the championship. Hoping he can pull it out of the bag and keep the tension and excitement going into the final race.

dans79

I'm finally home, and had a chance to watch the replay a few times. It looks like Max just took everything out of the rires in the first 2 sectors, and the front left had nothing left to give for the final corner!

Also, I'll be shocked if that's not a new gearbox, as that was a hard hit almost perfectly perpendicular to the axle! Additionally after impact it went from extreme toe-out to toe-in a few times before he came to a stop!
201 105 104 9 9 7

tpe
tpe

Everyone focuses on the gearbox, however I am concerned about the 1st corner in either scenario.
Wolff made a comment that was basically "don't try to pass at the 1st corner, you will not make it".
And if they change the gearbox, he will have to stay cool and make it through the first couple of corners.

politburo
politburo

dans79 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 08:48
tpe wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 08:39
Everyone focuses on the gearbox, however I am concerned about the 1st corner in either scenario.
Wolff made a comment that was basically "don't try to pass at the 1st corner, you will not make it".
And if they change the gearbox, he will have to stay cool and make it through the first couple of corners.
He isn't wrong, the run to turn one is very short, And the track is narrow!

Unless you get an exceptional start, and the other person gets a mediocre or bad one, chances are no one gets past in turn 1.
The track is not narrow into T1 mate, F2 cars are 2m wide and were 3-abreast there.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

politburo
politburo

Why are people speculating so much about gearboxes when all you can do is wait for the team or the FIA to officially release the news anyway?.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

politburo wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 10:05
Why are people speculating so much about gearboxes when all you can do is wait for the team or the FIA to officially release the news anyway?.
Because it’s discussion about F1 on a F1 forum?

dans79

politburo wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 10:04
dans79 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 08:48
tpe wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 08:39
He isn't wrong, the run to turn one is very short, And the track is narrow!

Unless you get an exceptional start, and the other person gets a mediocre or bad one, chances are no one gets past in turn 1.
The track is not narrow into T1 mate, F2 cars are 2m wide and were 3-abreast there.
They were only 3 abreast at the start because the guy on the inside decided to get well up on the apex curbs.
201 105 104 9 9 7