2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Apparently Zak Brown spoke at the Oxford Union today and was happy to share some goals for the team this season.

Mainly:
  • He predicts Ferrari to be much more competitive this year, and for McLaren to be off the pace to Ferrari in comparison to last year, but closer to Mercedes and Red Bull (so remaining 4th)

Goal is to close the gap, win a couple of races, make it into Q3 as much as possible

New investments last year has allowed for the construction of a new wind tunnel and simulator, to be completed in 2023 - he predicts that the first year that McLaren will be able to build a championship contending car is 2024.
For an overall summary

So don't get your hopes too high for this season people! Although, I am not gonna like, the "win a couple of races" goal being there is making me think they are somewhat optimistic on their chances. I wasn't expecting them to fight for the championship this year anyway, but if they actually manage to win >=1 races, I think it would be a decent season.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 21:47
Apparently Zak Brown spoke at the Oxford Union today and was happy to share some goals for the team this season.

Mainly:
  • He predicts Ferrari to be much more competitive this year, and for McLaren to be off the pace to Ferrari in comparison to last year, but closer to Mercedes and Red Bull (so remaining 4th)

Goal is to close the gap, win a couple of races, make it into Q3 as much as possible

New investments last year has allowed for the construction of a new wind tunnel and simulator, to be completed in 2023 - he predicts that the first year that McLaren will be able to build a championship contending car is 2024.
For an overall summary

So don't get your hopes too high for this season people! Although, I am not gonna like, the "win a couple of races" goal being there is making me think they are somewhat optimistic on their chances. I wasn't expecting them to fight for the championship this year anyway, but if they actually manage to win >=1 races, I think it would be a decent season.
Maybe going with a similar philosophy like last year in terms of maximizing strengths? Building a car suitable for a given type of track (a fast track like Monza or Spa) and expecting to maximize results at venues like those.

It’s also probably a matter of managing expectations… But, they are fully aware of what the gaps are in the team and what they need to cover them and those gaps are what creates the potential gap to the top 3

Mclarensenna

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-w ... late-2022/

UPDATE: New wind tunnel end of 2022, new simulator mid 2023, and new machinery used to manufacture parts has no end date still. The first car fully designed with all the new infrastructure will be the 2024 Mclaren!
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

Jolle
Jolle

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 23:51
Emag wrote:

Mainly:

For an overall summary

Maybe going with a similar philosophy like last year in terms of maximizing strengths? Building a car suitable for a given type of track (a fast track like Monza or Spa) and expecting to maximize results at venues like those.

It’s also probably a matter of managing expectations… But, they are fully aware of what the gaps are in the team and what they need to cover them and those gaps are what creates the potential gap to the top 3
Just imagine a Ron Dennis interview at this point: our aim is to dominate, even if he was standing besides two flat tires and a broken engine.

They really changed the tone!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 03:10
SmallSoldier wrote:
Emag wrote:

Mainly:

For an overall summary

Just imagine a Ron Dennis interview at this point: our aim is to dominate, even if he was standing besides two flat tires and a broken engine.

They really changed the tone!
I can actually imagine Ron saying that!

Herr_Koos

SmallSoldier wrote:

This point was discussed in a recent podcast by The Race, and I tend to agree with their view. The last three or four cars were built around a similar philosophy, and the slow-speed weakness could never really be fully addressed. Given that the 22 car is a clean sheet design, McLaren really should try and build a good base design that works well everywhere. A one-trick pony will give you good results at some tracks, sure, but if McLaren want to win races and championships again they should not be thinking short-term gains.
Danny Ric's feedback from last year will hopefully help them dial out the characteristics that made the 35B such a struggle for him, and thus build a more well-rounded car.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Herr_Koos wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 09:20
SmallSoldier wrote:

This point was discussed in a recent podcast by The Race, and I tend to agree with their view. The last three or four cars were built around a similar philosophy, and the slow-speed weakness could never really be fully addressed. Given that the 22 car is a clean sheet design, McLaren really should try and build a good base design that works well everywhere. A one-trick pony will give you good results at some tracks, sure, but if McLaren want to win races and championships again they should not be thinking short-term gains.
Danny Ric's feedback from last year will hopefully help them dial out the characteristics that made the 35B such a struggle for him, and thus build a more well-rounded car.
I think they will do just that. There was an interview with James Key where he addressed McLaren’s intention to pursue low-speed improvements.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Herr_Koos wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 09:20
SmallSoldier wrote:

James Key alluded to this just last month...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... r/7647234/

Herr_Koos

Good to see the team confirming it. I'm also hoping that, given this is Key's first clean-sheet design with the team, they won't turn up with too conservative of a car, but something with innovative bits on it. Fingers crossed.

bauc

BASED ON OUR 2021 LIVERY :o :o :o :o

So there is a chance we will see something new on that side as well .... [-o<
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Herr_Koos

bauc wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 13:11

BASED ON OUR 2021 LIVERY :o :o :o :o

So there is a chance we will see something new on that side as well .... [-o<
Agreed, after two years of identical liveries, I think it's time for something fresh.

djos

I dunno, the Malboro and West liveries were used for years and looked great the entire time to me.

Personally, I like the '21 livery.
"In downforce we trust"

Balalu
Balalu

No need for major livery changes. The team should keep an identity with its image.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

bauc

djos wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 13:28
I dunno, the Malboro and West liveries were used for years and looked great the entire time to me.

Personally, I like the '21 livery.
I like current livery as well, I just want to see small fresh changes.... West & Vodafone liveries were great but they were also updated every year with small changes
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Lucky
Lucky

Herr_Koos wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 13:25
Agreed, after two years of identical liveries, I think it's time for something fresh.