2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SchuMassa
SchuMassa

Re: 2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, Dec 03 - 05

ringo wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 00:48
I think what's not good for the sport is the idea that if you run of out talent or your car is not fast enough, you can end another team's race.
It should not stand in F1. The sport is about building the faster car and having the fastest driver and the best team and winning on those merits.
Crashing an opponent out defeats any sense of competition. Why build a fast car to run relaibly for the racd and a top team, if some kid is going to crash into your car to end your race?

F1 is not a contact sport like nfl or rugby so it has no place for drivers like Max who are making the sport out to be one where crashing into others is a legitimate way to compete.

Winning this way doesnt make you the fastest driver or makes your team the best team. It's ugly and shouldnt be tolerated.

Gonna say this again But Max should get a race ban or a 10 place penalty for brake testing.
It makes no sense race with him in the final. He has show he has run out of talent and is not worthy to compete on skill or fair game.
Even though you are hopelessly biased, I will try to explain why Max was braking. It's pretty simple:
HE WAS TOLD TO LET HAMILTON THROUGH.

Had he wanted to take him out/brake test him, he would've just floored the brake on the straight.
Instead, he had been constantly deccelarating, and still, Hamilton didn't go through. Most likely he grew slighly impatient (understandably) and decided to slow down even more. That's when contact happened. Everyday traffic situation: you decide to let the other car slot in ahead of you, he misunderstand you, so you slow down even more (flash lights etc.) so that he gets the message. Yet, I realize it's more convenient to call Max a cheat. Still, it's extremely tiresome for us to deal with blatant cases of trolling.
Last edited by SchuMassa on 06 Dec 2021, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

Well it’s good they did something but it’s completely inconsequential and far from being a deterrent for any similar future behaviour. I guess they didn’t want to do anything that might have an outcome on the championship race.

But I hope they’ve given him the most severe talking to possible and told him absolutely none of the behaviour from today is to occur in Abu Dhabi or they will come down like a tonne of bricks and he will not become champion by foul means.

zeph
zeph

Dirty Max. Right out of Schumacher’s repertoire.

mzivtins
mzivtins

SchuMassa wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:07
ringo wrote:
I think what's not good for the sport is the idea that if you run of out talent or your car is not fast enough, you can end another team's race.
It should not stand in F1. The sport is about building the faster car and having the fastest driver and the best team and winning on those merits.
Crashing an opponent out defeats any sense of competition. Why build a fast car to run relaibly for the racd and a top team, if some kid is going to crash into your car to end your race?

F1 is not a contact sport like nfl or rugby so it has no place for drivers like Max who are making the sport out to be one where crashing into others is a legitimate way to compete.

Winning this way doesnt make you the fastest driver or makes your team the best team. It's ugly and shouldnt be tolerated.

Gonna say this again But Max should get a race ban or a 10 place penalty for brake testing.
It makes no sense race with him in the final. He has show he has run out of talent and is not worthy to compete on skill or fair game.
Even though you are hopelessly biased, I will try to explain why Max was breaking at that point. It's pretty simple:

Had he wanted to take him out/brake test him, he would've just floored the brake on the straight.
Instead, he had been constantly deccelarating, and still, Hamilton didn't go through. Most likely he grew slighly impatient (understandably) and decided to slow down even more. That's when contact happened. Everyday traffic situation: you decide to let the other car slot in ahead of you, he misunderstand you, so you slow down even more (flash lights etc.) so that he gets the message. Yet, I realize it's more convenient to call Max a cheat. Still, it's extremely tiresome for us to deal with blatant cases of trolling.
The facts are out, he did deliberately brake chack hamilton. Now the facts are there your opinions needs to change

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

El Scorchio wrote:
But I hope they’ve given him the most severe talking to possible and told him absolutely none of the behaviour from today is to occur in Abu Dhabi or they will come down like a tonne of bricks and he will not become champion by foul means.
Helmut, Jos and Horner will just keep whispering Max did nothing wrong in his ear and anything the stewards say will be ignored.

the poster below
the poster below

Does the severity of the penalty equate to penalties in other formulae / feeder series for brake testing?

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

So max got a token penalty for brake checking Hamilton? One that literally has no effect on anything what so ever?
Feels like the stewards have bottled it yet again

Incognito
Incognito

SchuMassa wrote:
Even though you are hopelessly biased, I will try to explain why Max was braking. It's pretty simple:

Your entire case rests on the idea that Verstappen is such a poor driver that he didn't know where Hamilton was so, when he stamped on the brakes (as highlighted by the stewards), he had no idea that Hamilton was directly behind him.

What makes you think that Verstappen is such a poor driver?

El Scorchio

littlebigcat wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:10
El Scorchio wrote:
Helmut, Jos and Horner will just keep whispering Max did nothing wrong in his ear and anything the stewards say will be ignored.
You’re right. This is the problem. He will never learn while he has his circle constantly telling him he is right and the rest of the world is wrong. It was exactly the same with Vettel at RBR as well.

I do genuinely wonder how Horner feels about some of this though. He must KNOW it’s wrong. It’s his job, but deep down is he embarrassed having to keep coming out and defending the actions of his driver?

AMG.Tzan

littlebigcat wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:10
El Scorchio wrote:
Horner and Marko should get banned from F1! They cannot accept silly mistakes and they'll even go as far as encouraging their driver to drive dangerously!

If you cannot accept that what your driver did was dangerous then you have no place in the paddock! At least Briatore and Symonds didn't put other drivers at risk at Singapore 2008...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

El Scorchio wrote:
Well it’s good they did something but it’s completely inconsequential and far from being a deterrent for any similar future behaviour. I guess they didn’t want to do anything that might have an outcome on the championship race.

Nothing will change. The FIA/stewards have shown during all Max years that they will allow this just for the show. And no one in his entourage will ask him to change approach either. Marko and Horner already claim they were hard done by this race, all decisions went against them, they see no reason for Max to change his approach... so it will be the same all over again in the next situation.

Now they even had the chance to give him grid penalties for next race, but not even a god damn BRAKE TEST is enough to punish him properly. If I was Mercedes I would appeal the decision.

Desperately hoping for a 1-2 on the grid for Mercedes next race to avoid even the possibility of a reckless divebomb, and then a smooth sailing to the eight title. Just to see the faces of the dirtiest driver the sport has seen and his team, if nothing else.

jknights
jknights

ringo wrote:

For the gladiatorial spectacle I have to disagree and remember that F1 is owned by an American conglomerate that like hard contact!

From a sporting perspective I have to agree 100%.
This should have been a DQ (black flag) item or a one race ban.
But that would cause whingeing Horner to go to litigation against FIA and also meant the last race was meaningless for the spectators.

Ultimately Verstappen will win a WDC if he doesnt kill himself first in his ludicrous defenses of an overtake. He may kill someone else in the process and we have seen the warnings. Question is do we need another F1 driver death?

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

mzivtins wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:08
SchuMassa wrote:
ringo wrote:

Even though you are hopelessly biased, I will try to explain why Max was breaking at that point. It's pretty simple:

The facts are out, he did deliberately brake chack hamilton. Now the facts are there your opinions needs to change
Facts are out, indeed: he tapped the brakes.
I offered an utterly sensible explanation from everyday life. As someone who has done competitive racing, trust me, I can relate to it more than a lot of people here. If I want to let someone through and yet he stays behind me, I either slow down even more or say "f.ck it" and floor the throttle. Since he was ordered to give up the position, he had no other choice. Was it dangerous? I guess it was, that's why he got penalized. Was it malicious, something completely unreasonable, something that cannot be explained? No. (Well, provided that one is willing to engage in objective thinking.)

SiLo

SchuMassa wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:15
mzivtins wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:08
SchuMassa wrote:

Facts are out, indeed: he tapped the brakes.
I offered an utterly sensible explanation from everyday life. As someone who has done competitive racing, trust me, I can relate to it more than a lot of people here. If I want to let someone through and yet he stays behind me, I either slow down even more or say "f.ck it" and floor the throttle. Since he was ordered to give up the position, he had no other choice. Was it dangerous? I guess it was, that's why he got penalized. Was it malicious, something completely unreasonable, something that cannot be explained? No. (Well, provided that one is willing to engage in objective thinking.)
he braked from 180mph down to 60mph. Just so you are aware.
Felipe Baby!

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

Incognito wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 01:14
SchuMassa wrote:

Your entire case rests on the idea that Verstappen is such a poor driver that he didn't know where Hamilton was so, when he stamped on the brakes (as highlighted by the stewards), he had no idea that Hamilton was directly behind him.

What makes you think that Verstappen is such a poor driver?
Why didn't Hamilton pass him? Some fanboys would say he was wary of Verstappen. Why was he following him from such a close distance then? You don't usually travel on someone's gearbox who you don't trust at all.
As I said, Verstappen's reaction was completely reasonable, albeit dangerous.