2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

I honestly don’t understand what a lot of people are wondering about, whether Hamilton was told if Verstappen was letting him thru of not? It’s green flag racing, RACING! That means you can overtake. Any driver, especially a 7 time champ should know that. I don’t understand why Hamilton even put himself in a situation to be following Verstappen so closely at such slow speed. Just overtake, it’s green flag conditions. That’s the point of racing, is it not?
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

nevill3

mzivtins wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 00:14

Can we have a picture link to the telemetry?

In my mind atm it's a non penalty incident with max more too blame, but a sharp braking manoeuvre like that would change my opinion to be a penalty needed incident... Of course change my opinions based on what facts we see...
Last edited by nevill3 on 06 Dec 2021, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

mzivtins
mzivtins

nevill3 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 00:31
mzivtins wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 00:14

Can we have a picture link to the telemetry?

In my mind atm it's a non penalty incident with max more too blame, but a sharp braking manoeuvre like that would change my opinion to be a penalty needed incident... Of course change my opinions based on what facts we see...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF4JHXrXwAE ... name=small
Thanks bro, wow that's urm, really bad, I wasn't expecting that lol

TwanV
TwanV

I would put it differently, you can always try to make the corner and if you don't succeed, give the place back: modern racing. It's the same but different, but not seeing him try somehow would be very disappointing too.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

Nathanael F1 wrote:
I don’t understand why Hamilton even put himself in a situation to be following Verstappen so closely at such slow speed. Just overtake, it’s green flag conditions. That’s the point of racing, is it not?
Because quite often an overtaking opportunity isn't always the best option to take.

Jolle
Jolle

Nathanael F1 wrote:
I honestly don’t understand what a lot of people are wondering about, whether Hamilton was told if Verstappen was letting him thru of not? It’s green flag racing, RACING! That means you can overtake. Any driver, especially a 7 time champ should know that. I don’t understand why Hamilton even put himself in a situation to be following Verstappen so closely at such slow speed. Just overtake, it’s green flag conditions. That’s the point of racing, is it not?
Maaaybe… seeing Verstappens previous behaviour when being overtaken, weaving and stuff, maybe he could of had a technical issue and would block Hamilton fiercely when he would pass? Think Rosberg, Schumacher…

JamesS
JamesS

Nathanael F1 wrote:
This is easily countered by the fact we had several VSCs/SCs by this point, very easy to see how a driver is totally confused by what is happening by a slowing driver, no communication from team up to that point. Remember drivers get penalised for not noticing tiny little flags whilst driving at 200 mph...

Brenton
Brenton

F1 brought this on themselves with this "whoever's first to the corner gets to shove the opponent off the track" parking lot runoff anti-racing nonsense. Everyone has short memories if they don't see Lewis as having always been the same way. I don't hate the players, I hate that those responsible for making the game have let it come to this.

F1 fans laugh at Nascar but F1 has a lot to learn from it regarding red flag rules and side by side racing. I think the series with thousands of overtakes each season that doesn't need to give out 5 second penalties could be learned from. They haven't replaced the outside walls of Bristol with parking lots of runoff have they?
Last edited by Brenton on 06 Dec 2021, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

TwanV wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 00:33
I would put it differently, you can always try to make the corner and if you don't succeed, give the place back: modern racing. It's the same but different, but not seeing him try somehow would be very disappointing too.
You can miss a corner once. But if you miss it every time by a huge margin whenever someone pulls a legit overtake on you, there is a problem.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

I think it's going largely overlooked and Masi straight ignored it but that unsafe re-entry for the first restart was absolutely insane. He was plainly behind, decided to just floor it and try to get alongside off track but then he comes back on mid corner and basically Rosberg/Austria's him by coming on at a sharp angle, slow and forces Hamilton to change line completely and slow to avoid him allowing Ocon to pass him.

But he slowed the entire pack as everyone behind slowed. The reason Perez ended up between two cars was largely as the pack moved around trying to find space as the cars ahead got slowed down. Max for me played a huge part in how both crashes happened but also wasn't investigated nor punished for that re=entry when he plainly could have come back on both further to the right and at a better angle to come on. DOing so wouldn't have blocked Hamilton though. Of all the stuff he did today that was actually by far the most dangerous.

the poster below
the poster below

Well it's up. Offence for causing a collision on 33.

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

littlebigcat wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 00:34
Nathanael F1 wrote:
I don’t understand why Hamilton even put himself in a situation to be following Verstappen so closely at such slow speed. Just overtake, it’s green flag conditions. That’s the point of racing, is it not?
Because quite often an overtaking opportunity isn't always the best option to take.
And crashing into the back of your opponent is an even worse option to take.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

TwanV
TwanV

Common Jolle, in Melbourne sure, but the championship is on the line and both teams are squeezing every marginal gain. There is no problem as max gave the place back. And I'm fine with that, and would be dissapointed if max wouldve just lifted, wouldn't you?

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

10 second penalty for Max, what a joke, oh and 2 points on his license.

mzivtins
mzivtins

the poster below wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 00:42
Well it's up. Offence for causing a collision on 33.
So blame was given, is it racing incident with blame given or was a penalty given? Needless to go that far I think having it as fact enough that the driver was wrong is all that is needed.