Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jwielage
jwielage

Re: Renault R29

What does matter is the total cross section of the car and its drag coefficient. Fat nose does not increase total cross section and have very complicated effect on drag coefficient. If anything, more rounder shape will have a lower drag than pointy at subsonic speed.
So there's no reason for R29 nose to create more drag per se.
I am sure you are correct when you state that a fat nose does not increase drag per se. However my statement was as follows
And yes a wider nose, like that on the R29, will produce more drag.
I guess I was assuming that the R29s nose was shaped this way in an effort to produce downforce from this section of the car. My next assumption, which may be incorrect, would be that any downforce production would come at the cost of additional drag. Is this not true ?

I hope that my comments weren't taken as that of an arm-chair aerodynamicist, I believed that my statements could be backed by deductive reasoning. :?
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

jwielage wrote:I guess I was assuming that the R29s nose was shaped this way in an effort to produce downforce from this section of the car. My next assumption, which may be incorrect, would be that any downforce production would come at the cost of additional drag. Is this not true ?
Not necessarily.

Especially at the centre of the wing very near the ground plane.

scarbs
scarbs

leomax wrote:anyone recall who supplies batteries for kers?
Saft for Renault, Litec for Toyota. unknown for the others.

vasia
vasia

jwielage wrote: First off you are confusing correlation with causality. Just because the "fastest cars", as you have deemed them, have narrow noses says absolutely nothing about what is causing this parity in performance. Even if you could prove a correlation between nose width and Australian GP performance (statistically you lack the volume of data to do so), this would still not be sufficient evidence to condemn this nose design. The fact is that their are so many other factors influencing performance that you have ignored completely.

Second why did Torro Rosso qualified at the back of the grid? By your logic they should have been at the very front with the RBRs because they have the most narrow nose. And if you tell me that they had other issues affecting their performance I will refer you to your original post where you stated.

We get it, you don't like the design of the R29's nose. And yes a wider nose, like that on the R29, will produce more drag. I would say there is a good chance Pat Symons knows this as well. The only way Renault loses the wide nose cone is if they do so in conjunction with a major update of the entire body work, including Brawn-esque diffuser. This would constitute a change in the fundamental aero philosophy of the car, based on an updated set of assumptions regarding what is permissible.
I already stated that Australia GP results are not conclusive, and that Sepang (assuming it's a dry race) will be a more accurate indicator. Why did Toro Rosso qualify near the back? That's a silly question to ask isn't it? Toro Rosso has mediocre drivers this year. If Vettel was driving one of the Toro Rosso cars, it's almost certain he would have qualified in the Top 10.

It's highly rumoured Renault is working on a Brawn-esque diffuser, and certainly Renault's front wing will change as it is too underdeveloped at this point. So there is a good possibility Renault's nose may change, especially if their original nose that failed crash testing was slimmer.
timbo wrote: This is actually wrong. What does matter is the total cross section of the car and its drag coefficient. Fat nose does not increase total cross section and have very complicated effect on drag coefficient. If anything, more rounder shape will have a lower drag than pointy at subsonic speed.
So there's no reason for R29 nose to create more drag per se.
Jeez, I have suggestion for vasia - apply for job in any team's aero department, you'd save them tons money, who'd need CFD or wind-tunnel when you can judge aero-efficiency by picture.
There's no dumb people in F1. If car looks certain way that was because it was optimal design. And if you say that ugly cars don't win - look at 412T4.
Obviously the total cross section matters. I was explicitly talking about only the drag coefficient of the nose, and what effect increasing frontal area of the nose has on the drag. Most of the slim-nose cars this year actually have very smooth, and very rounded noses. The only nose that is somewhat 'pointy' is the RB5 nose.

Also let me clarify; I think the nose is an issue on the R29 because in my opinion, it (along with the front wing) does not fit the rest of the car's aerodynamics. Looking at the sidepods, engine cover, floor, and parts of the rear, you can tell the R29 is highly developed aerodynamically. A lot of very complex curvature can be seen in the sidepods and engine cover, as well as the floor ahead and 'round of the sidepods. The front wing and nose on the other hand, are quite simple.

Obviously there are no dumb people in F1, but at the same time nobody is perfect. It would be foolish to expect F1 aerodynamicists and mechanical/chassis people to have optimal/perfect design ALL the time. People in F1 are only human, just like the rest of us. They make mistakes just like all people do. That sometimes includes mistakes of fundamentally going in the wrong design and development direction for an F1 car. There have been examples before in F1 of top teams going in the wrong direction and ending up with a messy car.

Do not think that Renault is immune from that, or that the fat nose is on there because it is the "most optimal" design.
Miguel wrote: And by the way, so far the quickest car is the Brawn, which happens to have... a pretty fat nose.
The Brawn nose is very rounded and smooth; the R29 nose is more blunt and has more "edges". The complex curvature of the Brawn nose also matches the rest of the car's aerodynamic design and philosophy. That does not seem to be the case on the R29. The nose and front wing on the R29 seem underdeveloped compared to other parts of the car.
xpensive wrote: Anyway, I noticed that the R29s were the slowest in a straight-line of all cars at Albert Park, still the engine?
Could be they needed more downforce for stability and balance, so they ran more wing. It could also be that the car produces more drag than others at the same downforce levels.

PlatinumZealot

Still. though i have to go with timbo on this one.. THe only way you can come to that conclusion is by testing the nose.

BMW said that they thought a wider nose was better according to their tests. Whatever setup they had that design was best.

Another example is in the Modern day "Boxy" looking fighter Jets, and some modern supercars such as the Nissan skyline.. It is very wide and boxy and it has one of the lowest drag coefficients.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

jddh1

Piquet Jr goes off one minute from the end of FP1 and gets stuck on the gravel. I suspect a right front wheel puncture but let's wait for the official report.

vasia
vasia

n smikle wrote:Still. though i have to go with timbo on this one.. THe only way you can come to that conclusion is by testing the nose.

BMW said that they thought a wider nose was better according to their tests. Whatever setup they had that design was best.

Another example is in the Modern day "Boxy" looking fighter Jets, and some modern supercars such as the Nissan skyline.. It is very wide and boxy and it has one of the lowest drag coefficients.
Going by that logic, why don't we look at one of the fastest aircraft ever made, the SR-71 Blackbird? It has an extremely pointy, slim nose. The entire aircraft is also extremely slick and rounded. Talking about drag coefficients, the SR-71 has a very low one to be able to fly at the speeds it does.

Also, who knows if BMW got it right? Perhaps BMW and Renault both took a wrong direction with going for wider, more "blunt" noses, as opposed to slim or medium noses with complex curvature. We shall see later in the season which direction was the right one.

timbo
timbo

vasia wrote: Going by that logic, why don't we look at one of the fastest aircraft ever made, the SR-71 Blackbird? It has an extremely pointy, slim nose. The entire aircraft is also extremely slick and rounded. Talking about drag coefficients, the SR-71 has a very low one to be able to fly at the speeds it does.
SR-71 is irrelevant example because its aerodynamics is tailored specifically for supersonic flight at 3M. Compare that to JumboJet at subsonics and Jumbo will have MUCH better efficiency despite being fatter. Optimal shapes for subsonics and supersonics are different big time!
The reason for thin noses in F1 I believe is to let more air to the sidepods and underbody. Renault nose may be going against it but they exploit the central neutral section of the front wing, making it not neutral.
Yes, there's often mistakes in design, but that nose is not a blind shot, for sure they compared it to the narrow one.

Metar

vasia: All that "going against the philosophy" is again your arm-chair aerodynamicist speaking. You don't really have an idea what the philosophy is, or exactly how air flows in any of the areas. You just say, "rest of car is complex, so 'complexity' must be the philosophy behind the R29". We all see that the front wing isn't nearly as complex as the Toyota/Brawn/others built them - but what's with that and design philosophy?

And as others said, a blunt nose with edges doesn't affect overall drag more than a thin nose - either way, it's the total frontal area and drag-coefficient, and you have no way to determine the second from your seat behind the monitor. For all you know, the bit of extra suspension hidden behind it would cause more drag exposed than now. You cannot know, and neither can I or anyone else.

vasia
vasia

timbo wrote: SR-71 is irrelevant example because its aerodynamics is tailored specifically for supersonic flight at 3M. Compare that to JumboJet at subsonics and Jumbo will have MUCH better efficiency despite being fatter. Optimal shapes for subsonics and supersonics are different big time!
The reason for thin noses in F1 I believe is to let more air to the sidepods and underbody. Renault nose may be going against it but they exploit the central neutral section of the front wing, making it not neutral.
Yes, there's often mistakes in design, but that nose is not a blind shot, for sure they compared it to the narrow one.
Correct, different aerodynamic philosophies for different applications. So then would you not agree that at subsonic speeds a sleek, smooth and rounded nose is more optimal than an edgy, blunt, or sharp wide nose? Looking at subsonic Jumbo jets, virtually all of them have very smooth, rounded noses.

vasia
vasia

Metar wrote:vasia: All that "going against the philosophy" is again your arm-chair aerodynamicist speaking. You don't really have an idea what the philosophy is, or exactly how air flows in any of the areas. You just say, "rest of car is complex, so 'complexity' must be the philosophy behind the R29". We all see that the front wing isn't nearly as complex as the Toyota/Brawn/others built them - but what's with that and design philosophy?

And as others said, a blunt nose with edges doesn't affect overall drag more than a thin nose - either way, it's the total frontal area and drag-coefficient, and you have no way to determine the second from your seat behind the monitor. For all you know, the bit of extra suspension hidden behind it would cause more drag exposed than now. You cannot know, and neither can I or anyone else.
- Does the R29 have some aerodynamic problems? Yes, Renault themselves have alluded to and partially admitted it.
- Is the nose part of the problem? Quite possible, particularly if the rumours are true and this nose is a replacement for the original nose that failed crash testing.
- If Renault changes the nose and/or front wing, will that imply or confirm the nose was an issue? Almost certainly yes.
- If the R29 continues to struggle in the next few races, is that further evidence against the nose? Hard to say, but continued performance struggles with the R29 certainly will not make a better case that the current nose is the most optimal design.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

vasia wrote:So then would you not agree that at subsonic speeds a sleek, smooth and rounded nose is more optimal than an edgy, blunt, or sharp wide nose? Looking at subsonic Jumbo jets, virtually all of them have very smooth, rounded noses.
No.

It depends what you want to do, for instance:

You want a constant, clean separation point, you have a sharp nose.

You want to do something fancy in the boundary layer (like Taylor Gortler vortices) you have sharp concave curves.

You want to keep the boundary layer stable - then a very soft concave curve is desired.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Pointy ftw indeed ;)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

timbo
timbo

vasia wrote: - Is the nose part of the problem? Quite possible, particularly if the rumours are true and this nose is a replacement for the original nose that failed crash testing.
So, you say that the team was able to create new nose in less than a month time?
Why they won't use R28 nose that definitely passed crash test?
- If Renault changes the nose and/or front wing, will that imply or confirm the nose was an issue? Almost certainly yes.
Nose IS the problem if they slap another one without changing a thing and R29 would improve.

SZ
SZ

vasia wrote: Going by that logic, why don't we look at one of the fastest aircraft ever made, the SR-71 Blackbird? It has an extremely pointy, slim nose. The entire aircraft is also extremely slick and rounded. Talking about drag coefficients, the SR-71 has a very low one to be able to fly at the speeds it does.
SR71 certainly doesn't have the lowest drag coefficient possible, nor is it designed to. If you had any idea how the chines on the side of the nose worked you'd understand this immediately. The aerodynamically significant systems on the Blackbird are anything but 'slick and rounded'.

Then again, it takes a pretty basic understanding of aerodynamics to understand this much (or a quick Google search on the Blackbird) - knowledge which you don't seem to have.

Your (incorrect) arguments for some reason are fixated on drag force. Try explaining why whichever nose design generates more downforce - racecars tend to work on downforce - and you might generate some useful discussion about the issue.