2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

dans79 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:22
I haven't seen the slow Mo yet but it almost looks like from Lewis's onboard that right before contact I can see Max's brake lights!
F1 cars don't have brake lights. They do have flashing red lights to warn that they're harvesting, which I believe Max's car would be doing if he was off throttle. Nothing to do with his brake pedal.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

tpe
tpe

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:32
JPBD1990 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:28
I don’t understand Mercedes’ asking the FIA IF they can pass. The track is green? Max is slowing? Why is Lewis also slowing down behind him in the middle of a flat out straight? It’s so bizarre. I can’t imagine… what if max was just breaking down? Is Lewis going to slow to a halt behind him and retire? It’s just so… bizarre.
Have you not been watching? Hamilton sees a slowing Verstappen with no idea why. Alarm bells would be going off in Hamilton’s mind.
It could easily be a broker gearbox, LH attempt to break doesn't make any sense.
For me, the incident is nothing more than a. miscommunication first and b. questionable tactics (get DRS) from MV.
I am 100% sure noone wanted a DNF at least like that.
Last edited by tpe on 05 Dec 2021, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

For god's sake why is Lewis being summoned, this is ridiculous, surely they can't give him a penalty, what did he do wrong?

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Mogster wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:37
It’s hardly surprising Hamilton was wary of trying to pass him…. :?
Exactly. Those acting like they don’t understand are coming across as being intentionally obtuse.

Mogster

I can’t honestly remember seeing a collision during a place switch before, the guy in front tends to make a clear move offline. Being charitable I can only assume Max thought giving the place and then immediately re-passing Lewis with DRS would be acceptable. The weaving though…
Last edited by Mogster on 05 Dec 2021, 22:46, edited 2 times in total.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Marty_Y wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:41

For god's sake why is Lewis being summoned, this is ridiculous, surely they can't give him a penalty, what did he do wrong?
No one is going to get penalized, they are being summoned for the sake of it.

They will throw the incident under the table, blaming miscommunication.

nevill3

I believe Max shot himself in the foot when he let Lewis by and immediately passed him again. This demonstrates what he was doing when Lewis ran into the back of him, if it was at the same place, I don't quite recall exactly where Lewis passed him the second the time.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Marty_Y wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:41

Usually it is to get the drivers view of what happened and what they were thinking as it happened.

falonso81

Thank you Liberty Media. Thank you FIA.
Anyone knows if i can get a refund on my F1 TV subscription?

wogx

JamesS wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:30
People questioning why Lewis didn't just go past Max when he slowed, come on, engage your brain (looking at you Paul Di Resta):

1) Max is known for moving under braking, going this way and the other way
2) Lewis may have been thinking there is a VSC or SC ahead - There had been several already
3) The drivers get penalised for not seeing a tiny flag whilst driving at 200 mph
1) Yeah, in the past he braked sooo many times in the middle of straight length :roll:
2,3) they passed by two flag screens & at least one marshal point, there were no flags showed/flashing. Hamilton isn't blind, is he?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

nevill3 wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:43
I believe Max shot himself in the foot when he let Lewis by and immediately passed him again. This demonstrates what he was doing when Lewis ran into the back of him, if it was at the same place, I don't quite recall exactly where Lewis passed him the second the time.
Pretty much the same.

El Scorchio

That replay of Verstappen ‘defending’ at turn 1 that led to the penalty looks absolutely shocking when you watch it back. Zero attempt to make the corner or stay on the track.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is how wonderfully Ocon handled the restarts. Very mature. Kept out of the way and let them get on with it. Much respect to him.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

The BBC did a vote for who is the best driver, the results speak for themselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/54911282

Who is the better driver?

Thank you for voting. Here are the current results.

Lewis Hamilton 85%
Lewis Hamilton
85%
Max Verstappen 15%
Max Verstappen
15%
You have reached the maximum number of votes allowed.

fourmula1
fourmula1

Was Lewis trying to wait until the DRS zone? We've seen people wait for DRS line a bunch of times. Thoughts were probably confusion -> drs/final corner -> I'll wait and take DRS.

I think data will say a lot. Did Max brake pretty randomly with Lewis right behind him? Or did Lewis forget to brake into the corner?

Shrieker

Michael Schumacher would be tipping his hat to MV if he ever saw this race. MV took dirty racing to a subtle level even he could hardly imagine. Schumacher pulled some of the dirtiest moves in the history of this sport, but not even he was this sinister.

The first restart where he lost the lead, but rejoined dangerously by jumping over the kerb into Ham's path, to take him out. The side by side into T1 where he didn't make it which earned him a penalty, and then the infamous incident where he was supposed to only let Lewis by clean were all very intelligently crafted to take him out of the race. He was content to DNF, as long as the same happened to Lewis. That's what happens when you drive in the points table, instead of the track.

Before, he came across as a driver that had massive talent but didn't care much about clean or fair racing. Tonight, he fully turned to the dark side.

This is not racing.
Last edited by Shrieker on 05 Dec 2021, 23:09, edited 3 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk